Comparison chart - Sonnet 2, Rondo 2, Rondo 3

Lynda

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

I selected Sonnet vs Sonnet 2.

I knew that Sonnet 2 was able to use ASM 3 adaptive intelligence features.  I sure wish that was available now in the US like it is in Europe.

I did not realize that Sonnet 2 could be configured to work with the regular FineTuner. (Then the remote app must not work.)

@Mary Beth  I think Med-El did a good job on the comparison chart (easy to compare features - like Rondo does not have EAS, and Sonnet does not have wireless charging).

Initially I was using the regular Fine Tuner for both my Sonnet and my Sonnet 2.  After my audiologist set them up on the Fine Tuner Echo, I got home and discovered they no longer work with the regular Fine Tuner (which I had thought would be my backup tuner).  I didn't set up AudioKey2 until some time later (for the AudioStream).

I find the Echo to be a huge improvement over the original Fine tuner because of the visuals (but my processors become unpaired often). 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

I am bonded with the skin it covers are my FineTuners.  Smile.  But if I get Sonnet 2 I will use the app as a remote or the FineTuner Echo.  I believe someone here mentioned that when we switch from using the app remote to the Echo remote it takes two presses at first.  Have you found that too?

@Mary Bethyes I believe it was @Justinthat told me that I would be able to use either or both the AudioKey2 and the Fine Tuner Echo, and I sometimes adjust settings with AudioKey2 but mostly I prefer the Fine Tuner Echo.  What I meant was that after the audi set me up with the Echo I noticed that the original Fine Tuner no longer worked.  That is fine (no pun intended😁) with me.  I can use either of the other two options (AudiKey2 or Fine Tuner Echo), and I don't like the regular Fine Tuner.  Mind you. I didn't try re-pairing with the regular because the other two options are superior.

Regarding the two presses...to use the app I have two choices for connecting - via the AudioStream or via the AudioLink.  If I choose to connect via the AudioStream I must be wearing the processor that has the AudioStream attached (as at the moment I only have one AudioStream).  If I choose to connect via the AudioLink I must first make sure the AudioLink is turned on.  I just did a quick test...I connected to the app via AudioLink, once in the app I changed a program and then changed it back, then I exited the app & turned the AudioLink off, then I went to the Fine Tuner Echo and changed the volume.  I did not have to do two presses (or any extra presses).

Could the extra press be the unlocking?  With the old Fine Tuner if it pressed against something in my purse it would change a program or volume level (and I would get a beep in my head).  One of the features I like on the Echo is that I can lock it so this doesn't happen.  When I go to use it of course I have to first depress the lock key for a few seconds to unlock it.

I only have one AudioStream which I am currently wearing on my original Sonnet and I connect to it by choosing AudioStream in the app.   I can also switch the AudioStream cover to Sonnet 2 (other ear) and connect to it in the exact same manner.  Right now it doesn't seem to care whether it is left or right, but I guess it may be more discerning once I have a second one identified in the app.

By the way, could you please tell me how to edit the heading of this post?  Thanks

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

To the best of my knowledge we can not alter titles of topics unfortunately.

AudioKey2 app works as a remote with Sonnet 2 directly without needing the AudioStream attached.  People were using the AudioKey2 app as a remote with Sonnet 2 before AudioStream was released.  Choose to connect via BT.  There is a BT receiver inside Sonnet 2 that responds to the app.  AudioStream is a different BTLE receiver for audio streaming.

Sonnet 1 can only connect to the app as a remote through the AudioLink.

We definitely can use both the AudioKey 2 app and the FineTuner Echo remote.

My understanding is if the Sonnet/Sonnet2 is set up to work with the app, it will no longer work with the old FineTuner remote.

Sorry if my comments caused any confusion.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

Lol!  We all help each other here.

By the way, how is your AudioStream working now?

Sometimes it seems staticky but I'm really not sure if it's the phone, or Spotify, or the AudioStream.  I'm still happy with it though.

@Lynda Thanks so much for the comparison  it answer a lot of my questions  I am due for update I now have 2 Sonnets and one Rondo 2 I am bilateral an leaning towards the Rondo 3

To be honest I forgot to to onto  MEDEL web site for the comparison. 

Thanks

Dave

You're very welcome @Dave in Pittsburgh.  In some ways I wish I had stumbled across the chart before I ordered my upgrade (which I'll be receiving next week).

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

Would you have changed your processor choice?

@Mary BethI'm not sure.  Now that I use the chart to compare the original Sonnet to the Sonnet 2, it seems the only difference is the ASM 3.

It is very hard for me to compare the original Sonnet on my first ear to the Sonnet 2 on my newly implanted ear.

I might see more of a difference when I upgrade the original Sonnet on my first ear to the Sonnet 2 (at least I am hoping I will, otherwise I will feel like maybe I should have waited).

