AudioLink / Audio2Ear app when not online

polyesternapkinstowaway

• HearPeers Heroes

Question on using AudioLink to stream from my phone via the Audio2Ear app. Every time I open the Audio2Ear app it seems to need to login. What happens if I'm in a place where I have no connectivity, out in the woods someplace or on a plane - can I then not stream audio? I put my phone into Airplane mode and tried it and it just says "Server not found". This is a bit of an issue...

@MED-EL Moderator

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

It is an issue in more ways than one.  People are frustrated and talking about that exact thing.  It seems we may need to always have the cables available for times we can not use the app. Not ideal at all.

But....as far as use on a plane.  Check your Med-El manuals because I believe AudioLink is not permitted to be used on planes. (Just like Roger system)  Also check your Sonnet 2 manual about flight mode setting for use on planes.

A high quality around the ear headphone set (BOSE QC35) works great on planes. (They also did not cause feedback with my hearing aid but test that out in a store first.)

Another option is to purchase the FM battery cover for Sonnet 2 and the red jack audio in cable (mixes 90/10) which then plugs into a headphone jack.  If your HA has direct audio in, you can use a splitter to give yourself two headphone jacks.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth I don't personally expect to be on a plane any time soon, it's more the if I'm out in the world away from civilization and I want to listen to music or something. I don't know why I should need to login to an app to be able to use streaming. Or in the event of a storm and the power and cell networks go out , which is a thing many millions of folks experienced this past week with Isaias.

I can understand from an authorization standpoint, but, the AudioLink isn't going to be in the hands of anyone who doesn't have a CI, and even if it does, through eBay or something, it's not as if they'd be able to do anything with it.

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

Before Med-El released that app they were recommending other A2DP converter apps.  Those other apps will stream all audio from your phone to your AudioLink.  Whenever A2DP converter apps are used (Med-El’s app or others) we may experience a change in audio quality.

You may want to download a second A2DP converter app so when the Audio2Ear app does not work, you have another option.

I agree with you completely and other Med-El users are saying the same thing.  There is no need to have to sign in again or be verified every time you use the app.  It is very limiting that way.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth Thanks for the suggestion; I didn't even know that's what it's doing. I wonder why I can't just route audio to the Audiolink directly? My phone sees it as a headset, and I don't have to specifically route a call to it... I don't have to do anything to send audio to my hearing aid; I just start playing it and it comes through. Hm...I'll see what other apps I can come up with. It's interesting the user manual makes no mention of even needing an app to get sound out of your device.

Also in the manual it says that it shouldn't be used in flight unless it's permitted to be used in flight so...that's clear. I'm guessing it's just like any other device and can be used once they say devices can be used. Over the long term I will probably get the cables you mention; I'd seen those on the website previously.

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

Have you considered submitting a review of the app in the App Store?  Lots of people are complaining about this limitation yet only one review is posted.  I would hope that the app designers would pay attention to reviews of their app.  Just a thought.

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

No, the limitation in flight is due to its range.  Just like the Roger System.  They are not recommended for use in flight during the entire flight.  I’ll look for an explanation and post a link.

AudioLink was designed in a similar connectivity fashion as Roger unfortunately.  Both are BT direct only for actual phone calls.  

Yes HAs have much more advanced connectivity options.  I hope our CIs catch up soon.  I look forward to direct true stereo BT from all phones for all audio with no intermediary device (AudioLink) and the use of our processor mic to return our voice during calls.

• HearPeers Heroes
5 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@phobos512

and the use of our processor mic to return our voice during calls.

Uh...what microphone does it use for sending voice during a call?

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

This pertains to the Roger System but you will see the similarities 

6E2A1C8A-D701-4CA9-92EE-B6747F687750.jpeg

7CB2E5C3-6EC5-4EE7-8847-7FA4CAE11D64.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

The manual for the AudioLink doesn't have that limitation, it states:
https://fccid.io/VNP-AL/User-Manual/User-manual-4296618.pdf

Air travel

In addition to EASA (European Aviation Safety Agency) and FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) requirements, airline regulations require suspending wireless operations before boarding an airplane. AudioLink should not be used on aircrafts unless specifi‑cally permitted by the flight personnel. Please secure your AudioLink by placing it, for instance, in a garment pocket.

Having done aviation electromagnetic effects requirements development and testing for six years, I personally wouldn't be at all concerned about using one of these (or the Roger, for that matter), on a plane. The power output is far too low to have any deleterious affects on avionics in the aircraft.

• HearPeers Heroes
20 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@phobos512

Have you considered submitting a review of the app in the App Store?  Lots of people are complaining about this limitation yet only one review is posted.  I would hope that the app designers would pay attention to reviews of their app.  Just a thought.

I did. 😀

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

Interesting.  What does your Sonnet 2 manual say about flight mode?  I am wondering if entering flight mode disables its connection to the AudioLink?

