Cochlear implant for single sided deafness

Hurricaneone

I had a labyrinthectomy of the left ear due to Ménière’s disease in 2011 . I am in the process of getting a implant. My cochleae is ok in the deaf ear . I am having this done at Emory university Atlanta Georgia. My good ear sometimes stops up from allergies and life can be difficult i is n crowds ect . I would love to hear from anyone that has had a implant for single sided deafness. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hurricaneone

Welcome!

I had a transcanal labrynthectomy in my right ear due to Meniere’s following unsuccessful stapendectomy surgeries.  My right ear was “dead” for 24 years before being implanted.  My cochlea was difficult but my surgeon was able to insert the electrode array completely.  When I was activated several weeks after surgery everything sounded like static and beeps but within hours speech started to arrive and the journey was fantastic!  It is an amazing CI ear.  Aural rehab activities helped me a lot. You can find lots of rehab info in our rehab topic.

I will tag @Kylie and @VeroNika and @Gemma who have all shared their single sided deaf with CI experiences.

Which processor did you choose?

I am in the early stage of the process . I have had the mri to make sure my cochleae was ok  , and other testing . I am waiting on a call from Dr Mattox Emory university. As soon as everything lines up I will have my surgery. I am having trouble with the good ear and allergies. Bad weather and allergies cause swelling which leads to a slight drop in hearing. I take allergy shots and when I flare up I take a burst of prednisone. Thank you for any help as I move through this. This is very frustrating. Larry 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hurricaneone

I wish you the best Larry. Keep us posted and feel free to ask any questions you may have.  We are a friendly group.

Does the implant help with tinnitus? I have low to medium tinnitus in the deaf ear . It would be a huge plus if this reduces tinnitus 

Hi Larry

I’ve had a CI for single sided deafness. It has been great and I wouldn’t want to go back to the way I was before. My history is different to yours. I have no memory of having ever heard in my right ear. I was very fortunate to have the opportunity to  get a CI when I was 49. I have had it for 6 years now.

It takes time to get used to it, and everyone gets something different, but listening practice really helps.

You can see my story on the Medel blog https://blog.medel.com/a-hearing-therapist-chose-med-el-for-single-sided-deafness-ssd/

https://blog.medel.com/5-rehabilitation-tips-for-single-sided-deafness/

Happy to answer any questions 😊

• HearPeers Heroes

I also have single sided deafness, and have had great results so far (18 months.)  My hearing is well balanced with the 2 different ears, the brain is amazing at putting it together to make 1 sound. Though when I listen with 1 ear at a time the sounds are definitely different. Also my tinnitus has reduced too! That seems to be a common happy side effect.

Thank you all for being there for people like me who need encouragement. I go to Emory University November 11th to get the process started. I have been deaf in the left ear for over 10 years . I had a blow to the head in 1986 that developed into menieres years later . I am tired of the struggle that goes along with SSD . When my good ear get clogged from allergies or barometric pressure life gets complicated. I am looking at this as my new chapter in life . We will be talking as I go through this . Larry

• Like 2