Upgrade to Rondo3?

MarkRichards

Hello

first post for me.  I am a new CI user, three weeks post activation.  I use the Rondo2 and I am delighted with it.  
Medel offers a free swap to Rondo3 when it is approved for use in Canada.   I’ve read the battery thread here and think I can live with that.  The 3’s dual mics, ASM, and noise suppression all sound like good things to have.  Has anyone moved to the 3 from the 2 and is it an improvement?

Thank you in advance

Mark

• HearPeers Heroes

@MarkRichards

Congratulations on your CI!

Dual mics help with hearing in noise.

Wishing you the best!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted on this site in a long time--I had some activity when I was first implanted, in 2017. I am going to be going to Mass Eye and Ear tomorrow to "test out" the Rondo 3. I current have a Sonnet and Rondo 1. I started off using the Rondo 1 all the time, mostly out of comfort. But as my hearing got better and better, the Sonnet surpassed the Rondo 1 for me in terms of function. The sound focus/directionality ability of the Sonnet is the main reason. It's so noticeable to me now when I wear my Rondo 1 that sound is coming from all over, and I am not able to hear/follow as well. But, the Sonnet is not comfortable at all (especially with glasses + mask).

The reason I am going to MEE to test the Rondo 3 is because I am not eligible for an upgrade, so I would need to purchase it out of pocket and I want to attempt to figure out how worth it is. I know iIt's going to be tough to figure out in one setting how well it works. The audiologist is going to take me around the hospital so I can attempt to be in higher noise situations.

I am wondering if anyone here has gone from Rondo 1 to 3 and what their experience has been. Again, I think the highest priority for me is if the directionality of sound is comparable to the Sonnet.

• HearPeers Heroes

@AliU83

That is great that Mass Eye & Ear are allowing you to test out the Rondo 3 with your audiologist at an appt.  terrific!

Presently Rondo 3 is using ASM 2 with its dual mics.  Exactly like Sonnet 1 and Sonnet 2.  Depending on the location of your internal magnet, Rondo 3 should perform very well in noise.

When ASM 3 is FDA approved and released in the US, Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 will have even better features for hearing well in noise using their new computer chip and adaptive intelligence.

Let us know how your test run with Rondo 3 goes.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I have been waiting for Rondo 3 availability for some time and finally my audiologist has messaged me that it will be available on full advance booking in 4-6 weeks. Do you think its wise to pay them in whole and it will be standard package. Does anyone know what includes in the standard package? 

On 3/16/2021 at 9:42 PM, AliU83 said:

Hi Everyone,

I haven't posted on this site in a long time--I had some activity when I was first implanted, in 2017. I am going to be going to Mass Eye and Ear tomorrow to "test out" the Rondo 3. I current have a Sonnet and Rondo 1. I started off using the Rondo 1 all the time, mostly out of comfort. But as my hearing got better and better, the Sonnet surpassed the Rondo 1 for me in terms of function. The sound focus/directionality ability of the Sonnet is the main reason. It's so noticeable to me now when I wear my Rondo 1 that sound is coming from all over, and I am not able to hear/follow as well. But, the Sonnet is not comfortable at all (especially with glasses + mask).

The reason I am going to MEE to test the Rondo 3 is because I am not eligible for an upgrade, so I would need to purchase it out of pocket and I want to attempt to figure out how worth it is. I know iIt's going to be tough to figure out in one setting how well it works. The audiologist is going to take me around the hospital so I can attempt to be in higher noise situations.

I am wondering if anyone here has gone from Rondo 1 to 3 and what their experience has been. Again, I think the highest priority for me is if the directionality of sound is comparable to the Sonnet.

Did you got to test Rondo 3? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

Processor kit items vary from country to country.  See if they will send you a list of items included in the kit.

18 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Salik

Processor kit items vary from country to country.  See if they will send you a list of items included in the kit.

In Rondo 2 standard package i got the artone neck loop, fine tuner, different colours of rondo 2 cover and wireless charging pad....maybe m missing few other stuff like hair clips etc etc. I think Rondo 3 standard package would be same. Btw do you know whats the total cost of Rondo3?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

sorry I don’t know.  Items in the kits and prices are different from country to country.

And in the US, the items included in kits changes quite often.  

@Mary Beth

Thanks for reminding me to follow up!  The Rondo 3 test went well--for only using it for a little while, I was able to comfortably determine that the quality of sound/microphones is very close to my Sonnet, and there's absolutely no doubt the Rondo 3 is substantially better than the Rondo 1. I think the only improvement of my Sonnet over the Rondo 3 is the mic placement. 

