Headaches?

Kara of Canada

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana she did not start having headaches until at least a month give or take after activation. This is why I suggested that Kara contact her audiologist about a possible new mapping. She has been in touch with an Audi as far as I am sure so hopefully they will get down to the bottom of it soon

• HearPeers Heroes

No Audi yet. Mine are on vacation. Med el has been contacted but only responded that theynwouldcontact someone else to help. No help yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana she did not start having headaches until at least a month give or take after activation. This is why I suggested that Kara contact her audiologist about a possible new mapping. She has been in touch with an Audi as far as I am sure so hopefully they will get down to the bottom of it soon

I understand that Adam but Kara says that her headache starts just by approaching a CI close to her head. Just by that she can not hear anything so I don`t understand how unadequate map can affect her; although I support your hypothesis. I laced certain questions so I could better clinically understand problem. ;)

Also, her audiologists are at the present moment unavailable... :mellow:

• HearPeers Heroes

So the med el rep said if I have them only when my CI is on that I should stop wearing it until I see my audiologist or my surgeon. Then I wouldn't be able to hear. They are not as bad when it's turned down. So I think it's just the map needs to be changed.

• HearPeers Heroes

Audiologist is better choice regarding this specific issue... 

• HearPeers Heroes

That's good Kara. You won't have to wait much longer

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, what they could do than remap?  :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

It's an Audi visit. So hopefully.

• HearPeers Heroes

Well there is a lot that can be done. If one frequency is set too high, especially in the higher frequencies, it can be almost painful. I know this from experience. A new map can possibly take care of the headaches. This is the newest thing in her life that was introduced so it is a process of elimination starting with the newest first. Which would be activation.

I had such a bad headache after my first few days, I couldn't stand it. Start with the obvious first and work your way backwards.

• HearPeers Heroes

But - this whole process is remapping, isn't it? No matter if you just shut down the electrode or make a totally new map?

I am just guessing...? :huh:

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes and no. She could just shut off some electrodes or totally readjust the map settings. I think each Audi does things a bit different as well so when I am done I will let you all know what the outcome was.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes Kara it can be a little tricky. When my Audi turned off #12, we had to change a couple of the others to even things out. Hopefully it helps, let us know

• HearPeers Heroes

So we did a bunch of things. We turned off electrode 12 and we changed the compression ratio and the signal input.

• HearPeers Heroes

We re-mapped as well. Went through all the electrode turned them down a bit. They think I do

Lots of training so I can time it down a bit.

• HearPeers Heroes

Technically all of these changes are called mapping. Lots of options when our audiologists make new maps for us. Hope it works for you Kara.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Be sure to take notes of anything good or bad. This will help fine tune the next mapping. Keep us updated

• HearPeers Heroes

Will do. It hast been so bad the last few days. So she also thinks I'm trying too hard. Giving myself too much anxiety about the training. I guess this could be true. I just think I'm devoted to make the best of a good thing. But like you guys always say it's a marathon not a sprint. So I need to relax a bit with it.

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara,

Maybe setting a timeframe for training will ease your anxiety about it a bit. I committed to one year of auditory training after each implant. I know I will be training seriously for 52 weeks. That helps put things in perspective. 365 possible days. Taking a few days off here and there will not effect the outcome. Also, if I'm having trouble adjusting to a new map I move to easier listening tasks for awhile and work my way back up. It's not a steady gain. It has dips from time to time. Our brains need a chance to catch up.

Do take it easy for a bit. It's more important that your CI becomes comfortable to wear all day. The training will come in due time.

Wishing you the best,

Mary Beth

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Mary Beth. I figured I need to slow down. I am having my first setback!! So I need to slow down. I am doing very well so no need to stress about it too much. I was more worried that the surgeon would not be happy with me

If I didn't keep my end of the bargain. I can't go on without it so I have to RELAX!! Lol

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

You are definitely committed to doing your part and I'm sure your CI team recognizes this in you. Right now your part is to take a bit of a break and then be able to wear your CI all day again without any pain/headaches.

Treat yourself well and stay warm. It's freezing here today.