Implanted yesterday!

bluesidae

Just a quick note to say I was implanted (bonedbridge) yesterday. 24 hours later I feel fantastic. Scheduled for the Samba on December 30th... it will be an awesome Happy New Year for me :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Definitely Ross - welcome to the Hearpeers. ;)

Can you tell us a little bit about the type of your hearing loss...?

Hi,Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have congenital microtia/atresia. I am 52. I initially tried the cross system. It permitted me to hear 'from' my right side, but I found it very confusing with the sound entering my left ear. Seven years ago I looked into the Cochlear BAHA and the Ponto systems. I guess I wasn't ready. Two years ago my audiologist told me about the Medel Bonebridge. I passed up two opportunities for surgery before I finally decided to have the surgery. So far the surgery and 24 hour recovery have surpassed my expectations and I am looking forward to getting the processor in four weeks. I will post updates.

thanks again,

Ross

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

It's important that you are ready before taking these hearing journeys. It sounds like it's perfect timing for you Ross.

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow congrats Ross. I too waited as long as I could but jumped on it at the last minute. I was implanted in November 5 and will be activated on December 1. Take it easy Ross! Enjoy the down time. (If you have any!)

• HearPeers Heroes

WI know it's seems like yesterday was the surgery. Also feels like it was moths ago!! Time flies!!

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi,Thanks for the warm welcome.

I have congenital microtia/atresia. I am 52. I initially tried the cross system. It permitted me to hear 'from' my right side, but I found it very confusing with the sound entering my left ear. Seven years ago I looked into the Cochlear BAHA and the Ponto systems. I guess I wasn't ready. Two years ago my audiologist told me about the Medel Bonebridge. I passed up two opportunities for surgery before I finally decided to have the surgery. So far the surgery and 24 hour recovery have surpassed my expectations and I am looking forward to getting the processor in four weeks. I will post updates.

thanks again,

Ross

Hi Ross,

Excellent decision after careful waiting to be ready for this type of implant. I also have congenital microtia and atresia - bilaterally. My way was similar - although I knew that regular analog hearing aid will vanish and the digital type of technology just entered to the market, I just couldn't adapt. Digital hearing aids made me to feel kind of hearing nausea, in other word: after 7-8 hours of wearing it I couldn't stand all those sounds around me and I needed a break, I needed to switch off it.

Also, once I was in the process of considering BAHA back in 2003, but although I knew for its respected history I was not comfortable with an abutment sticking out. I know - it is just a psychological reason, but I could not step over it. And, so almost 10 years passed by when Bonebridge came to the horizon. As soon as it came - I knew, this is the right implant for me. I didn't have the slightest doubts, although basically its operation is little bit more serious than the BAHA's was.

I haven't regret nor the one slightest moment - actually on my 4th day after the surgery (and one day I have to spent in the ICU) I have ridden my bike for 30km. It didn't tired me at all, actually I've felt even better after that - just like toxic juices needed to drain out of me. The bigger problem actually was how to admit to my surgeon and mentour that. I have chosen to message him - the return was totally opposite of what I've expected: he actually supported it, but - what he actually could do...:P:D

Regarding the activation, take it easy: you will need some time to adapt and then recalibrate possibly. Just be patient. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome Ross

I actually used a bi cros system as well for a few years. Wasn't a real fan of the system myself

Glad to hear everything is going well for you right now.

Keep us posted

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

I also used a bicross system years ago and gave that up for a better sounding aid in my left ear. I found the tech for bicross systems to be a bit behind the times.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have to agree with you Mary Beth,

When I got mine my Audi said I was the only patient of hers that had one. I guess it served its purpose until the hearing in my "good" ear got worse and I had to switch to another hearing aid.

• HearPeers Heroes

There are a lot of similarities in our hearing histories Adam. It's been reassuring to me to read your experiences along my journey. Thank you.

• HearPeers Heroes

I also used a bicross system years ago and gave that up for a better sounding aid in my left ear. I found the tech for bicross systems to be a bit behind the times.

Well - the hearing aid producers do not have much to offer...  :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

They are much better than they used to be but for the most part, they raise the volume of everything which isn't always a good thing.

• HearPeers Heroes

They are much better than they used to be but for the most part, they raise the volume of everything which isn't always a good thing.

We are talking about (bi)cross or - all other aspects?  :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

I think that hearing aids do damage over a long period of time. I believe that's how I am now on this new journey.

• HearPeers Heroes

I think that hearing aids do damage over a long period of time. That's why I'm on this journey. In my own opinion.

• HearPeers Heroes

I think that hearing aids do damage over a long period of time. That's why I'm on this journey. In my own opinion.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hmmm

I'm not sure about that. The testing is very specific to make sure thresholds are not higher than they should be. It is also designed to where you can't "fake it" so to speak. Strangely enough, there are people out there that try to make their results seem worse than they are. The way testing is set up, it is impossible to fake your way through a hearing test

Good luck with the switch on! I am interested in your journey as I am about to embark on the same one.