If you test it out let us know.  Interesting 

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

This is what I read that makes me think the Sonnet 2 will not connect to the AudioLink when in flight mode.  It’s from Med-El’s Sonnet 2 manual.

But sometimes info in manuals change.

FA0DDB95-4A60-4654-B096-3E1C6C2C2810.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth Honestly I suspect given the timelines over which these devices are produced that the language is out of date for current restrictions. When travel was a thing, I used to see plenty of people using Bluetooth headphones on planes. Think of how many phones these days don't have headphone jacks, and how ubiquitous AirPods or whatever have become now. You can't leave your house without seeing twenty people wearing them.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth Well now this brings up another question - is Flight Mode a setting that has to be enabled? I've followed the procedure in the manual three different times and I cannot get the Sonnet 2 into flight mode.

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

That is a good question.  I wonder why you can not get into flight mode?  Is flight mode mentioned on your user manual?

AudioLink and Roger both use different kinds of far reaching transmitters.  They are different than just connecting via BT to our phones/tablets.  Or for some reason they fall under different rules than a regular BT connection.  Tech changes rapidly.  AudioLink is newer but Roger has had these flight restrictions for years and still has these flight restrictions under FAQ on their website.

I use my BOSE QC35 BT headphones when flying.  Love them!  And I’m not a fan of cables.  Smiles.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth You might find this bit interesting...

By nature of my job I had to submit all the FCC information to my security folks so I have all those links handy. Here they are for a fair amount of the current Med-El tech:

Fine Tuner: https://fccid.io/VNP-FT
Fine Tuner Echo: https://fccid.io/VNP-FTE
Sonnet: https://fccid.io/VNP-ME1300
Sonnet 2: https://fccid.io/VNP-ME1500
AudioLink: https://fccid.io/VNP-AL

According to the information in the links above, the AudioLink puts out 1 milliWatt (mW) and the Sonnet 2 puts out 4 mW.

Here's your headphones, by way of comparison...

QuietComfort 35: https://fccid.io/A94419811

They put out almost 20x as much power as the AudioLink does (19 mW). And that's how I know it's not a problem 😁

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

Matt,

That is really cool.  I wonder why there is a flight mode for Sonnet 2?

very interesting.

Thank you for sharing the links.  Did you see a link for Rondo 3?

• HearPeers Heroes
19 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@phobos512

Matt,

That is really cool.  I wonder why there is a flight mode for Sonnet 2?

very interesting.

Thank you for sharing the links.  Did you see a link for Rondo 3?

I didn't see the information for any of the Rondos in the database, actually. The only other processor in there was the Samba 2 which is not a CI processor as I learned by clicking the link.

It turns out that I think I actually did get my Sonnet 2 into flight mode but for some reason the lights aren't blinking the way it shows in the PDF manual online (have I mentioned I hate paper manuals?). After following the steps I tried getting the AudioLink to talk to the processor and it wouldn't; rebooting made them talk again. So clearly, it was in flight mode.

I'll write more in a different spot about my morning experience with the AudioLink.

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

Rondo 1 and Rondo 2 do not have a built in 2.4 wireless receiver.  Eventually Rondo 3 will show up in the FCC list because it has built in receivers like the Sonnet 2.

• HearPeers Heroes

@phobos512

I agree.  Printed manuals are not sufficient.  Access to all of the info found in the printed manuals when we are away from home is possible by downloading the manuals in pdf format.  Processor manuals are not on Med-El’s website.  Accessory manuals sometimes are.  Quick guides are.  And there is info in their support section.

I wish the entire processor manual was on Med-El ‘s website in pdf downloadable format.  I like having them on my phone.  When I find them, I download them.

@MED-EL Moderator Is this something Med-El will consider?  The manuals are very helpful but not practical to carry around.

On 8/8/2020 at 4:30 PM, Mary Beth said:

@phobos512

I agree.  Printed manuals are not sufficient.  Access to all of the info found in the printed manuals when we are away from home is possible by downloading the manuals in pdf format.  Processor manuals are not on Med-El’s website.  Accessory manuals sometimes are.  Quick guides are.  And there is info in their support section.

I wish the entire processor manual was on Med-El ‘s website in pdf downloadable format.  I like having them on my phone.  When I find them, I download them.

@MED-EL Moderator Is this something Med-El will consider?  The manuals are very helpful but not practical to carry around.

Hi @Mary Beth ,

Thanks for your feedback. Right now, we cannot include the Use Manuals on medel.com for regulatory reasons, but we hope to offer this in the future.

Kind regards, Mary 

• HearPeers Heroes

Fortunately they're on the FCC's website :) Though of course they may be out of date.

I wanted to add, after reviewing Med-El's website I did see a suggestion to try the "BT Mono" app on Android, and while I do get a warning starting it the first time that it was designed to work with earlier versions of Android, it does work just fine to activate streaming. I just have to pick up a Play Store gift card to get the "pro" version for widget functionality, since I had such a snafu with Google and my credit card a little over a year ago and I refuse to now give them another one.