Do other users that have gone from Sonnet to Sonnet 2 find a significant difference?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

@Megan L. is now using a Sonnet 2 on an established ear that had been using Sonnet 1.  Maybe Megan will describe how Sonnet 2 sounds compared to Sonnet 1.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

There’s not a huge difference from the Sonnet 1 to the Sonnet 2 but there is a distinct sound difference. To me the Sonnet 2 sounds much clearer and sharper than the Sonnet 1. I wore my Sonnet 1 and a loaner Sonnet 2 for 2 or 3 weeks until I got my Sonnet 2 activation kit. Even though my newly activated ear couldn’t understand too much, sounds were crisp and distinct if that makes sense...obviously my established ear recognized that everything was much clearer, crisper and sharper with the exact same Mapp, newer processor 👍 my new ear eventually followed and now it sounds very good to have 2 Sonnet 2s 😊

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

Sonnet 2 has the newer, faster computer chip.  Sonnet 1 does not.

@Megan L.and @Mary BethThank you Megan - it is reassuring to know that you did find an improvement.

When I upgraded from the Duet 2 to the Sonnet, I asked if I could keep both for a month.  It was my first upgrade and I guess I was afraid of giving up the known.  The Med-El rep told my audiologist at the hospital that it was up to the hospital but that the hospital would have to ensure that Med-El got one of them back at the end of 30 days.  My audi checked with her boss who agreed to it.  For the next month I did everything twice 😁.  I would listen to a song, then switch processors and listen to the same song again.  The difference was very slight, but by the time the month was up I felt confident keeping the Sonnet and returning the Duet 2.  

On some of the forums people have mentioned that there is so little difference between the Sonnet and the Sonnet 2 that they are waiting for the Sonnet 3 (I had already ordered when I saw these types of comments, and had not yet seen the comparison chart).

I get my upgrade on Monday.  I will then have 3 AudioLinks, 3 chargers & battery sets, 2 Fine Tuner Echos.  I'm not sure what to do with the new charger and batteries - add to the rotation? Leave in the packaging and not use until the others wear out?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

The big features of Sonnet 2 require ASM 3 and its adaptive intelligence.  In Europe Sonnet 3 released with those features already active so reading comparisons of Sonnet/Sonnet 2 from users in Europe may provide more information.

In the US, ASM 3 is not yet released.

It took from 2014-2017 for ASM 2 to get released in the US.  It had released with Sonnet 1 in Europe in 2014.   Sonnet 1 released in the US in 2015 but without ASM 2 features.  It took another two years before ASM 2 was released in the US (2017).

Sonnet 2 with ASM 3 released in Europe in fall 2019.  Sonnet 2 released in the US in early 2020 but without ASM 3 features.  And we are still waiting.

I guess this was a very long way of saying that I expect Sonnet 2 to be superior to Sonnet 1 but most of that superiority will require ASM 3 to be released here.  Until then, there may be a slight audio quality improvement due to its advanced new chip.

I don’t know how often Med-El designs processors with new chips.  It seems that there are several processors using the same generation of chip.  Now Med-El has 2 processors using the new, faster, more advanced chip.  Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3.

People are speculating about the next BTE processor they think may be called Sonnet 3.  I have not read any official information about it.  People are guessing the BTLE receiver for direct streaming will be built in.  If it is built in, will it sound any different from the AudioStream?  People are wondering if the telecoil will still be built in or will it require a telecoil adapter like Rondo 3? (I really prefer the telecoil to be built in.)

I guess it’s a bit like upgrading cell phones only WAY more expensive.  There is always going to be a newer version in the works.  I’m okay with my iPhone 8.  Smile.  And I will be okay with Sonnet 2 using ASM 3 with the AudioStream.  I just REALLY wish ASM 3 was available now in the US.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

I look forward to reading your comparison of Sonnet 2/Sonnet 1 in your established ear.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

It will be important to put the new rechargeable batteries into your rotation schedule.  Rechargeable batteries should not just sit idle for a very long time.  No need to use the extra charger- that can stay in the closet.  But you may want to ensure it works while it is under warranty.

The third AudioLink has a rechargeable battery as well.  I believe the manual mentions something about that if not using it.

@Mary BethThanks that is good to know (another reason I wondered if I should have held off on the upgrade, until my current batteries had another year to wear out - oh well too late now).

Going to need a bigger closest LOL

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lynda

Adding more batteries to your rotation may make all of your batteries last longer.  

I am not sure what the best schedule is for periodic charging of recharge batteries in devices that are not being used….like Roger Pen/Select/MyLink, BT mics, BT headphones, AudioLink, etc.  Maybe someone else on HPs knows the recommended charging of these idle devices.

@Mary BethMy audi assured me that ASM 3 is active in both my Sonnet 2s (so I guess it must be approved in Canada).

My audi set up the my second Fine Tuner Echo and paired it with my processors, then took the battery out.  So if I ever need it, it is all ready to go just insert battery.

I am aware of how to disconnect the battery on the extra AudioLinks (from the many times I had to remove it in the original version), so I'm good there.

Per your advice, I'll add the new batteries to the rotation.

I think that's everything I have that uses batteries.  Thanks

• Like 2