Apple iPhone update to 14.6 BT fix included

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

This release also fixes the following issues:
- Unlock with Apple Watch may not work after using Lock ‌iPhone‌ on Apple Watch
- Reminders may appear as blank lines
- Call blocking extensions may not appear in Settings
- Bluetooth devices could sometimes disconnect or send audio to a different device during an active call
- ‌iPhone‌ may experience reduced performance during startup

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

If you are updating your iPhone to 14.6 it may be interesting to see what happens if after updating you forget the AudioStream in hearing devices and pair it again.

@Mary BethI updated to 14.6 and followed the above the steps and I'm back on. I just emailed Medel to let them know as I'm set to receive the new equipment but this clearly ( I think) illustrates it's not hardware, hopefully it stays paired this time, thanks!

I updated to 14.6. Forgot/Resynched. No change in the issues I previously identified. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy K.

Have you had your AudioStream replaced under warranty?

No. Has that actually fixed anyone’s problems? I don’t have that impression but you have a broader perspective on the ongoing discussion. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy K.

It has for some reason fixed the problem for several people.

Med-El US in house audiology may have other suggestions for you to try.

• Like 1

good morning @Mary Beth yes, still connected and I did receive the new processor and once again I should have written this down but I was distracted by work but at one point it wasn't working and a message popped up on the Accessibility that I had never seen before (again I wish I had written it down) but I think the good thing that I took from it is that it was sort of figuring out the problem and fixed it if that makes sense. I also noticed that when I switched the processor and RCB adapter that my coil was a little frayed at the top and I had to replace that. Thankfully there was an extra one in my box. I have no idea but maybe that's the reason I was having so much trouble? Probably not but it is yet another possible variable. I'm going to keep the old processor and first AudioStream over the weekend just to make sure but will most likely return that to MedEl on Monday. I'll keep you updated!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

The coil cable is under warranty.  Just contact your CSR and a replacement will be sent and you then return the defective cable in the envelope enclosed.

Your connectivity experience is interesting.

• Like 1

@Mary Bethone positive thing I've noticed since I restarted the AudioStream with 14.6 is that when I pair it under Accessibility it now knows that it's streaming to my right ear again without having to do AudioKey. Only been two days but so far it seems better but I'm still not going to try and pair it to the iPad as well. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

Are you using the replacement Sonnet 2 and replacement AudioStream or your previous set up?

It seems after configuration of AudioStream once in AudioKey 2 we may be able to forget device and repair all under accessibility hearing devices.  Possibly.

Yes on both and when I set it up I did bypass AudioKey completely 

Yes, unfortunate but no surprise. 

I talked to MEDEL re my unreliable connection issues and was told to clean all the contacts with alcohol. Out  of town so will try when back home tomorrow but have little confidence it will change anything. I guess I will ultimately end up replacing my two  Audiostreams but I really think it’s a inherent design flaw. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy K.

Frustrating.

Please keep us posted.

@Lynda  Are your AudioStreams staying connected now?

@Roy K.I'm on my 2nd AudioStream and even a replacement Sonnet2 processor and still no luck. I just put the old battery cover back on so for now I don't keep trying something that doesn't seem to help. I agree that there seems to be an inherent design flaw whether it's hardware or software based or who knows: both? In the meantime I am also unable to stream to my AudioLink. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney @Roy K.

I created the AudioStream poll to see if we can see a pattern.  Is AudioStream working more reliably for android vs iPhone?  But we need more people to participate in the poll to get any useful information.

• Like 1

Hi, that is a great idea, I participated in it and I agree it should be helpful to get a pulse on this and while we are at it in general I actually wish people were even more engaged and responsive to the forums thanks as always @Mary Beth! Now a third problem, the rechargeable batteries are not lasting I put mine in after a full charge and just made it to two hours!! aargh . . .  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

I wish more people were active on the HP Forum too.  It’s always fun to meet new HP members when they post for the first time.  Many times they mention that they have been reading and following the forum for months/years before deciding to post for the first time.

• Like 1

Thought this article from WSJ today was interesting in light of this discussion ... (file too big so had to copy and paste so have to bear with the lousy formatting)

PERSONAL TECHNOLOGY: NICOLE NGUYEN

Your AirPods Aren’t

‘Magically

Connecting’? Here Are

Some Things to Try.

Recent Apple software updates for iPhones and Macs acknowledge connection and device-switching issues with AirPods and AirPods Pro—but they don’t fix everything

By

Nicole Nguyen

May 30, 2021 9:00 am ET

Listen to this article (8 minutes)

Apple’s website touts the AirPods’ ability to “connect magically” to iPhones and “move seamlessly” between iPhones, Apple Watches, iPads and Macs. For many, the popular Bluetooth earbuds work as billed. But for others—including me— AirPods have become AirProblems.

