Sonnet2 Rechargeable and Disposable Batteries

tmscarlett10

I was wondering if anybody could tell me, how do you know when to change your battery(ies) for Sonnet 2 (other than fact that the noise turns off lol)?

Right now I have no sound, so I cannot tell that way. I'm surprised that there is nothing in any of the books that tells you when you're supposed to change them. I mean, yeah the rechargeable standard lasts ~10hrs, and the rechargeable minis last ~7hrs, and the disposables last ~60hrs. Bit that all varies. 

Is there an indicator light or anything? 

Thanks! 

• HearPeers Heroes

There's a tone that sounds over the last two minutes of battery life. Additionally the light on the processor will flash red while wearing it if it's not putting out sound due to battery being low.

The battery life varies by the map and thus by user. I get almost exactly 8.5 hours with the standard (bigger) rechargeable with my first CI, a few minutes longer with my second, and on disposables that come with them (PowerOne) I get about two and a half days (36 ish hours).

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

Your audiologist can turn on/off both low battery beeps (which may not be helpful to you at the moment) and DL-coil light alert.

While you are waiting to learn why you do not hear anything yet, you could use the standard rechargeable battery and just change it at a set time everyday.

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

The alert light on the DL-coil for low battery alerts is designed to alert parents and teachers of low battery for young CI users. The alert beeps are designed to alert the CI user to low battery alerts.  Since you are not hearing through your CI, a fixed schedule for battery changes may be best.

@Mary Beth, I have not gotten a call about that appointment yet. I will call the office tomorrow. 

I have an appointment set with the audiologist next Friday; and I was told that they would like to do the imaging on the same day, if possible. 

Thank you @Mary Beth

I was actually just thinking of coming on here to update lol. 

So, nothing happened today; still no sound. 
My audi is talking about kinda leaving it alone to go ahead and move on to the right ear. She's going to have a talk with the surgeon; and my next appointment is probably going to be with the pair of them. 
She wants me to wear the processor now only a few hours a day, because she turned the level up really high, and she said it could possibly affect my balance. 
I'm not giving up hope, though, I am a little disappointed because she said we'd give it a couple of months, and it's only been a couple of weeks. I guess we'll see what the surgeon says.

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

I’m sorry this is happening to you.  I hope the plan for imaging to see the placement of the electrode array is still happening.  There is also special integrity testing that Med-El audiologists can perform with your clinical audiologist if needed.

Quick update...

So, I have not gotten a schedule for imaging. Instead, I have an appointment on Tuesday with the surgeon. And my next appointment that was pre-scheduled with my audi, is now set to be a second-side eval.

So obviously we are going to be talking about implanting the right ear, now. But why do I have to have another evaluation when that was the ear that was eligible for implanting at my last evaluation? I really don't want to have to do another one of those if I can help it. All it is is "I don't know", (guess), "uhhhh".

Did anyone have to do a second eval to go bilateral?

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

Both of my ears qualified and were pre-approved by my insurance for CIs.  We implanted my right ear.  When we were implanting the left ear more than 6 months had passed so another booth test was needed.

I hope your surgeon will image your first ear to ensure the electrode array is in the correct place.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

I had to have another hearing test that was up to date for insurance purposes but both ears qualified 4 years ago. My surgeon used my original MRI scan of both ears for my 2nd CI so I didn’t need to get that done. 

Also, I hope too that your surgeon will order an image to make sure everything is in the right place 🤞 

@Megan L., I really hope he orders the imaging too. And hopefully he can use that instead of me having to have another test. It's only been four months since my approved eval.... As if my hearing is just supposed to get better... Lol

Thank you @Mary Beth. I understand that some time has passed. In my case though, since we know for sure now that I only have the one ear - which is part of what got me approved for the right ear four months ago, not to mention that my hearing keeps declining - I feel like there shouldn't be any questioning it. 

I'll let you all know what happens tomorrow.