Upgrade to Rondo3?

MarkRichards

• HearPeers Heroes

@HuroniaGirl

I have no problem wearing the Sonnets.  I also wear glasses.  It doesn’t bother me.

But it is nice to wear my Rondo 1 processors and have nothing on my ears.

• 1 month later...

I started the thread and thought I’d update.  I just switched to rondo3 yesterday.  It has the rondo2’s config until I can get into Sunnybrook for programming.   I like that I can now use audiokey2 to adjust volume rather than the very dated finetuner remote.  
Not sure about the plug-in telecoil - wish it was built in.    I doubt the battery life will be a problem but we will see.
 My motivation for upgrading was to get better balance between the r3 and the hearing aid on my other side through asl and the ability to “tell” the r3 what hearing aid I have and for it to adjust its timing to match.  But I won’t see that until I visit Sunnybrook.   
I also quite like the r3’s clip on tether as opposed to the “loop under the case” on the r2

Enjoying, and learning from, the forum.

mark

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@MarkRichards

I am looking forward to following your posts on Rondo 3.  Thank you.

If you like using T (telecoil only) on Rondo 2, you can have your audiologist create a T only program on  Rondo 3.  Otherwise every time you attach the telecoil adapter you will be in MT.  It’s my understanding that we can have a separate T only program designed by our audiologists.  This would give us both MT (attach telecoil adapter and stay in everyday program) and T (special program) options.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/22/2021 at 5:32 PM, MarkRichards said:

I started the thread and thought I’d update.  I just switched to rondo3 yesterday.  It has the rondo2’s config until I can get into Sunnybrook for programming.   I like that I can now use audiokey2 to adjust volume rather than the very dated finetuner remote.  
Not sure about the plug-in telecoil - wish it was built in.    I doubt the battery life will be a problem but we will see.
 My motivation for upgrading was to get better balance between the r3 and the hearing aid on my other side through asl and the ability to “tell” the r3 what hearing aid I have and for it to adjust its timing to match.  But I won’t see that until I visit Sunnybrook.   
I also quite like the r3’s clip on tether as opposed to the “loop under the case” on the r2

Enjoying, and learning from, the forum.

mark

did you had Rondo 2? If so how's the differences now of rondo 2 map config in Rondo 3? does it help with background noise. Also hows the battery life? Looking forward to more of your reviews.

Responding to Salik - battery life is fine for me.  I put the R3 on at 630 and take it off around 11 and it’s fine.   My R3 is still running the R2 config and it sounds better, richer, but that might be just wishful thinking.  The sound management features are turned on next week.    
I do not like the telecoil stud.  It’s so small and it’s just doesn’t seem “locked” to the R3.    It also buzzes, even if I reduce the sensitivity, which is too bad.  It’s just not  as convenient as the R2’s built in coil.    But that is a side issue for me but might be more important to others.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@MarkRichards

Excellent news about your Rondo 3 battery life.  I think your report is the longest battery life from Rondo 3 that I have read.

What magnet strength are you using?

Level three magnet.   I would not be surprised if the the battery life decreases when the asm is enabled.  

On 6/4/2021 at 6:57 PM, MarkRichards said:

Responding to Salik - battery life is fine for me.  I put the R3 on at 630 and take it off around 11 and it’s fine.   My R3 is still running the R2 config and it sounds better, richer, but that might be just wishful thinking.  The sound management features are turned on next week.    
I do not like the telecoil stud.  It’s so small and it’s just doesn’t seem “locked” to the R3.    It also buzzes, even if I reduce the sensitivity, which is too bad.  It’s just not  as convenient as the R2’s built in coil.    But that is a side issue for me but might be more important to others.  

Sorry i didnt get about telecoil stud, about battery life seem normal as Rondo 2 but i guess once asm is activated that where we get to know the real battery life. Thanks for the review will be waiting for your next review, i m still on hold for ordering Rondo 3 due to battery life of 14-15hrs.

• Like 2

Sorry, should have written telecoil adaptor not stud.  
ASM has been activated and so far, just three days, I’m seeing the same battery life which is a surprise and inconsistent with what others report here.   Maybe that will change in weeks ahead.  Hope not. 
ASM is great for me.  Things like road noise from a nearby highway and the ventilation system on my commuter train are much more controlled.   I wear a hearing aid on right side and noise suppression is now much more balanced between HA and R3.  Before my HA would damp down, say, car noise on the right but the R2 wouldn’t and I’d think the car was to my left.    Sunnybrook also entered my HA model into the R3 - not sure I’m seeing any change but I hope I will be able to better locate sounds.  Early days.   
And all this is simply remarkable.  In Dec I couldn’t hear anything on my left side.  Nothing.  Now I can follow conversations even if I’m not focusing on the speaker.  Amazing.  

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@MarkRichards

Sounds like your CI journey is going very very well!  That is terrific!

Are you using adaptive intelligence mild or adaptive intelligence strong (ASM 3 settings)?

