Practicing listening to speech in noise

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Listening to speech in noise is challenging for many cochlear implant users. I find it helpful to practice listening to speech in noise.  These apps and activities help me hear better in noise.  I hope they help you too.  Wishing you the best!  

click on each pic and zoom in to read

254F2AED-9DF3-4FCE-91EA-A56F14363478.png

97CDE235-83D0-4D6F-B71E-1EE60940B62D.png

E763D8BA-CB21-4DE4-97DC-2934ECDA484B.png

@Mary BethI don't know if this falls into this category but one thing that was wonderful was going out to eat (full vaccinated) and although the rest. of course is not at capacity it was still very loud but I found that (even though I'm not hearing in my implanted ear that much yet) I could hear my wife so much better as I wasn't battling my tinnitus or the frustration that would always come with it. When the rest. got so loud that I was having problems I used the Mic on my AudioLink and turned off the speaker on the implant and that was a real revelation. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

definitely listening in noisy restaurants falls under listening to speech in noise!

Tell us about your “real revelation “

• Like 1

The fact that in noisy situations I’m not plagued by the tinnitus is allowing me to have part if my life back even though speech perception is still a challenge 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 3:31 PM, Mary Beth said:

Listening to speech in noise is challenging for many cochlear implant users. I find it helpful to practice listening to speech in noise.  These apps and activities help me hear better in noise.  I hope they help you too.  Wishing you the best!  

click on each pic and zoom in to read

254F2AED-9DF3-4FCE-91EA-A56F14363478.png

97CDE235-83D0-4D6F-B71E-1EE60940B62D.png

E763D8BA-CB21-4DE4-97DC-2934ECDA484B.png

Still working on my android app. I added ocean and cafe background for all the modules. It's getting more comprehensive slowly.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/getanearful

• 8 months later...
On 5/29/2021 at 1:09 AM, pdk said:

Still working on my android app. I added ocean and cafe background for all the modules. It's getting more comprehensive slowly.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/getanearful

hi @pdk, Do you have any plans to upload this to the Play Store? If not, would this app work in an Android simulator ala https://developer.android.com/studio/run/emulator (since I use an iPhone and can't sideload apps on my work Android)? Thanks! :) 

Hi Annette

The short answer is yes. However I think you would need to install the whole android development program and then you would need the source.

The reason for developing the app on Android was because in South Africa the android phone dominates the the market and I wanted an English accent.  The iPhone has angel which does all you can think of.

Email me at pdk.knight@gmail.com if you want to pursue this.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks @pdk. I might set up Android SDK when I have some time (which I've done with past phones back when installing alternative ROMs was a thing and before I switched to iPhone) (though having the English accent would make it more challenging for me, given my North American native accent :) ). I have been getting a lot of benefit from the AB Word Success and Angel Sounds so far. I also have been using ordinary music playing on another device to provide "background noise" to make these apps more challenging.

5 hours ago, AnnetteT said:

Thanks @pdk. I might set up Android SDK when I have some time (which I've done with past phones back when installing alternative ROMs was a thing and before I switched to iPhone) (though having the English accent would make it more challenging for me, given my North American native accent :) ). I have been getting a lot of benefit from the AB Word Success and Angel Sounds so far. I also have been using ordinary music playing on another device to provide "background noise" to make these apps more challenging.

I hope all your rehab is making the difference. You are welcome to the code if you decide to load android studio. It would be good to try and find someone with an android phone and try it out. The app is very relaxed, no scoring, repeat as often as you like and 4 back ground sounds. Also works totally off line.

On 3/5/2022 at 9:32 PM, pdk said:

I hope all your rehab is making the difference. You are welcome to the code if you decide to load android studio. It would be good to try and find someone with an android phone and try it out. The app is very relaxed, no scoring, repeat as often as you like and 4 back ground sounds. Also works totally off line.

@pdkThank you! I think the rehab is helping as I'm less than 3 weeks post-activation and am enjoying music to an extent and am understanding quite a bit of speech (though still use captions).

Actually I completely forgot that I have a cheap android tablet in a box somewhere in the basement. Finding that might be easier than installing android dev tools :)

5 minutes ago, AnnetteT said:

@pdkThank you! I think the rehab is helping as I'm less than 3 weeks post-activation and am enjoying music to an extent and am understanding quite a bit of speech (though still use captions).

Actually I completely forgot that I have a cheap android tablet in a box somewhere in the basement. Finding that might be easier than installing android dev tools :)

Some of us are so lucky to be able to hear well again so quickly. I could listen to the piano parts of Beethoven 5th symphony after 2 weeks. I still use streaming for movies on TV, but news and documentaries I can hear clearly.

I did use Angel a lot in the beginning. I converted the sentences from angel into an app which was really useful  ( bendmyear) Hope your old tablet has a valid operating system.