Last September, I wrote a one-year review of the AirPods Pro, praising their top- notch noise-cancellation, new spatial audio feature and even their ease of pairing. After that column, colleagues and readers flooded my inbox with emails detailing various connection and switching mishaps.

This year, I started experiencing a frustration of my own. When there’s an incoming call and I put the Pros in my ears, “Nic Pods connected” appears on

Introducing: To The Moon

LISTEN

1 of 7

6/1/21, 11:20 AM

screen, but when I answer the call, I can’t hear anyone on the other end, because

The new mini-series from The Journal. podcast explores the impact of the GameStop frenzy.

Your AirPods Aren’t ‘Magically Connecting’? Here Are Some Thing... https://www.wsj.com/articles/your-airpods-arent-magically-connecti...

the audio source is set to the phone’s speaker.

Melissa Jean Clark is a Toronto-based web designer who uses AirPods Pro to listen to Spotify on her MacBook Pro while she works. When Ms. Clark reviews projects on her iPhone, the earbuds switch to that device instead. “I lose my focus. Every time I pick up my phone, they’ll connect to it, and it goes back and forth over and over,” she said.

David Tyler, of Norwich, Vt., was midsentence on a Zoom call when his AirPods Pro connected to his iPad unexpectedly. He now closes his iPad’s case and puts his phone face down to avoid the automatic switching.

Apple's $249 AirPods Pro produce superb

noise canceling in a compact design. But

lately, our columnist's earbuds haven't

connected automatically during calls.

PHOTO: NICOLE NGUYEN/THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

Some I spoke to have put AirPods in their case for good and opted instead for traditional wired headphones, after deciding that the fuss of wireless isn’t worth the freedom.

Apple’s latest software, including updates released last week, acknowledges that there are issues in need of fixing. The updates—iOS 14.6 for iPhones and Big Sur 11.4 for Macs— provide solutions for AirPods disconnecting, sending audio to a different device during a call, sending audio to the wrong device, and showing too many prompts to connect. An Apple spokesman said users should install the updates for all devices for the best

experience and interoperability, and the software should provide a remedy to the bugs outlined above.

Apple is investigating additional problems I sent over on behalf of readers, which

include a set of AirPods Pro with only one bud that connects, another that takes

about a minIunterotodupcainr gw:itThotTheheiPMhoonoen, and AirPods that appear in the audio

The new mini-series from The Journal. podcast explores the

LISTEN

source menu but aren’t automatically selected.

impact of the GameStop frenzy.

2 of 7 6/1/21, 11:20 AM

Your AirPods Aren’t ‘Magically Connecting’? Here Are Some Thing... https://www.wsj.com/articles/your-airpods-arent-magically-connecti...

Still, the current fixes don’t address the bigger issue: Automatic device switching, which came to Apple devices last fall, is working as intended—and it’s annoying.

AirPods can automatically switch to nearby devices connected to the same iCloud account—a feature that might create havoc for an unsuspecting user.

Here’s how it’s supposed to play out: You’re listening to a podcast on your AirPods via iPhone. When the episode ends, you pick up an iPad connected to the same iCloud account and start watching a movie. The audio switch happens without you touching Bluetooth settings. With Macs, it’s a bit different: Macs can handle multiple audio streams—a FaceTime call and a YouTube video, for instance—so you’ll see an “AirPods nearby” notification on your Mac screen. Click the pop-up to shift the AirPods connection to the Mac.

On Macs, when audio is playing and AirPods are within Bluetooth range, a pop-up will appear; click to pair.

The problem? It can be a huge pain when you don’t want to switch devices. Ms. Clark would leave the feature enabled, if only Apple could read her mind. “I don’t know how Apple could understand when I want to switch devices. I’d rather just control it,” she said.

A better solution would be a quick way to disable switching temporarily,

something like the iPhone’s screen-rotation lock. Currently, you can only choose

LISTEN

between automatic switching and the confusing, word-jumbled “Connect to

3 of 7 6/1/21, 11:20 AM

iPhone/iPad/Mac... When Last Connected to This iPhone/iPad/Mac” option. (Don’t worry, I’ll explain that in a second.)

I’ve reviewed a lot of wireless earbuds, and Bluetooth connectivity is a challenge for all of them. So it isn’t a complete surprise that AirPods don’t work perfectly all the time. But when you pay a premium and become accustomed to a certain level of “magical” Apple seamlessness, there’s more room for disappointment.

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS

What headphones do you use? Join the conversation below.

I still prefer AirPods over competitors from Jabra, Amazon, Bose and others. Most of the time, the pairing is as simple as putting the buds in my ears. As for the other occasions—the maybe one in five times they don’t connect—I’m waiting for my update.

