Using Rondo 2 or Rondo 3 as a back up processor

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

How should we deal with using Rondo 2 or Rondo 3 as a back up processor which sits idle for long stretches of time due to their internal rechargeable batteries?

Hello @Mary Beth, thank you for your question.

According to our experts, you should store them fully charged. If not, the battery might become useless when it goes below a certain voltage.

Kind Regards, Giulia

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

Thank you Giulia.

How long can they sit idle after being fully charged before they should be charged again?

• 5 weeks later...

Lithium batteries typically will stay charged for periods of time longer than three months and are not subject to deep cycling like NiMH or NiCad batteries are. Keeping them topped off isn't necessary, its more a matter of convenience for the user. The batteries should last about 1000 charges. Remember that this is typical Lion batteries, not specifically MedEl batteries. But, I would expect MedEl batteries to follow these traits. 

50 minutes ago, Salik said:

any idea how much mAh are these lithium-ion battery?

I do not. I have not seen the technical specifications on either unit. Another consideration on battery life is that the Rondo apparently never truly powers down. When you push the button to turn it on, I believe the microprocessor is in sleep mode and that button wakes it up and puts it to sleep. If I am correct and that is the case, it is always pulling a little current even switched off. That would partially negate the long shelf life feature of the Lion battery.
But in a recent podcast, I heard that they are shipping the Rondo 3 units to the clinics with a 50% charge so that the Audi’s can break the seal on the box in front of the patient and have a working unit to program. Lion batteries are the only rechargeable batteries that currently have that ability.