WOW Moments

Sandy

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, it's been 2 years since my implant and I thought I would share some WOW moments of my journey with newbies, those contemplating a CI and my fantastic Hearpeers support group. Don't get me wrong, there are frustrating, irritating moments too but the journey is well worth taking. It's taken two years but now I can hear TV and it's a way to improve your listening skills, even with the annoying background music. I can carry on a conversation with someone while driving and not have to turn to read lips or say "Pardon me, what did you say?" I no longer look for excuses to avoid family and friends get- togethers. I no longer need to let people know I can't hear, because I can. And the biggest of all is when someone says "Wow, you can hear so well"

My suggestions: take little steps, put yourself out there, challenge yourself each day. And follow the 3Ps - practice, patience and perseverance! It works, I'm living proof! Celebrate your victories and when you need a break from hearing too much and are overwhelmed, turn it off and relax. We have the best of both worlds! Thank you everyone for your insight, encouragement and being an inspiration!

• HearPeers Heroes

So happy for you Sandy. It is an amazing journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

BAM!! Awesome and very well put. This will be a huge encouragement to many

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Mary Beth and Adam.

Hi Sandy. As a new implant recipient this is very encouraging news indeed. Thanks for the post.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm glad the post was encouraging. Keep us informed about your progress. One day at a time and there's a moment each day that is encouraging.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello Sandy - so glad to read your thoughts. This is extraordinary! :D

Can you just write down to Newbies - hiw long have you been deaf without CI and hearing understanding?

• 6 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Well, another WOW moment yesterday. My youngest nephew was married on the beach here in Ocho Rios, Jamaica and I heard almost the whole ceremony!

Ivana, I just noticed your question above. I have been deaf since I was a child but it was progressively worse starting in my 20s. As a child of 7, my aunt who was deaf said she lip read so I thought if she could do it so could I! No one really picked up that I was deaf until I was in my 30s. It was just the way I was and I found coping mechanisms that worked for me.

• HearPeers Heroes

That's awesome Sandy!! Keep up the good work!!

• HearPeers Heroes

A wedding in Jamaica in the beach....very nice. It's great that you understood so much! Thanks for sharing.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, another WOW moment yesterday. My youngest nephew was married on the beach here in Ocho Rios, Jamaica and I heard almost the whole ceremony!

Ivana, I just noticed your question above. I have been deaf since I was a child but it was progressively worse starting in my 20s. As a child of 7, my aunt who was deaf said she lip read so I thought if she could do it so could I! No one really picked up that I was deaf until I was in my 30s. It was just the way I was and I found coping mechanisms that worked for me.

Tnx! :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Well here's my wow moments for today. I was with a hearing impaired person. We asked him if he could hear the change jingle in his pocket. He couldn't. I wasn't sure if I would but I did!! Then this morning I heard the toaster ding before the rest of my hearing family from the other room!! Yesterday I was working at my husbands job and we were in a hurry. He said something to me I heard it without looking at him. So I nodded. He stopped me and said you need to look at me when I'm explaining things. So I said actually I heard what you said!! Then tonight I Wayne's to learn some lyrics to a song I have always liked the melody. So I googled the song and I screen shot the words and then I played the song and lo and behold I was able to learn a new song!! Of course it made me cry!! I haven't been able to do that probably ever without someone helping me!!! So all those who need hope it's out there for the taking!! Grab on and seize the day!!!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara, that is so awesome!! Kind of funny, first we have to get people to learn to look at us when speaking, then after implantation, remind them they don't lol. Great feeling. Happy for you

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks it is so amazing. I can't begin to say how much this implant will do for me. It is actually quite overwhelming at times like today.

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara, so glad for you! I wish you have so many wow moments that you even don't bother to get emotional over that :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, THEY always have to learn something! :D

Amazing Cara - those tiny precious moments. ;)

• HearPeers Heroes

That's fantastic, Kara. Can't beat those WOW moments, especially when they WOW the person you are with!