Hi Everyone

Lauren

I am getting my left ear implanted June 17th and Activation Day is June 25th. I've been soaking up as much information as possible to prepare, and have even participated in a few zoom meet-ups. Looking forward to beginning my implant journey!

Little background: I've been bilateral with hearing aids for 25 years and went to the audiologist back in March for a hearing test/CI evaluation because things were no longer sounding quite right. The hearing test went badly enough to automatically qualify me for both ears. At the audiologist's recommendation, next week's implant is for the worse ear, the left ear. Depending on how my adjustment/rehab goes, the right ear is likely to follow at some point yet to be determined. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Lauren!  It’s great to see you here.  Welcome to HearPeers!

Which processor did you choose?  Sonnet 2 or Rondo 3?

Hi @Mary Beth - thank you so much for the information you shared at the Meet Up yesterday. I feel much better about Activation Day now.

I am able to get both, Sonnet 2 and Rondo 3 - the BTE was a huge sticking point for me when choosing which company to move forward with. I made my packet selection a while ago so it'll be those two, the AudioLink and AudioStream (I think I got it right), and a combination of some rechargeable and replaceable batteries. Likely some additional things will be included with my packet, so I'm looking forward to opening that. Getting strong "Christmas in June" vibes. 

• HearPeers Heroes

You are welcome @Lauren.  It was nice to meet you.

Terrific!  I was hoping you would be at a CI center that offered two processors with a CI surgery.

I love having both a BTE processor and an off the ear processor.  Which one are you most excited about?  

That was the first surprise. I was hemming and hawing over which one to pick then was told I didn't have to, I'd be getting both. Even better, the surgery is in a surgery center and not a hospital - and a center I've been to before. 

I'm looking forward to both processors actually. I'm most looking forward to the Rondo 3 - after 25 years of BTE hearing aids my ears deserve a break. However I suspect that, mainly due to battery life, I'll use the Synchrony 2 the most. It'll be interesting to see how my preference actually works out though. Both are extremely versatile from what I've been reading about so I'm eager to actually use all this wonderful tech that I've been studying since March/April.

• HearPeers Heroes

It is an exciting journey @Laurensnd it does feel like Christmas when you get the kits!

We are a friendly group.  Feel free to ask questions and share your CI journey with us.

• Like 2

Hi @Lauren, welcome! You are embarking on an incredible journey! Wishing you all the best with your first implant, and hoping success with it leads to your second before long. 

If you are interested, there’s an informal GoogleMeet “coffee chat” with Med-El users (long time users, new users and soon to be users, from a variety of countries besides the US) one Sunday a month at 9:15a.m. New York time. This month’s chat is this coming Sunday, the 13th.  We’d love to have you join in! It’s a very easy-going, congenial group. Just an open discussion with no agenda…just whatever is on someone’s mind. If you are interested in joining in, just tag @Mary Beth on this thread and she’ll get you set up. The email invites for the chat come from her. Hope you’ll consider it!

Keep us posted on your progress!

• Like 2

@Joan Hi Joan - thank you for the warm welcome and the invite. I'd love to attend more events but I am in Alaska so having to juggle events that work with the time difference. I'm one hour off from the west coast and four from the east coast.

Tho at 5:15am you can bet I'd have coffee, and lots of it.

• Like 2

@Lauren I totally get it. I’m in northern California and 6:15am is early enough! You can be certain I have more than one cup of coffee while we’re chatting. Since it’s only once a month and I truly enjoy the group, I’m willing to do it. Of course, I’m also retired and live alone so it’s not like I can’t take a nap later if I need to!😅 

Where in Alaska are you? Is your CI clinic nearby?  

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Way early for you @Lauren!  Totally understandable to pass on a 5:15 am Sunday morning meeting!

@Joan @Justin and @Dennisjbr join from the west coast- very early!

@John R @Kylie join from Australia- very late!

and everyone else is somewhere in between!

• Like 2

@Joan It might be possible for me to attend a future one, just not right now. I work full time M-F with flexibility for appointments and weekends off. Already set for the time off I think I need and can take additional time if/as needed. I am taking surgery day off and next day (obvious) and also Activation Day off so I can take my time getting familiar with everything.

I am in Anchorage, as is my CI Clinic, ENT office, and surgery center. They are all about 15-20 minutes away from me. I have a ride to surgery because its required but will be going it alone for everything else. A friend from back in highschool will help with some rehab via video mostly and maybe in person if we can manage that (friend lives an hour drive north of me). I'll figure something out that works for me.

@Mary Beth I like how there's someone from everywhere here; there isn't too much local for me to work with. I've only seen two CI users up here (that I recall) and they were both toddlers so not too much help for me there. Also thank you for reminding me of HearPeers - I'd registered back in March but didn't do anything further than that and kinda forgot about it. Now that everything is really real I'll definitely utilize this site more.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

HearPeers is my favorite CI group and I also love that we are an international group.  You will find a great support system here.

• Like 2

@Lauren yes, HP is a great group. Lots of good information and awesome peer support. 

Glad you are so close to your clinic and entire CI team. And having a friend to help you with your listening rehab will be a big help. There are many ways to do your rehab…you’ll have lots to explore. You are fortunate, too, that you’re allowed some flexibility in your work schedule. 

Hoping we get a chance to meet you some early, early morning! In the meantime, stay connected through HP, ask any questions, and do keep us updated on your progress.

All the best to you next week!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

Totally understandable to pass on a 5:15 am Sunday morning meeting!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• HearPeers Heroes

This is an exciting week for you @Lauren!  Wishing you the best!

• Like 2

@Mary Beth Thank you! Looking forward to it. Just a COVID test and a 2.5 days (not that I'm counting) between me and surgery now. Everything with the audiologist is set and confirmed too. 

P.S. Yeah, I'm totally counting.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Wishing you the best tomorrow @Lauren!  When you are feeling up to it, let us know how things are going.

• Like 2

@Mary Beth surgery couldn’t have gone any better. I’m always slow to start recovery so I was there for an hour longer than expected but have been home sleeping it all off for 5-6 hours or so. 
Wasn’t expecting the surgeon to give me a stuffed elephant, but it was a nice surprise. I love that MED-EL does that for people!

• Like 3