Professional flutist with single sided deafness considering CI to replace Bone Anchored Hearing Aid

Lisa Y

Hello…I went spontaneously deaf in my right ear 24 years ago.  I have perfect hearing in my other ear.  .I am seeking feedback regarding possibly obtaining a CI for single sided deafness.

I am a professional flutist & have been using a bone anchored hearing aid for last 6 years.  My BAHA has given me the confidence to play in orchestras again but I still only hear on one side & have never grown accustomed to the devastating loss of stereo sound I miss so much….I also still have no directional hearing.  

Seeking feedback from others with a CI for single sided deafness, especially as it relates to how music is perceived.  Do the pitches match between your perfect ear and your CI side? Does the CI side negatively interfere with the sound perceived your normal side?  

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.  Thank you so much.

Lisa

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @Lisa YI lost all hearing in my right ear about 4 years ago and was implanted one year ago. Bass and drums are the most easily recognized instruments and everything else can be a hot mess but no matter what I still hear so much better. I know this is vague but my life is so much easier bec. of my implant. I would def. suggest exploring the potentials but for me again hearing music in my deaf ear through the CI will never be the same but at this same time I find it to be a minor miracle. 

@Jared Charney

Hi Jared,

Thank you so much for your insight.  I really appreciate your feedback & am so glad the CI has proved to be so helpful for you.  I had a couple of additional questions for you.  

When both of your ears are working together, are you aware of the odd noises being generated by your CI when listening to music.  Or, does your brain filter out the electronic noises & allow you to still hear the music perfectly?  Do you get the sensation now that you are hearing in stereo sound? 

Thank you so much for your insight.

Lisa

Edited by Lisa Y
To tag Jared Charney on this message

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lisa Y

to tag @Jared Charney so he is alerted to your post just type @ and then immediately type his user name.  A window will pop up.  Select his name in the window.  You will know if the tag worked as it will display as blue if it worked.

@Lisa YYes, sorry that was a little confusing on my part: it's a hot mess if I'm streaming music directly to my implant. If I'm listening say w/my Bose headphones it sounds more like stereo and same even if I'm not using headphones but my good ear still does all the heaving lifting etc. No matter the case it's a zillion times better than before surgery. LMK if this is helpful! and @Mary Bethhi!