Pain in Cochlear implant after 1yr of surgery

Hima

Hi all,

can any one please let me know if you have experienced this situation.

my daughter has cochlear implants for both the ears. Left ear surgery done in Jan 3019 & right ear surgery Nov-2019. Everything was well until last month. Since 3 weeks she is complaining of pain on her right side with/without using processor. We gave a break of 2 weeks by not putting processor, changed the magnetic strength, reduced the program but she still complaining of the pain.

her ENt and audiologist do not find any infections/swelling and hence they did not suggest any medicine.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hima

I am sorry your daughter is experiencing this.  Which processor does she use?

I have a friend with a different brand of CI (not Med-El), who experienced pain like you describe.  Her CI surgeon scheduled a biopsy and sent the samples to be analyzed.  Turns out she had an infection that grew on her internal component.  She was treated with strong medication which thankfully resolved the problem completely.

Wishing your daughter the best.

Thank you for your response. She Uses both sonnet 2 and ronda-2 for her right ear. 

did your friend had swelling which can be identified by looking? My ENT doe not see any sweeping and is considering there might not be any issues but daughter is complaining since 3weeks

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hima

My friend did not have any noticeable swelling.  She had pain.  It was painful with her CI on and painful with her CI off.  It hurt a lot when touched.  Brushing her hair in that area was very painful.  She could no longer sleep on that side of her head.

The CI surgeon could not find the problem until he did the biopsy and sent the samples away.

Thank you.

I brush her hair very lightly but she is not allowing me to touch the CI part and since yesterday she is complaining of her right eye and eyebrow pain

sometimes she complain of dizziness and heavy head

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hima

I hope you can get another appt soon. If it was me, I would call today.  

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery.