Deep Bass

Evren

Hello all,

I've been using Rondo 2 with Flex28 for 1.5 years and so far doing fairly great. I have an issue with some frequencies of deep bass tones, say the intro of Ice Ice Baby or Billie Jean. I can't hear the bass tones with my rondo 2 on, not even with Artone 3 Max. But with my unimplanted ear (which had equal amount of hearing loss with the implanted one) I can hear well with headphones.

The question is: i can't hear deep bass with my implanted side either with rondo 2 or residual hearing (i used to hear before surgery as like my other ear). Is this normal, or should i need re-mapping for better low-freq sounds?

For comparison: I can hear this guy's bass cover of Ice Ice Baby with my Rondo 2 on:

(8) Ice Ice Baby - Vanilla Ice (Bass Cover) - YouTube

But i can't hear it on the actual song:

(8) Vanilla Ice - Ice Ice Baby (Official Music Video) - YouTube

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Evren

You most certainly can explore MAPping changes to add more bass tones in music.  Some people like to have a special music program.

Our audiologists set the frequency range for our CIs.  Most use the default setting.  However depending on which frequency range your programs are set to, there may be a way to extend the lower frequency even lower.

Listening to music with my BTE Med-El processors in omni mic setting (Rondo 2 uses omni mic setting as well), I experience different degrees of bass tones depending on how I access the music.  For example, BOSE QC35 around the ear headphones have fabulous bass tones. AudioStream direct BT Sonnet/Sonnet 2 has very good bass tones.  I love using the Artone neckloop for speech but it does not have the best quality for music listening for me.

Hi @Mary Beththanks for the reply!

I'm going to ask my audi about this. I feel like some low frequency sounds are muffled even in speech, doesn't seem so natural. Everything's fine with high pitch sounds. I'm going to update once I got an info or reMAPping, just need to wait couple of weeks because my country is in full covid lockdown at the moment. 

Have you tried to find out your actual hearing range using this yt-video? https://youtu.be/h3ieBX5LWYg

Depending on your adjustments you may hear nothing at all after half a second. In this case you don't have any program optimised for music (ambient and transient noise reduction, etc. turned off). I can *hear* down to 60Hz. It sounds very well at 70Hz (Rondo's technical limit anyway).

On 5/4/2021 at 1:19 PM, Dani said:

Have you tried to find out your actual hearing range using this yt-video? https://youtu.be/h3ieBX5LWYg

Depending on your adjustments you may hear nothing at all after half a second. In this case you don't have any program optimised for music (ambient and transient noise reduction, etc. turned off). I can *hear* down to 60Hz. It sounds very well at 70Hz (Rondo's technical limit anyway).

Hi @Dani sorry for the late reply,

with my artone i can hear down to 60hz just like you. When I hold my phone’s speakers closer to my Rondo’s mic I can hear down to 30hz. Quite internesting. The bass sound is not satisfyng though, it sounds a bit muffled. I’ll se if my audi can sort things out. 

• 2 months later...
On 8/8/2021 at 4:08 PM, Schwa said:

Hi Evren,

just curious, how did u go with the mapping for lower freqs?

cheers :)

Hi @Schwa,

I was told by my audi that I'm getting the deepest bass I can with my Rondo 2. Still, I'm not satisfied with lower freqs and scheduled an appointment for remapping later September. I will update by then :)