Sonnet Microphones

tjwarney

All the ads state that the Sonnet has two microphones.  I just found out from Med-El that only one is being used.  Does anyone know why?

• HearPeers Heroes

In the US, we are waiting for FDA approval on

-dual mics

-windblock feature

Everyone is waiting on MedEl for

-Sonnet rechargeable batteries

-Sonnet 2.4 wireless connectivity devices

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi TJWarney,

To get the SONNET FDA approved MED-EL only had to show it was equivalent to the Opus 2. They told the FDA that any new features would be submitted through future FDA approval requests.

So none of the new features which were advertised to future buyers like the dual mics, automatic sound management, digital wireless connectivity, more durable DL coil were operational.

Some people called the SONNET an OPUS 2 with a raincoat (water resistant). Some people say they hear better with the SONNET and others the same.

That was back in late 2014. It is now over a year later and none of these new features have been FDA approved. So we wait.

Now the DL coil is interesting because it is supposed to be more efficient than the current coil. So when you upgrade to the DL coil you should see improved battery life.

• HearPeers Heroes

Oddly enough the DL-coil is listed in the FDA database as approved last March

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth,

Good find. Makes you wonder why it has not become available.

Getting ready to be implanted Friday and slightly regret I didn't find out sooner there's no concrete timeline for stepping ahead with the rest.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Nikki,

You must be excited. Do not worry about these missing features. You will be very busy adapting to your new way of hearing.

When these features are approved you will be in a better position to make use of them.

What colors did you choose for your SONNET?

Yeah, I'm excited, and nervous at the same time. I wanted to thank Cara for sharing her surgery and recovery stories and photos to help visualize and prepare to Friday and the days to follow. About colors, I'm pretty horrible at stuff like that but I want to think I came out with a pretty cool combination of black and anthracite. At first I wanted to make it look like a dolphin, but it came out more like a Harley Davidson gadget :-) :-) feeling nervous today and truly hoping for a good outcome from this process.

• HearPeers Heroes

Best of luck Nikki. Don't stress it's an amazing journey. I am sure the hospital will take great care of you!! Also welcome to Hearpeers!! I wouldn't be where I am today without this group of special dedicated people!!

Thanks to all who have responded.  I don't understand why Med-El cannot put out updates so that we the users know what is going on.  Would make for good customer service.

TJ

• HearPeers Heroes

Yeah, I'm excited, and nervous at the same time. I wanted to thank Cara for sharing her surgery and recovery stories and photos to help visualize and prepare to Friday and the days to follow. About colors, I'm pretty horrible at stuff like that but I want to think I came out with a pretty cool combination of black and anthracite. At first I wanted to make it look like a dolphin, but it came out more like a Harley Davidson gadget :-) :-) feeling nervous today and truly hoping for a good outcome from this process.

Want to tell you one more time, please, don't worry much about Friday. It will be a very good and special day for you. Would be great to hear your story after you become bionic.

And if possible, when you get your Sonnet, please, post the picture of that. I think about mixing the black and anthracite colors in my next Sonnet when I am ready to go bilateral.

• HearPeers Heroes

Erik Haugsby,

As Mary Beth noted above the DL-coil was FDA approved in March of 2015. Do you know why it has not been released yet in the USA?

Thanks

Dear Mr Hadron,

It's approved but Med-el toughest competitor in CI market and USA they have also CI company so like that there is delayed before it's available in USA market than other countries market

• HearPeers Heroes

The automatic sound management is active in the sonnet Hedron.

The main thing we are waiting on is the

2nd mic

Wind suppression

And sometime in the future the wireless.

I didn't realize the DL coil had been approved. I will touch base with my Audi to see what she knows.

I used the opus 2 for the last 4 years and recently upgraded to Sonnet. I can tell a difference for the better but hard to describe.

I was out in Arizona a few months ago to participate in research on the dual mic Sonnet. Having the dual Mics and programs that come with it, are leaps and bounds better than the single, in my humble opinion. :D

• HearPeers Heroes

In my opinion I am not crazy about wind suppression. It makes all noise quiet or not existent. Then as the wind subsides it goes back to normal.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Adam,

The SONNET comes with a new version of Automatic Sound Management (ASM). It is called ASM version 2.0. However the software has not been activated.

ASM 2.0 allows your audiologist among other things to configure the microphone directionality and turn on the wind noise reduction feature.

Since ASM 2.0 needs both microphones activated we must wait till the microphone activation software is installed. Hopefully all this software will be available when MED-EL gets FDA approval.

• HearPeers Heroes

Adam,

You probably tested the ASM 2.0 at ASU. Ask them if you get a chance.

Again I will state, why doesn't Med El put out a bulletin or memo or email all of us to let us know what is going on.  In my opinion it does not make sense to keep us in the dark.  It would not cost them anything to keep patients in the loop.  Currently we are all just guessing at what, when, and where.

TJ

• HearPeers Heroes

I believe Med El cannot control FDA's permission process and has no idea when FDA will aprove all that features we are waiting for. Probably, it is why Med El cannot tell anything specific not to give us any false hopes.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

I think it would be unprofessional for them to give us any sort of false hope. And because many countries have different approval times and rates they can't tell us about things that are unapproved. We NEED to be patient and be thankful for what we already have. Not always hoping and desiring more. I am content and I know there is a possibility that some thine new may come. But for now I am so happy I can hear. Remembering that it is an aid, not a cure. We need not to be critical either. They are humans just like us and we need to remember that.