Using AudioStream with laptop/desktop computers for video calls

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Since AudioStream only works on phones/tablets, it can not stream audio from our laptop/desktop computers during video meetings.

But, we can choose to join the video meeting on our laptop/desktop and call in for audio on our phones.  This would let us use AudioStream during those video meetings.  We just need to place our phone on the table in front of us do it can pick up our voice for others.

Has anyone tried this?

I couldn't try this till now as I am still awaiting my instance of AudioStream.

Nevertheless. On a Mac you can use Airfoil + Airfoil Satellite to route your audio to a smartphone that is compatible with AudioStream. There has been a version for Windows, too, but that's no longe supported.

On Linux you can use vlc/cvlc to grab audio output (from pulseaudio) and provide an integrated http-server that delivers a transcoded audio-stream to any webbrowser. With your smartphone you can then open a webbrowser to stream from your PC and listen with Med-EL's AudioStream. This of course works for any MFi or ASHA capable device.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dani

I hope you get your AudioStream soon so you can test this out and report back!

airfoil and airfoil satellite info can be found here for anyone else who is curious

https://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/satellite/ios/

• 2 weeks later...

@John RI can't remember but have you used the ARtone and if so how does it compare to the AudioLink for you when you are rehabbing ? thanks!

@Mary BethI know you don't use AudioLink but my question is this: do you hear a lot of static with the Artone? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney  I have the AudioLink but you are correct that I choose not to use it as it is not the best streaming option for me.

The Artone, which I do use everyday, is a much better match for me.

I do not hear static when streaming from the Artone.  

• Like 1

@Mary Beth and @Jared Charney Never tried the Artone, I will ask my Audi or MED-EL to get me one to trial. 

Right now I use the Roger Select its great. I also have the Roger Pen, its better than the AudioLink also has the phone integration to both my HA and CI, and streams all at once that's cool, but for pure streaming the Select sounds best 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

Since you prefer the Select, have you tried using it’s BT feature for your phone?  It has the same BT ability as the Roger Pen.  

4CD5FEBC-6F5A-4F9B-B7C3-5229D1EEEEE1.png

48E5262D-6C63-4AB3-8724-56FECBEFA416.png

7BFAFD3D-6D40-48C9-962A-E49D4CB7E568.png

DF398049-863A-4575-B6E7-579567691FFF.png

BF58004B-21FF-42B7-BA18-F922F2C9B607.png

872FA071-468F-427F-8F5D-5279180DC1AB.png

31725750-671A-42FC-83EA-D2F6B68D1D26.png

02328CEB-9091-4838-B694-293666EEE1DD.png

Yes I have but its not as convenient as the clip on pen from your shirt collar when out and about 

• HearPeers Heroes

@John R

I have had good luck with the Select’s magnetic clip on my shirt.

I am glad you are figuring out which connectivity tech helps you in various situations.

I think I am more of a one connectivity device kind of user.  One device to charge.  Only one device to pair to my phone, etc.  Only one device to bring along if I choose.

Except for streaming, I do not use any devices.  Just put on my processors and go about my day.  I stay in one program and do not change the volume/sensitivity settings.  

But tech interests me and I like to test out various tech options to best be able to help others who like using various tech in their daily lives.  And tech changes so rapidly.

Regarding the original post, I have joined many video calls with both my phone and computer and used AudioStream for audio to/from the phone, and (as backup) I have my over-the-ear headphones connected to the computer. This give me the big screen + keyboard advantage of the computer with the AudioStream capability. You might lose the video conference feature where it shows your camera feed to everyone when you talk though. Unless you're running the camera from the phone.

Another option (for Mac) is the app "Airfoil" and the companion app for iPhone "Satellite" by Rogue Amoeba software. This enables streaming whatever audio is playing on your Mac to you iPhone. But there is a slight delay 😞

FWIW, the AudioStream can't pair with the Mac because the Mac doesn't support connecting to these types of hearing aids. It is not MED-EL's lack of support. Other such hearing aids have the same limitation.

