Kara update

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kara,

Just checking in with you to see how your headaches are doing with your new map.

Hope you are feeling better,

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

I am doing pretty good. I still have the headaches but I have found that I get them if I am overstimulated or if I touch the implant site. It is very very sensitive. Sends a jarring pain. So I take the processor off right away if I feel one coming on and it goes away. So not too bad. The map I wish I could turn it up but everything would still be too much so it's kind of quiet for me right now. Metal on metal is so overstimulating as well.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Kara,

I'm sorry you still have the headaches. You may want to schedule an appointment with your surgeon about the jarring pain when you touch the implant site. That does not seem typical to me. I always go with better safe than sorry so if it was me, I'd schedule an appointment with my surgeon. Sure hope things settle down for you soon.

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara,

I agree with Mary Beth. Tell your surgeon you are feeling pain at the implant site.

• HearPeers Heroes

I did initially try to schedule an appointment with the surgeon but they wouldn't book me. The pain I was told is just from the nerves reconnecting. It is actually only at the incision site. Not where the implant is. There is what she called a "ditch" from the surgery and it is very sensitive. As well as the ear canal because of the observation of the mastoid cavity.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mmm... It shouldn't hurt so much because of cut neural endings...

Do you have any skin redness or oedema?

Is this pain lesser after a period of not wearing outer unit for a while? After sleeping...

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry. I meant the incision site. Like Ivana said check for redness. Could be sign of an infection.

• HearPeers Heroes

No infection I had it checked by a doctor last week. No redness. No swelling. It's only if I push on it. It's fine with the processor. Only if I push in it that it hurts. I can wear the processor all day and have no pain. It's only when washing around it. If I put my finger in my ear or push on the " ditch".

• HearPeers Heroes

Kara, I'd still insist on an appointment with the surgeon or get your family doctor to call and make the appointment. I agree with Mary Beth, better safe than sorry.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok I will talk to Audi at mapping on Tuesday as well. See if she thinks so too.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana I can't sleep on that side yet. For about ten minutes it's ok but becomes very uncomfortable after that. No redness or swelling. No changes there at all. This is what happened as the numbness wore off.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ivana I can't sleep on that side yet. For about ten minutes it's ok but becomes very uncomfortable after that. No redness or swelling. No changes there at all. This is what happened as the numbness wore off.

I would insist on an appointment because the infection doesn't have to be superficial - it can be deep also. This kind of infections can destroy inner unit.

The other possibility is the magnet strength.

I would highy advise a consultation with someone who has seen more implants and has experiences in this field. This doesn't mean that your family doctor doesn't know the job - just, how many implants did he/she see in the professional life?

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok thanks Ivana. The Audi a week ago said it look fined. But since all of you guys care so much I will book an appointment. ❤️❤️

• HearPeers Heroes

To all my loving and concerned friends. I contacted the surgeons office to book. An appointment. Thanks for all your love!!!❤️❤️❤️

• HearPeers Heroes

Let us know what they say. If you are not satisfied with the surgeons explanation, you can always get a 2nd opinion.

• HearPeers Heroes

I will let you know tomorrow what the Audi says. I have sent an email To the surgeons office. No response yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok. It is better that we made mistake than something is really not good...

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm glad you got the appointment, Kara. Let us know what happens.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have an Audi/mapping tomorrow. Haven't heard from the surgeons office yet.

• HearPeers Heroes

So here's the scoop. I had the map redone again. Some higher frequencies were turned down. Also what was really cool is she showed me the Rogers Pen. It was quite neat. It worked well but I found the direct sound a bit overwhelming. Some good news also. My appeal letter has been accepted. They will begin discussing with me and the team if it's a for sure go!! They want me to come it to some studies and things like that so I was so excited. They haven't said "yes for sure" but it's the next step to becoming bilateral!!!

As with training she wants me to do it in smaller chunks as that may reduce the risk of getting overstimulated. She. Was excited to hear that I have mentors here on the forum and asked for some names. Hope it's ok.

I also pushed for an appointment with the surgeon. I go on Friday!! He was out of the country for a few weeks and opened up a clinic at last minute!!

What a good day!! Oh, also she wants me to explore more of my programs and let her know how I like or dislike them. How they work in different settings and so on. I have been really a set it and forget it kind of person so she really wants me to review them for her.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh I forgot! (I was excited about the good news!!) she looked at the incision and saw one swelling or redness. But I pushed to see the surgeon anyways. She pushed on it as well. She thought it was fine. I have trouble settling for things when I have made up my mind!!