bonebridge for left sided deafness

dunklefunk

hi I have just become the 3rd person in Sheffield area UK to receive Bonebridge implant, left side, to benefit one sided deafness. Surgeon Prof.Ray did a fantastic job, neat scar just behind ear lobe. No pain, 9 stitches out after one week.Very lucky to have this done through NHS. Thanks to all the wonderful staff at Royal Hallamshire Hospital. Can't wait for processor!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Duncan :)

Have you been switched on yet? Do you have the Amade or the Samba?

I was the first in the UK to have bi lateral bonebridges! I adore them :)))

• HearPeers Heroes

Looking forward to hearing how things went

Adam

I am looking to go through this process and woud love to know how you get on etc. How was the surgery etc. Did you have the option of a BAHA? If so what were your reasons to go with the Bonebridge.

Good luck for processor fitting, how exciting.

Thanks Alex :)))

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Alex,

yes, this is the right spot for your question ;)

Guest duncan.waller

hi yes I feel very lucky to be the 1st samba patient at Sheffield. Pain free operation, slight discomfort from pressure bandage that's all. I trialled a BAHA headband last year which was good but opted for bb as I felt it would be more efficient and feed back less, which is the case. The remote control is very good for adjusting the samba. Been connected for a week, workwise (musician/teacher)immediate benefit on left side, even improved my singing voice! Slowly getting used to samba in social situations, 4 different settings: universal, music listening, noisy environment and noisy environment with speech tracking. Saw audiologist on Tues to have master volume increased. Follow up appointment in 5 weeks

Thanks Duncan that's fantastic news! Everything is very positive and I think this will be the direction for me too! Please keep me updated with ur progress x

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Duncan, excellent to hear news from you: how is your sound location?

• HearPeers Heroes

Duncan,

That is so awesome! Very glad to hear things are going well. Keep us updated

Adam

Guest duncan.waller

good question Ivana! The overall hearing experience is enhanced, I hear more high frequencies as well as more left field sound. But if I block my 'good' ear, the sound from the Samba on universal and (more so) on music program is white noise and say 'tinny' sounding voices.The 2 noise reduction programs seem to lessen the white noise, I prefer the one with voice tracking, its more useful. Ideally I would like voices louder and I've already had the master volume increased by the very supportive audiology team. Even thought about later having a customised program to suit me. It's still early days yet though, lots of experimenting etc. Regards Duncan 

• HearPeers Heroes

Duncan, it sounds like you Re on the right track! Great feedback for those thinking about going that route.

Good luck

cheers

Seeing the consultant this afternoon so finalise what to go with! Just need to make sure my blonde conduction is good enough for the Bonebridge and if it is I think this will be the way forward. Fingers crossed, everyone has been very encouraging x

• HearPeers Heroes

Please let us know the results. We will be rooting for everything to work out for the best. This is an exciting time for you.

• HearPeers Heroes

Seeing the consultant this afternoon so finalise what to go with! Just need to make sure my blonde conduction is good enough for the Bonebridge and if it is I think this will be the way forward. Fingers crossed, everyone has been very encouraging x

Alex,

Bonebridge is next step within "the operative stairs" if stapedectomy appears unsuccessful. Ok, yours is complicated by sensorineural deafness caused by infection.

My hearing loss is conductive, approximately 55-65dB bilaterally.

Second possible solution for you is cochlear implantation which would use totally different methodology - it would revive hearing on your affected side. On this way you could get sound localisation as you had before. On the other side, you should go through hearing rehabilitation which can be very rewarding but needs special efforts.

One way or another keep us posted! :)

Ivana my hearing loss is 45 db and is bilateraly ...do you use the glasses after the bonebridge? now i use the glasses and i i want know the difference with the bonebridge...

Good news is that I have the go ahead for the bonebridge on my deaf side and now just waiting for the private healthcare to authorise it or I will wait on the nhs! Very happy that something will finally be done! I also have mild otosclerosis in my good ear which I have known about and he states I could have one in there at a later date if I wanted too! Trying one first and v excited. The future is bright......the future is bionic

• HearPeers Heroes

Good news is that I have the go ahead for the bonebridge on my deaf side and now just waiting for the private healthcare to authorise it or I will wait on the nhs! Very happy that something will finally be done! I also have mild otosclerosis in my good ear which I have known about and he states I could have one in there at a later date if I wanted too! Trying one first and v excited. The future is bright......the future is bionic

:D :D Very positive way of thinking - glad you're satisfied. 

Well, otosclerosis is progressive disease and your hearing will deteriorate but it's unknown the amount of hearing loss. For your other side you can also think about Soundbridge which can be put on the oval window - on that way it's possible to get more amplification.

Yes, future is bionic - stay tuned! :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana my hearing loss is 45 db and is bilateraly ...do you use the glasses after the bonebridge? now i use the glasses and i i want know the difference with the bonebridge...

Hello Andrea,

Yes, I do wear glasses but this doesn't disturb wearing of my BB. I do not have properly developed outer ear on both sides so my speech processor/outer unit sits little bit behind and does not collide with glasses.

What is the origin of your hearing loss - is it conductive or sensorineural type of hearing loss? I do not quite understand your question regarding the difference of wearing BB except if you meant about possible collision - can you please confirm to me that we think same?

Stay tuned! :)

This may seem a silly question but how do u use a normal phone with the bonebridge? Do u hold it up to the processor??

X

• HearPeers Heroes

No Alex - it's not silly at all :). Yes - your outer unit will be your new ear so you bring closer to it phone. Just, don't press it because it starts squealing. :(

• HearPeers Heroes

Samba has wireless conectivity options so, if you want, you will be able to connect it over the streamer.

Possible problem here can be that people could think you are talking with yourself :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Excellent description Duncan - thank you very much fot it: I always wondered how's that experience of using BB on SSD ear.

In what extent you can localize sound now? Taking into consideration that both ears are 100%, one ear is almost impossible - 0%.

good question Ivana! The overall hearing experience is enhanced, I hear more high frequencies as well as more left field sound. But if I block my 'good' ear, the sound from the Samba on universal and (more so) on music program is white noise and say 'tinny' sounding voices.The 2 noise reduction programs seem to lessen the white noise, I prefer the one with voice tracking, its more useful. Ideally I would like voices louder and I've already had the master volume increased by the very supportive audiology team. Even thought about later having a customised program to suit me. It's still early days yet though, lots of experimenting etc. Regards Duncan