Meanwhile, here are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot your ’Pods:

Update your Apple devices

Make sure your device is backed up before you update. On your iPhone or iPad, open the Settings app, go to General and tap Software Update. On your Mac, open System Preferences and select Software Update. The latest for iOS and iPadOS is 14.6; the latest for MacOS is 11.4.

Your iPhone, iPad and Mac will, of course, need to be compatible with the latest operating system versions to update. (And if the device belongs to your company, your IT department will have to be OK with you updating software.)

Your AirPods have their own firmware as well. They update automatically when AirPods are in the charging case, plugged into a power source and near a paired iOS device. You can verify your earbuds are running the most recent firmware by going to iPhone’s Settings, then Bluetooth, then tapping the “i” next to your AirPods. The most current version for AirPods Pro and second-gen AirPods is 3E751.

The new mini-series from The Journal. podcast explores the impact of the GameStop frenzy.

LISTEN

4 of 7 6/1/21, 11:20 AM

Turn off automatic device switching

If you’d rather your AirPods not decide by themselves when to switch, turn off automatic device switching on all your Apple devices.

If you'd rather control what your AirPods are connected to, disable automatic device switching by going into Bluetooth settings and selecting "Connect to This iPhone/iPad /Mac... When Last Connected to This iPhone/iPad/Mac."

On the iPhone and iPad, with your AirPods connected, open Settings, go to Bluetooth, then tap the “i” next to your AirPods. Select the setting Connect to This iPhone/iPad and tap When Last Connected to This iPhone/iPad. Repeat on the Mac: Open System Preferences, go to Bluetooth, and click Options next to your AirPods. Under Connect to This Mac, select When Last Connected to This Mac.

This means your AirPods will only automatically connect if they were previously paired with that device. If you switch from iPhone to iPad, then the next time you open your AirPods, they’ll connect to your iPad (if it’s nearby).

Reset your AirPods

If AirPods wonkiness persists, reset your AirPods. (Just note that this will reset

your connection and touch-control settings, too.) Put the earbuds back in the case

and close the lid, then open the lid. On your iPhone or iPad, open Settings, go to

Bluetooth, and tap “i” next to your AirPods. Select Forget This Device. Do the

same on your Mac: Open System Preferences, then Bluetooth. Hover the mouse

LISTEN

over your AirPods and select the “X” next to it.

5 of 7 6/1/21, 11:20 AM

Next, press and hold the small button on the back of the case, until you see the front-facing status light flashing orange. This can take up to 15 seconds. Place the AirPods close to your iOS device, and a connection pop-up will appear. Follow the steps on the screen.

Make sure two-factor authentication is enabled

If you want your AirPods to switch automatically, make sure you’re signed into iCloud on all devices, and have two-factor authentication turned on. Open Settings, select your name, then tap Password & Security. You’ll see an option to enable it, if it isn’t already on.

Restart your device

If all else fails, even after re-pairing, power your device off, then on again. I don’t know why this works, but it does!

—For more WSJ Technology analysis, reviews, advice and headlines, sign up for our weekly newsletter.

Write to Nicole Nguyen at nicole.nguyen@wsj.com
Appeared in the June 1, 2021, print edition as 'Tips to Help Keep Your AirPods Connected.'

• HearPeers Heroes

@Roy K.

Thank you for sharing that.  User reports to seem to suggest that iPhone AudioStream users are having way more issues with connectivity compared to android AudioStream users.  As an iPhone user, that makes me sad.

Thankfully my Artone BT neckloop is still a great connectivity device for me.

I look forward to Apple and Med-El sorting out the connectivity issues with iPhones and AudioStream.  I really loved it when I tried it out.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 2:41 PM, Roy K. said:

Yes, unfortunate but no surprise. 

I talked to MEDEL re my unreliable connection issues and was told to clean all the contacts with alcohol. Out  of town so will try when back home tomorrow but have little confidence it will change anything. I guess I will ultimately end up replacing my two  Audiostreams but I really think it’s a inherent design flaw. 

Med-El replaced my bilateral Audiostreams and rechargeable battery adapters. Unfortunately, no improvement in the issues I have been experiencing (iPhone 11 Pro/iOS 14.6). 
- When I try to stream/phone foe first time each day, there’s ~ a 15 second delay before it starts streaming and invariably it’s to one side only. I have to turn off/on the other side, often more than once, to get streaming to the other side. 
- With my original equipment, I could bypass Audiokey2 and pair both my Audiostreams through iPhone’s Accessibilty and it would recognize left and right.  With replacements, labels both Audiostreams as left. Was able to pair using AudioKey 2 again. 

This is  frustrating and I continue believe that there’s an inherent flaw in Audiostream’s hardware/software.