Note: If you have feature requests or find bugs, Apple takes input from customers! Goto https://feedbackassistant.apple.com/ or launch the "Feedback Assistant" app on Mac or iOS and give your feedback or make your request. You'd think it'd never make a difference, but Apple is *very efficient* at routing customer feedback to the appropriate people, and those people are passionate about making their customers happy. Also, duplicate requests for the same feature/bug go a long way to increasing the priority of issues. I've made the request to find a way to support hearing devices on Mac, we'll see how it goes.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Justin

We are a happy Apple household.  I followed your link to request Mac support for hearing devices but I end up at this screen.  Which should I select?

A770F7AF-E39C-4FFE-B238-313D8AD642FB.png

Oh, interesting. That's for developers... I thought we had a direct channel. What I see is different, because I guess I'm still registered as an external developer. Let me look.

OK. "Regular" customers can use this page, and click into the most relevant product (ex: MacBook Pro would probably also apply to all Macs and MacOS). 

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

If you want more clout, do sign on to the Beta Software program, run the latest software, make sure Apple didn't already add your feature/solve you bug, and if not, then submit feedback using the Feedback Assistant. FWIW, that Feedback Assistant pipes directly into Apple's issue tracking process - submissions will get noticed. Also, Apple's Beta software is very well vetted before it is "seeded" to beta testers. The period when major releases are being seeded (historically from July to September, but I promise/insinuate nothing) will be the most volatile/risky. The rest of the year, the beta software is minimally different from the final releases. There is a teeny risk you are impacted by an issue... If you care about something enough to have Apple change it, it is well worth the effort to make your voice heard!

(And FWIW, I think the same is likely true for MED-EL and Google and Android device manufacturers. They all rely on customer feedback.)

• 9 months later...

Have you ever tried to get a new Bluetooth 5.0 USB Adapter and use and pair it with Audiostream? I believe that it would work with Audistream on laptops and on smart TV after plugging BT 5.0 USB Adapter on, because Audiostream has a Bluetooth 5.0 built in and does not get on well with the devices which have Bluetooth 2.4 built in...

That's right! BTLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) is 5.0 already and new tech. BT is currently 2.4/4.0 , but BTLE is 5.0. So, unfortunately , the two BTs do not know their languages, smile))) 

Edited by mertmur
BT might be also 4.0

In order to connect and pair Audiostream with devices - we have to get a new 5.0 BT USB Adapter to plug in...we cannot re-place 5.0 BTLE built into old hearing aids. So, better to get a new hearing aid which has built in 5.0 BTLE or...Artone Neckloop is still best option for CI and the other old HA...and if you have a new HA (built in 5.0 BTLE), then, audiostream will bimodally stream to CI and new HA. That's my opinion. Best regards!

Bluetooth by design is backwards compatible. Any BT 5.0 will have no problem communicating with any previous versions including the legacy classic Bluetooth (think legacy flip phones from the 2000s). The recent Bluetooth Low Energy (BTLE) versions (4.0 - 4.2, 5.0) just offers better range, power consumption, among other features but still remains to be backwards compatible. 

The main issue is in pairing with the AudioStream. I don't know enough on exactly how the AudioKey2 sets up the AudioStream but there's currently no way for the laptops to pair with it. It's a software issue. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe bimodally streaming to a HA and Sonnet/Sonnet2 with AudioStream simultaneously is limited to some android phones and a few HA models at this time.  Med-El has a list of compatible phones and HAs.  I do not think bimodal streaming is available yet for iPhones.

• 2 months later...
On 3/10/2021 at 12:10 PM, Justin said:

OK. "Regular" customers can use this page, and click into the most relevant product (ex: MacBook Pro would probably also apply to all Macs and MacOS). 

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

I just sent in a feature request. thanks for the link!

• 2 months later...

Hi @RogerThat and @Mary Beth! I have Sonnet with AudioStream and trying to make it work with my Windows 11 laptop. Problem is that if I try audio relaying apps like Airfoil it fails as I have Windows laptop and iPhone. When connecting directly it connected once, but since that time it doesn't connects anymore. Maybe I can install AudioKey2 on my PC with Android emulator and try to set it up? Do you have any news regarding how to make laptop -> AudioStream work?

Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

@Enegra

Did you mention that you found a way to use AudioStream with a computer?