Yoga and Pilates after Surgery

Megan L.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi All :)

Its been a month today since I got implanted and I was told to wait at least 4 weeks before I started exercising again. I love yoga and pilates and I was wondering how long other people waited before jumping back into it. With inverted poses and body weight movements, I don't feel like I'm ready to put that pressure on my head yet - so I will wait.

Anybody have any experience in this situation? Advice?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Megan,

I am glad that your found our forum. Like to read your posts. I am a yoga person (maybe with some pilates included). After my first surgery I resumed my balance exercising several days after surgery. But waited with inverted/body weigh poses for about a month. I started very careful with the easiest things just to see how it works to me. After my second surgery I am much adventurous. Surprisingly, the most uncomfortable thing to do for me was a jumping rope. and have a band for your processor. At the beginning it was very handy to keep my processor on its place.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Cara Mia,  

I'm glad I found the forum too! Your posts around the community are so helpful.  Glad to also find a fellow Yogi on here ?  Thanks for sharing your experience with Yoga after the implant. I guess with this being my first implant, I'm very cautious. Balance poses are a good idea to start off with. Sometimes when I bend over, I can feel the implant which makes me wonder if I should wait on inverted poses a little longer. Does that happen for you? 

Jumping rope is great exercise and I can see it being tough with the processor. I went to school for fashion design so I'm working on designing and making something for the processor to sit in while jumping around ? A plain headband just won't do for this fashion diva ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Oh, that 's great when some challenges with CI make us artsy and crafty.... No plain headband for divas! :)

Sure, I felt and currently feel) my internal  implant sometimes. But how my surgeon reassure me, all that limitations about weight lifting, sneezing, etc are not  actually about a possibility to damage or misplace the implant or electrode. It is more about a round window and tegmen dehiscence sealing.  But it is never bad to be careful and respectful to our body, feelings and doc's instructions :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes a little creative problem solving ? One of my favorite things to do! I'll have to let you know how I make out. 

Ohhhh ok. So if I understand correctly, all those precautions are just to ensure the stitches don't break or become unsealed. That's reassuring it has nothing to do with the implant itself. Exactly, it's always good to listen to what our body tells us ?  Thanks for easing my mind! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Please, Megan, let me know how you make it out. I like designer apparel. You work will inspire me to "modernize" my plain headband. At least I need to put some Swarovski crystals -  kind of the third eye :rolleyes:

About sealing - modern surgeons can be so creative not using any stitches for sealing but applying some limitation on the customers  :)

• HearPeers Heroes

Will do Cara Mia! I too like designer apparel ? Maybe a little too much...nahhhh just kidding there! A little bling bling never hurt anyone ?

I know I definitely got stitches. They are self dissolving, however lately the remains have been popping up to the surface causing some irritation and scabs. Nurse said that was ok and to put Bactricin on it.  I can see how sealing would cause limitations. I'm surprised they use that?

• HearPeers Heroes

Sure we have some stitches after CI surgery. I also felt some pokes from inside this time.

Sorry I was not clear meaning that some places inside were sealed without sewing. Designers' work :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

Well girls - pardon me for jumping into the pool, perhaps you can make a guide for (re)starting yoga exercises after the implantation... I am pretty sure this could be helpful to a bunch of people...;)

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Ivana!

Thanks for jumping in -  I'm happy to see more people love Yoga than just me! That is a great idea ? Cara Mia said she started out with balance poses and I think that's a great start after surgery. When I bend over, I can feel some pressure where the implant is. There's a decent amount of inverted poses in Yoga, so more time is probably needed before resuming them.  I'll give it some thought ? What do you think Cara Mia?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hope you will girls, there are some theories that people who are hard of hearing has balance issues - but only because they were missing their hearing inputs. On the subtle level.

Everyone could profit of that approach...;)

• HearPeers Heroes

That's really interesting Ivana. I've never heard that but I do wonder if that could be true...sometimes I do stumble especially in the dark when my ears are not in. I'm completely fine when my ears are in. I'll have to pay closer attention now. They also say that people hear better when they put their glasses on or can see what's happening ?