I was able to test this in the lobby of Mass Eye and Ear, where my audiologist and I (and some helpful security officers) created a noisy environment for me to switch between the Rondo 1, Rondo 3, and Sonnet for comparison.

My current situation is that Med-El will continue to service my Rondo 1 through this year, and then they will not be making parts for it anymore. If I buy the Rondo 3 now, it would be discounted, but still a lot of money. I haven't made a decision yet. I think if the battery life were longer and if it had direct connect to bluetooth I would commit to it.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@AliU83

very good points.

I am in the same situation with my Rondo 1 processors.  They can only be repaired through 2021 and accessories for them can only be purchased through 2021.  So I went ahead and purchased lots of waterwear covers (because I LOVE the form fitting Rondo waterwear) and also replacement battery packs.  My Rondo 1 processors have been so reliable.  Over 6 years and have never been replaced.

Although I was really attracted to Rondo 3 at first, users are reporting very short battery life with brand new Rondo 3 processors.  Some people are only getting between 12.5-15 hours.  That will not work for me.  So I will not get Rondo 3.

I have fallen in love with the Sonnet/Sonnet 2 AudioStream direct from phone streaming.  Absolutely fantastic.  Especially for music.  So when I upgrade, I will choose Sonnet 2.

Keep us posted on your decision.  Wishing you the best.

@Mary Beth

I was just about to purchase the AudioStream cover for my Sonnet--this will allow me to stream directly to devices with the cover on, correct? That will come in handy for not only music, but all my video meetings I have to do.

A 12-15 hour battery life won't work for me either. I find the Sonnet pretty uncomfortably to wear--while I am used to it at this point, it still makes my ear sore at the end of the day and I often hook it to the stem of my glasses. With all the mask-wearing now, it's even worse (mask, glasses, sonnet). So, the comfort of the Rondo 3 is definitely a huge factor. I think if I do not buy it now, when I do upgrade I will continue to own the Sonnet and add on the latest Rondo. If they can improve the two features, I will be sold.

• HearPeers Heroes

@AliU83

There are always improvements.  Who knows what Rondo 4 will bring?  Smile. I am hoping for a much longer lasting battery and an integrated BT receiver for direct streaming from phones.

AudioStream will stream ALL audio directly from the list of phones/tablets on the Med-El site .  It mixes 50/50 with Sonnet/Sonnet 2 mics.  I lower both volume and sensitivity and then increase the phone volume to change the mix when I want the streamed audio louder.  I will ask my audiologist to create a program just for those times so I can move into it faster.

AudioStream does not stream from computers/laptops.

@Mary Beth

I am so glad you told me that--all of my meetings are on my computer. That's a huge bummer.... sigh. I thought this was the solution. Good to know, so thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

@AliU83

Have you considered using the Artone TVB plugged into your computer and paired with the Artone neckloop with any processor on MT?

or

Roger Select plugged into the computer with a Roger receiver.... Roger MyLink works with all processors on MT as a neckloop receiver or Roger 21 Sonnet integrated battery door receiver

or

direct audio input cable from Med-El with the FM battery cover for Sonnet

or

AudioLink plugged into the computer and paired with Sonnet

@Mary Beth

I have occasionally used the Roger pen, plugged into my laptop, paired with the sonnet. But, I have many meetings in a day, so I often just opt to use laptop speakers since it requires no set up on my end. I can hear fine with normal audio on the laptop, it's just not ideal when other people are around. The audiosteam seemed to be the least hassle, and I could wear the new cover and just connect to audio during my meetings.

I've used the input cable before and I hate it--it pulls/weighs down the sonnet, making it too uncomfortable to wear.

Is audio link different than Roger pen?

• HearPeers Heroes

@AliU83

I agree the DAI cables are too heavy and too stiff.  They pull the processors off of my ears with just a slight turn of my head.

Audiolink is different than the Roger Pen.  Med-El makes the AudioLink.  Some people like it especially when cabled into a computer.  It streams directly to our Sonnet/Sonnet 2.  No extra pieces needed.  Some people prefer Roger plugged into computers.  Some like BT around the ear headphones like BOSE QC35.  I hesitate to recommend AudioLink because some people like it, others don’t and it is expensive and can not be returned for a refund.  So ...  I tend to recommend options that have a higher rating from users and can be returned for a refund.

For me....almost always I just use the computer speakers.  If I wanted a private video call, I would either....

Use my BOSE QC35 BT headphones

or

phone into the video call and use AudioStream or the Artone neckloop

or

plug the TVB into the computer and use the Artone neckloop

or

plug the Roger Select into the computer and use the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver

• HearPeers Heroes

@zeynepody

Which adaptive intelligence settings do you like on your Rondo 3?

How many hours is your battery lasting?