Battery Life

tjwarney

I received my CI September 2014.  Everyone has told me that the batteries should last around 60 hours.  I have checked several sets and none have lasted more than 35 hours.  Has anyone else check their battery life?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello TJWarney,

welcome to the Hearpeers.

Regarding your question, it depends on individual user - not all have same time of battery life. It depends on your map, thickness of your skin flap etc.

As I am not a CI user, please wait for our CI team - they will tell you how long their batteries last individually. :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Based on the date you were implanted, you either have the rondo or opus 2 processor. I had the opus 2 and got 5 full days battery life. There are things that can affect this. If you buy batteries from a convenience stor for example. You have no way of knowing how fresh they are. Also using an fm system or your DAI cables a lot can drain the batteries quickly. Especially if you use an FM system.

I guess the first thing to look at is where you get your batteries from. That is a pretty short amount of time. I try some different batteries and see if that makes any difference. Also try CI batteries compared to hearing aid batteries. Also touch base with your Audi to make sure the processor is functioning correctly

Adam

• HearPeers Heroes

Also, and this is often overlooked, the Opus2 has two different battery pack options which both use disposable batteries. There is the two battery option and the three battery option. Obviously, there is longer battery life with the three battery option.

I used the two battery option and they lasted two full days.

• HearPeers Heroes

My batteries last between three and four days.

• HearPeers Heroes

I have changed batteries three times for 11 days after activation. They lasted about 2.5 days which is close to 60 hours of battery life with the processor on for about 16 hours each day. I use PowerOne implant Plus batteries provided by Med El.

Thanks to those that responded.  Yes I do have a Optus 2 plus I was lucky enough to receive the new Sonnet as well.  Neither of them the batteries last that long.  I use the same batteries that came with the unit "Power One Implant Plus" for CI's.  I do not listen to music so there is no extra drain.  As with all of us I am grateful to be able to hear, but very interested in why they don't last as long.

• HearPeers Heroes

I currently get three days with my sonnet

• HearPeers Heroes

TJ,

there are many reasons and each one of us wrote a detail. I would rather examine how this study was conducted. 

If you are asking me how I tracked the battery usage.  I created an excel spreadsheet, each entry I listed the time I turned on the unit and then the time I turned it off.  Then just added the number of hours used each day.  Very basic but it gave me the number of hours the batteries last.

• HearPeers Heroes

TJ,

The batteries do not stop running when you turn off the processor.

• HearPeers Heroes

yes, our batteries need air for functioning, once they are activated...

• HearPeers Heroes

Hadron

I think as long as the time the processor is off is factored in, it should be accurate. One thin I would add is to note the use of any assistive listening devices like the DAI cable, Quattro or an fm system. I have found that the use of my FM system drains the battery life quite a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

The life of my batteries are different. I use my Rondo the whole day and sometimes I have to change them after 4 and sometimes after 5 days. When I change the batteries I always wait

1-3 minutes before I close my Rondo. Sure, now I use much more batteries than before but important for me is that the hearing quality is much more better than with a hearing aid. I am

sure, there will be improvements in this direction.

• HearPeers Heroes

All of the discussions about battery life intrigue me- here and in the FaceBook group. Everyone's experience varies a bit. I have come to the conclusion that in order to compare batteries, we need the same user to try different brands using the same processors set on the same programs with the same amount of ALD usage. Smile. The good thing is that we have choices for batteries. The better news is that there will be a rechargeable option for the Sonnet at some point. Unfortunately, this doesn't help Rondo users.

I mention this again because I would never have thought to have MedEl check if my insurance covered CI batteries since it didn't cover HAs nor HA batteries if I hadn't read about the MedEl monthly battery shipments on the Facebook group. Be sure to ask your MedEl CSR to have your insurance checked to see if it will cover batteries shipped to you by MedEl. If you are fortunate, this will make your cost much less than buying them online.

• HearPeers Heroes

Marybeth, my insurance covers mine. I guess it depends on the insurance. I agree about battery life test. You would have to be in pretty controlled environment to get any accurate data. Plus, that might just be for that individual which could be different for somebody else

• HearPeers Heroes

It will be very difficult to conduct this kind of test. For a start there should be a clear answer what exactly  influence at battery life, than there should be a careful study design otherwise - "you painted a wall uselessly".  B)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes it is complicated by the fact that the zinc air batteries continue to lose power even though they are not in use. However, MedEl recommends turning off the units "to preserve battery power" so that makes it seem as though the drainage on the battery differs depending on if the unit is turned on. Many people say our maps do not effect battery life however during the activation period- when I was building up to my full current level- my batteries lasted longer than they did once I was at a full level.

Either way, my Sonnets get longer battery use than my Opus2 did even with similar ALD usage. I can get 2 3/4 days out of two batteries with the Sonnet. The Opus2 with two batteries only got 2 days and a hour or two.

I do use the Bluetooth neckloop several hours daily and that impacts battery life.

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting - my battery life worsen drastically with Samba. I had some periods when I even forgot to my battery when I had previos model, Amade.

And, this is a situation when I have not used ALD at all.

Also, shutting off my device do not add more "juice" to my battery so I basically stopped doing that although I was convinced that I do a right move.

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes it is complicated by the fact that the zinc air batteries continue to lose power even though they are not in use. However, MedEl recommends turning off the units "to preserve battery power" so that makes it seem as though the drainage on the battery differs depending on if the unit is turned on. Many people say our maps do not effect battery life however during the activation period- when I was building up to my full current level- my batteries lasted longer than they did once I was at a full level.

Either way, my Sonnets get longer battery use than my Opus2 did even with similar ALD usage. I can get 2 3/4 days out of two batteries with the Sonnet. The Opus2 with two batteries only got 2 days and a hour or two.

I do use the Bluetooth neckloop several hours daily and that impacts battery life.

Mary Beth and our other experts, perhaps you know how long the Quattro can last between charging. Just want to get the general impression if it is about 2-3 hours, 10-12 hours or a couple of days? And if is there any difference in that period depending on which Bluetooth devices you use?

• HearPeers Heroes

I've never run out of battery in one day and just charge it every night.

• HearPeers Heroes

If I remember correctly, the literature in the guide states that it has a 10 hour lifespan before needing to be recharged

• HearPeers Heroes

Ok, that's good amount of time. Thank you, Adam.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everybody..

I've got a question concerning the zinc or other battery use for OPUS2:

Will different manufactures of battery , producing cheap or expensive  ones, harm the audio processor?  what are the best ones (recharge or not) which may extend life of audio processor, if any?

thnks