New to CI

Mrs T7

Hi everyone. I’m Sonja, and I’m totally new in the CI world. Grew up in the “hearing” world, but struggled my whole life to “fit in”. I just received my external device a week ago and it’s been a wild ride of emotions. I have used hearing aids since I was 5yo, and never really understood “hearing” life. I always had negative experiences growing up: people yelling at me, being made fun of, picked on, not many friends....you get the drift. Now with this device [Rondo 3] I’m having a heck of a time adjusting. I guess I would love some feedback and/or encouragement that it will get better. I know it takes time, I suppose I was hoping to get a job ASAP afterwards, but still, not understanding speech with people. I get about 20% but not enough to get the whole content they may be speaking. Anyways, I’m blabbing away.  Hope to have some responses about your story of getting “plugged in” (as I like to say it 😎)

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Sonja @Mrs T7

congratulations on your CI!  Only one week ago so everything is so new and overwhelming.  We understand.  We are a friendly group.  I’m glad you found us.

I live in the US.  I’m not sure where you are from but have you had the chance to meet others with cochlear implants?  It helps to have a support group- near or virtual (like us).

I will tag you in our rehab topic where members have shared how we trained our brains to get used to the CI.

I hope to stick around and share your journey with us.  Wishing you the best! 

3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Hi @Mary Beth

Thank you for such a quick response. I am in the US as well, Pacific NW part of it.  I have not met anyone in person with a CI, but found some people on TikTok that have it.  On there, everyone has nothing but amazing things to say about it, which helps me be able to tell myself I made the right choice. It's been a struggle to not have anyone to talk to about it and help me understand things.  I don't know how to explain in words very well to hearing people what sounds seem to be too loud or uncomfortable.  I go in this week for a 2nd adjustment and I am writing everything down that I feel needs to be adjusted.  

I will most def be sticking around here.  I really like to link with alike people to have a better understanding what's happening in this new world.  Thank you again, I look forward for many many more conversations   

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mrs T7

If you want to meet a bunch of us, let me know and I will add you to our GoogleMeet next Sunday (early time for the Pacific NW).  It’s live captioned so no need to worry about hearing us.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mrs T7

In a moment I will send you a HearPeer private mail message to get your email address for the GoogleMeet invite.  Check at the top menu for the envelope icon.

It will be great to meet you Sonja 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello MrsT7 and welcome to the group where I'm sure you'll get the best help and advice. It doe's take time to get used to the implant but if you keep positive and have patience things will become easier, you'll find that you wont even be thinking about it. 😃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sonja, there's such a great supporting network here, I was just activated in December and def. things are slow but I feel progress slowly in the right direction. I love that people like Mary Beth are so knowledgeable and sharing of time and it really makes a huge difference. I especially appreciated all the other insights I can get and not just rely on my audiologist etc. 

@Mr-LJ and @Jared Charneythank you.  I really appreciate the feedback a ton.  Does help the journey and understanding of what is going on as well as having like people understand the journey too.  Def hard to explain to "hearing" people what's happening, and I wished there was something for them to listen to, to be able to "hear" what we are going through.  

I look forward in seeing everyone on this platform, it will def make me a lot happier to know I made the right choice and have real humans to interact with ;)