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
4 minutes ago, Megan L. said:

That's really interesting Ivana. I've never heard that but I do wonder if that could be true...sometimes I do stumble especially in the dark when my ears are not in. I'm completely fine when my ears are in. I'll have to pay closer attention now. They also say that people hear better when they put their glasses on or can see what's happening ?

Of course - audio and visual cortex are very near and alert each other. Alo, they help each other by shortening the time of the reaction.

Well, I meant on very subtle balance changes, for instance - if you're hearing impaired person you can't hear properly every sound around you and brain uses inputs from all sided, and especially comparing sounds from both ears so it can adjust itself in the space... Very interesting matter...

• HearPeers Heroes

Yesssss all so interesting Ivana! Thank you for explaining and sharing ? It's always fun to learn something new!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Arghhh... I have potentials in some of wildest and weirdest hobbies - (re)thinking (and philosophizing) is one of them although today sadly forgotten or not used as well as these arts should be. :D

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

No matter how random, please do continue to share! Some of the best conversations come from a random, wild, weird hobby or thought ??

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

I agree - recently I read how Einstein wrote his theory of relativity when he had more than enough of his time after he finished his duties in the patent office.

I am much more modest - a good chat and fun is more than enough...;)

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm not very good at science but I love Einstein and his quotes. I think he's a wonderful inspiration to everyone starting out or even struggling in their field. His contributions to science are amazing. Such an interesting guy.

Who doesn't love a good chat and good fun ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Megan wrote: "When I bend over, I can feel some pressure where the implant is. There's a decent amount of inverted poses in Yoga, so more time is probably needed before resuming them.  I'll give it some thought ? What do you think Cara Mia? "

Definitely give it some time to start with inverted poses. Before resuming it, I checked if it's time to do it or go further. First, I checked that my balance is not affected after surgery. You know, you cannot do inversion if your are unstable :rolleyes:

Then, I started from the very baby steps like, bend over sitting on the edge of a chair to get my head as lower as possible. If you are comfortable, go to the next steps at your choice. For example, after the chair, I tried "Standing Forward bend"  Uttanasana, then the same but with my forehead bend to my knee. This helps to understand if you are comfortable with some pressure and tension applied to your neck and scalp muscles. Then, I checked if my upper body can hold weight - Chaturanga Dandasana (Four limbed Staff Pose). After that I tried both - my head down with weight applied to the upper body - Prasarita Padottanasana (Straddle Forward Bend). Bridge pose (Setu Bandha Sarvangasana) helps to feel how the back of your head can bear some pressure. This pose makes it easy for you to control the amount of pressure on your head. Check your arm balance and ability to hold weight at more advanced level - Crow pose or Arm pressure pose, then Firefly pose (Bakasana - Bhujapidasana - Tittibhasana). If all of that comfortable, it is time to start with the specific transitional poses to get to inversion position. Just don't jump up side down at once. Following all "classic" transitional poses allow you to stop at any moment when you feel uncomfortable. So, take you time, be wise and careful, and then upside down and relaxed  ?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Cara Mia!

Thank you for all your detailed guides through yoga poses ? I tried to do Pilates the other day and it didn't go well. There was discomfort and pressure by the implant. So I stopped. I feel the pressure when I bend down and as well as when put my forehead to the floor. Unfortunately, I think I have to wait a little longer before resuming yoga and Pilates. When I do try again in a week or two, I will use your tips above ? So helpful!

• HearPeers Heroes

You are very welcome, Megan. Sure, listen to your body and  soul (or, perhaps, otherwise :) )

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Megan, I hope things have healed to the point that you can get back into the activities that you love. I am very active in a number of sports and had to wait 6 weeks before activation. Plus none of the activities I really enjoy. I hated going through it but didn't want to do anything to jeopardize recovery. Looking back, it was well worth it but going through it drove me nuts

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi Adam, things are much better since I last wrote here. However, I still have not done Yoga or Pilates as it freaks me out to feel the pressure of the implant. So, I'm easing myself into it - little by little the pressure is going away ? I've gotten back to kickboxing and dancing but not Yoga or Pilates which is fine. Agreed - it's worth the wait but the waiting game is hard and I don't want to jeopardize anything either ? Overall, everything is progressing well for exercise. Thank you for checking in! How are things for you?