Anyone using AudioLink with bilateral CI processors?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I am experiencing problems with audio quality and my AudioLink.  The AudioLink has already been replaced and the audio quality problem persists.  The AudioLink has the newest firmware and the problem still remains.

The left and right streamed audio is not in sync.

Listening only with the left Sonnet sounds good.

Listening only with the right Sonnet sounds good.

Listening with both Sonnets does not sound good.  The audio is not in sync.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Is anyone using AudioLink with bilateral Sonnets and the audio sounds good?

I’m eager to read about your experiences with AudioLink and bilateral Sonnets.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mary Beth, I am finally in a position to respond to this! In short, I am not impressed.

I do not have the same issues with synchonisation - the left and the right sides are in sync. However, the sound quality is not good. Even with the cable, it crackles and cuts out. It seems to be more stable when listening with one side at a time, so I do wonder if this is an issue with sending the stream to two devices.

I have tested so far with:

• Bluetooth connection with phone call (iPhone) - pretty good quality
  • Cabled connection with iPhone to stream music - pretty much unusable due to static crackling sounds and bad quality
  • Cabled connection with MacBook to stream music - much better sound quality, but spoiled by an overlay of static crackling sounds
  • Cabled connection with MacBook using docking station to stream music - changed the sound drastically - very bassy and couldn't hear vocals at all in the test songs. Really odd!

The other problem I have is that it drains my batteries out crazily fast. I use disposables, quite a cheap brand but they usually last me a few days. Using the AudioLink makes them react oddly and they instantly start beeping. They're probably not powerful enough for this use.

The main reason I want to use AudioLink is for video calls, because the T setting with my usual Artone neckloop or earhook headphones does not work well in my new house - lots of electromagnetic interference. I will try this for AudioLink (once I have some more powerful batteries) and will report back.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

I also use disposable batteries.  Power One implant batteries handle the extra drain from the AudioLink fine.

Audio quality, incredibly short range and the extremely limited truly direct BT are my three biggest disappointments from the AudioLink.

To be competitive with respect to connectivity I would expect high quality audio with direct built in processor connection to mobile devices and a high quality BT streamer with excellent audio quality and range for computers/laptops/TV.

I just tried to watch some TED talks on YouTube to see how it coped with voice, as I haven't had any video calls today. From my MacBook to the docking station, the voice was inaudible (same issue I have with hearing song lyrics, I guess). I then cabled it from my MacBook, and the sound quality was so poor that I couldn't make anything out. I switched to playing a song in iTunes; that came through okay. Back to TED video: awful audio quality again. I wonder if I have a faulty unit? Definitely not confident using this in meetings tomorrow.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

Maybe your unit is defective.

I had my unit replaced and the replacement unit had the same issues, so my issues were not due to a defective unit.

But I have never read anything about vocals disappearing, so your unit might be defective.

On 5/12/2021 at 3:53 PM, Mary Beth said:

Listening with both Sonnets does not sound good.  The audio is not in sync.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Sorry for my late response. I missed this topic.

In my case AudioLink connected to a source using the cable sound good to both my Sonnet 2 processors and the sound ALWAYS is in sync. In contrast my AudioStreamers (connected to my iPhone) aren't in sync most of the time until I switch off and on the delaying processor.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dani

I agree that the AudioLink sounds much better when cabled to the sound source.  It just is inconvenient to move about.  Best if sitting in one place.

@Mary Beth

You are right. But keep in mind that I use my AudioLink for watching (a dedicated) TV or for video conferences on my PC if there is no corresponding app on my iPhone. I am using my AudioStreamers if possible.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dani

I really prefer the audio quality of the AudioStream too.