Sonnet Microphones

tjwarney

• HearPeers Heroes

Erik Haugsby,

As Mary Beth noted above the DL-coil was FDA approved in March of 2015. Do you know why it has not been released yet in the USA?

Thanks

Hadron - If I may advise you, write to Erik in his PM section. Perhaps he is not reading all messages on the forum because he is editing FB group also.

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks Ivana,

I sent Erik a message.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Cara is correct. If it has to deal with the FDA, they ( FDA) can take as long as they want to approve. Medel knows as much as we do when it comes to things getting approved.

• HearPeers Heroes

Perhaps even they do not know exactly what is going on, and making a pressure... Not sure if it is smart...

• HearPeers Heroes

I prefer to live in my little world and not let all these things get to me. I read the news not watch it. We have no cable we watch loads of movies!! There is too much negativity out there I don't care for it.

• 5 months later...

Does anybody have information about where an American can go in Canada to have the second microphone activated?

• HearPeers Heroes

There are a few Canadians in this group. I'm sure they could help you. If they knew what area you were traveling from, it might be easier to nail down a location.

all that to say, if you go to Canada to get the 2nd mic turned on, any adjustments or fine tuning needed would mean having to travel back to Canada for the necessary "tweaking". That could get rather expensive. 

I think we all are as impatien as you. I have experienced both mics while participating in a study. They are amazing and the wait is killing us all. We just need to be a little more patient. If you do choose to go to Canada, good luck

• HearPeers Heroes

Just to add to Adam's comments, think about if your Sonnet needs a repair/replacement.  Just this week I had to replace one of my Sonnets because the rubber seal near the battery cover end when you close it, tore.  Med-El contacted my audiologist and they remote loaded my MAPs and sent a replacement Sonnet to me that arrived 2 days later.  That will not be able to happen if your programs are using features that are not yet FDA approved.  Just something to consider.  Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Adam & Mary Beth, many thanks for your responses.

Toronto is be the closest major city to my midwest location.

I have two sonnet processors with identical MAP's, and the second microphone would activated in one of them. The other will be retained as a spare until as a problem arises with the first unit, or activated when FDA approval is granted, whichever comes first.

• HearPeers Heroes

Best of luck to you.  If you are willing, I'd love to read about your impressions after playing with the dual mics after having used the single mic on the Sonnet first.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi I'm from Canada near Toronto to be exact. I'm not sure if it's allowed to have your processor "turned on" the mics o mean by crossing the border. The clinics here are already overwhelmed with their own patients. So here I have contacts for the place I go. You will likely have to pay for your appointments you're not Canadian. I go to Snnybrook health sciences ceitre. 2075 Bayview ave  Toronto M4N 3M5. (416) 480-6751. Our Med el reps are located at another centre. Union Hearing Aid Centre. 123 Edward street suite #710 Toronto M5G 1E2. (416) 364-2264. If that helps. Great if not sorry, I tired. 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Well... Same thing would be if he needs to go to, for example, Europe to work... This should be covered under kind of world guarantee for devices...

Or, for instance, if I come to the U.S. to work - would that mean that I do not have any service support there although I am implanted under a lot different circumstances...?

• HearPeers Heroes

That's a good question Ivana.  Since Bone Bridge is not available here in the US at this time, I sure hope you do not have any difficulties when you travel here!  Our friend, Matt, has gotten great service on his CI when he has been out of the country.  It seems he is always posting a photo of himself with a Med-El clinician in countries he visits. Smile.

• HearPeers Heroes

Exactly Mary Beth - my example is an extreme but what can expect an European implantee if he or she goes for a work abroad, in the U.S.? A CI implantee... 

• HearPeers Heroes

It's not really problem to pay for the audiologist's service, but what about device's warranty?

• HearPeers Heroes

Marybeth, 

i believe a made a pretty detailed post of my experience with both mics compared to one. Not sure if you saw it or not. 

• HearPeers Heroes

If I were to travel abroad for work, or play, I would contact MEDEL to see how to handle a situation where I might need a replacement. I would imagine nothing would change. I would call my CSR and give them the new address. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I saw it Adam.  Thanks.  Your enthusiasm and John's enthusiasm is contagious.  You have both experienced the Sonnets with one omni mic and then participated in the research on the dual mics.  I can't wait.

• HearPeers Heroes

Good things come to those who wait!! Dual mics Rock!! (Not to rub it in at all) 

• HearPeers Heroes

I don't know what to say you, Gang ...  It's a real practice of patience... 

Of course, contacting Med-EL is most obvious way to do, but - what about if you would go working abroad not for a few months than possibly even longer...

Replacement is one thing, but I wouldn't have anything to replace in your country Adam...:P

• HearPeers Heroes

Interesting point Ivana. I don't have a clue. Might not be a bad idea to get clarification from Medel. You do travel so it would be good to know 

• HearPeers Heroes

I would think if you have it then they can send parts replacements to whatever address you choose. It's their product and warranty. I would definitely get clarification in that one.