• HearPeers Heroes

@MarkRichards

Adaptive intelligence mild 

Adaptive intelligence strong

Ambient noise reduction 

Transient noise reduction

are all new terms in ASM 3.

(natural, adaptive, wind block were terms added in ASM 2) and are incorporated in ASM 3.

50 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@MarkRichards

Adaptive intelligence mild 

Adaptive intelligence strong

Ambient noise reduction 

Transient noise reduction

are all new terms in ASM 3.

(natural, adaptive, wind block were terms added in ASM 2) and are incorporated in ASM 3.

wow there's so many programmable features which is not available in Rondo 2, i guess i should not wait any longer and order Rondo 3.

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2021 at 8:56 PM, MarkRichards said:

ASM has been activated and so far, just three days, I’m seeing the same battery life which is a surprise and inconsistent with what others report here.   Maybe that will change in weeks ahead.  Hope not. 
ASM is great for me.  Things like road noise from a nearby highway and the ventilation system on my commuter train are much more controlled.   I wear a hearing aid on right side and noise suppression is now much more balanced between HA and R3.  Before my HA would damp down, say, car noise on the right but the R2 wouldn’t and I’d think the car was to my left.    Sunnybrook also entered my HA model into the R3 - not sure I’m seeing any change but I hope I will be able to better locate sounds.  Early days.   
And all this is simply remarkable.  In Dec I couldn’t hear anything on my left side.  Nothing.  Now I can follow conversations even if I’m not focusing on the speaker.  Amazing.  

On 6/12/2021 at 8:56 PM, MarkRichards said:

Thank you, Mark. I am getting my implant at Sunnybrook next Friday, 23. I still don't know which implant I am getting! But I'm expecting Med-El. I will continue to wear a Widex hearing aid on the left side. So I was interested that your audi 'told" the implant what hearing aid you wore. Does that mean they "communicate" with each other? I was sort of hoping for AB or Cochlear so that I could replace my 5 year old HA with a "compatible" HA as those companies have teamed up with HA manufacturers

It would be nice to start with most up to date technology. I am very tired of wearing a streamer all the time as it is the only way I can hear on the phone. However, I do have hope that I may not need to use a streamer for the phone anymore!

Your progress is very encouraging, hopefully I experience similar results.

I may be tapping you for more information in the coming weeks, cheers. S.

Good luck with the procedure.   I too thought I’d prefer a CI vendor that had a matching/optimized hearing aid for my other side and spent time looking at the options.    But, in Ontario, the CI choice seems to be made by the surgeon and they took me to Medel.  
My audiologist input the make of hearing aid into the rondo3 and the rondo adjusts how it processes and delivers signals to the auditory nerve.   They don’t “talk” to each other, the Rondo just changes it’s behavior to work with your HA.   Apparently my HA is slow, that is it takes time to process and deliver sound, and now the Rondo matches that.  And it works!  I’m getting much better at localizing sound with Rondo3 as opposed to the Rondo2 that doesn’t have this functionality.   The Medel communications materials say this is better then a matching hearing aid as you have more options with the HA - I have no way to know if that is truly accurate.  
My HA has “made for iPhone” functionality that I use for telephone calls on my iPhone.  I stream to the telecoil, and thus to both the HA and Rondo3, if I’m listening to music or podcasts.   I hope Medel will release a “made for iPhone” adapter for my Rondo3 as they did for the Sonnet2.
Sunnybrook, and their CI program, are terrific and you are in good hands.  Would be happy to answer any questions if I can.   
Mark

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@MarkRichards

That is so cool that you notice an improvement in locating sounds now that the timing of your Rondo 3 matches your hearing aid!

• 2 weeks later...

@MarkRichards well the change to AB was a last minute one when I "casually" inquired via email mail if the doctor had changed his mind and why, as MyChart showed me about to receive the AB. (That turned out to be a little glitch in their program which defaults to that, if I understood correctly.) I made it clear that I would accept the surgeon's decision, but admitted to liking the connectivity options and a "paired" HA if I received an AB implant. I received a reply shortly after, saying he used them interchangeably and was confident with both. So, I am now implanted with AB. 

Yes it is very hard to sift through all the info and wonder how much is marketing. I just want a fresh start with up to date equipment on both sides, that doesn't require an iPhone, or an intermediary BT device. But who really knows, other than the surgeons and audiologists, what is best for the patient? My audiologist seemed quite keen on the Rondo3, and it's ease of use and simple maintenance was definitely attractive. She will probably be perplexed at my choice. Well it's all water under the bridge, now. I won't second guess myself. I wish you the best in your rehab!!

@Mary Bethwell as you will have gathered, I did not join the MedEl community. The surgery went smoothly, but I am day 5 and still really struggling with motion-sickness. Perhaps I was way too naive going into this. However pain has been surprisingly minimal. So I just have to be patient and still, I guess, neither are something am especially good at! 

Thanks sincerely for your advice and encouragement. Over and out!!

• HearPeers Heroes

@HuroniaGirl

congratulations on being implanted!  Listening with CIs is terrific.  Wishing you the best on your CI journey.

• Thanks 1