Airstream and Artone? Do I need both?

Tgayda

Checking into Hear Peers after a long absence. I'm finally taking the plunge and doing the upgrade to Sonnet 2. So many new options since the last one. The patient kit says that the Airstream cover is included. I thought I would need an Audiolink to access the bluetooth for the phone but it looks like the Airstream will take care of that. I also read Mary Beth's blog post on the Artone Max 3. Now I am a bit confused. Should I get both when doing the order or would the Airstream cover be enough?

The Audiolink sounds like it still needs some tweaks and the Artone looks like a better alternative if needed.

Also wondering if the Artone Max 3 would work with theatre loop situations? I used to use the theatre loops and could hook the FM Cover into it for clearer sound. It died a couple of years ago.  Any experiences in a theatre setting? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tgayda

congratulations on your upcoming upgrade to Sonnet 2.

AudioStream will be your direct connection to phone and tablet.

If you want a connection to laptop or TV, then another connectivity device will be needed.

BT around the ear headphones like BOSE QC35 work great with Sonnet 2 processors.

The Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop is also an option with Sonnet 2 on MT or T but most likely people just stay using the AudioStream direct connection instead.

For theaters, the Artone is not a good option as the Artone requires a BT connection.  Theaters either are looped already and we just switch to MT or T or they have an assistive listening system where a loop is plugged into that system’s little box.  Theaters tend to have loops available that plug in.

If your Sonnet 2 upgrade already includes the AudioStream cover AND you also get to choice another connectivity option…

choosing another AudioStream would give you a back up and they cost around $300 and are not covered by insurance

choosing a FM battery cover and DAI cable would restore the way you used to plug into theater assistive listening systems in the headphone jack

The audi sent me the form today and I am going through the options. I'm in Canada and coverage is minimal. I use my retirement benefit for the hearing aid side, and have already used that for the every 4 year period. I'm not sure what is optional or what I would have to pay extra for. More questions to her. Thanks for the insights Mary Beth

Tgayda, an Artone neckloop can be purchased from the Union Hearing Med El store for $150+ tax should you want one. I use both audiostream and the neckloop depending on the circumstances. Hope this helps your decision.

• 1 month later...

Well, I received my new kit on Monday and I am trying to get everything hooked up. The airstream will not connect to my phone, I'm checking into that. The Artone will not go bimodal with my phone it will do hearing aid or Sonnet but not both. Haven't tried the car yet. I will also need much more practice with the Sonnet if I am going to use it for listening on the phone, too much program and volume level adjustments to rely on answering a call with the artone without hearing aid for quick back up. Going to be a big learning curve. 

On the positive side the programs are working very well with the new Sonnet2 EAS. Had the volume increased on the hearing aid part and sounds are clearer and more balanced. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tgayda

I will try to help.

The Artone is a simple device to use.  It pairs to your phone like any BT headphone.  That is the end of that.  Then we just put the Sonnet 2 and hearing aid into MT (microphone/telecoil 50/50 mix) or T (telecoil only- this setting delivers only the streamed sound via the Artone neckloop).  The hearing aid must have a telecoil and that telecoil must be turned on by the HA audiologist.

Here is a captioned video about using the Artone 

When you say “Airstream” are you referring to the Med-El AudioStream which is a special Sonnet/Sonnet2 battery cover with a built in BT receiver or the Med-El AudioLink which is an intermediary connectivity device?

Yes, it is audiostream,  brain and thumb says airstream. I do have the tcoil hooked up with my hearing aid. Maybe I should try putting it on tcoil when running both on the artone to get the bimodal? Will try that. Thanks Mary Beth.

The other problems could be my Samsung A13. It might not be compatible with audiostream. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tgayda

yes definitely need to set both the Sonnet2 and the hearing aid each to MT or T to be able to hear the audio streamed to the Artone.  Good luck

I do not see that phone listed on the compatible phone list for AudioStream but the listed is updated from time to time.  Here is a link 

https://www.medel.com/en-us/hearing-solutions/accessories/connectivity/audiostream

IMG_3400.png

Think I have the tcoil thing figured out and probably won't need to use the connect clip for my hearing aid when using the Artone. Will only work with aid or Sonnet, not both and the hearing aid wins the connection in bimodel. 

I did see the compatible phones list. Was hoping it might not be current. For my next phone, which will probably be another year, I will review the list again and make a better choice. 

Thanks again!

• 8 months later...

Hi guys!  Like Tgayda, another long-time user but mostly lurker coming back to 'hear' your thoughts again!  There were so many threads related to both the Sonnet 2 and it's accessories, I wasn't sure where to jump in (especially since much of them were just about troubleshooting stuff), but I'm kind of in the same spot as her, so hope you don't mind me checking in with!

I feel like such a simplistic/behind-the-times user... been happily chugging along with my Sonnet for 5 years now, with no issues except sometimes frustrations with the rechargeable batteries connecting as well now.  I'm also not the type to do a lot of phone calls or music/audio-stuff, so while I tried out the streaming capability with the Roger pen back in the beginning, it was nice, but hated how cumbersome it was (especially having to be connected to my phone for some things), and just was awkward to quickly set up for a call or music when I didn't use it often, so eventually quit.

However, not realizing all the new stuff that's come out, I'm now in the same boat of being asked if I want to upgrade to the Sonnet 2, and all the stuff that comes with it!  Ooh.... both very cool, and a little flustered at all the options, and sheepish at this brain fog or something I'm having at clarifying what everything is and why I need it, and the website tends to just talk about cool features, and not what it's like for a user!  So @Tgayda (and @Mary Beth, because I know you're usually chatty and greatly up on this stuff!), I see from your last post that you got the Sonnet 2, AudioStream, and Artone?  How do you like it?  I could probably keep chugging along on my Sonnet, but the Sonnet 2 sounds quite improved, with more connection capabilities?

The upgrade form has the option for Audiolink, Artone, extra AudioStream, and the FM thing. I also now get to pick a combo of regular batteries or the new Max.  Been hard of hearing nearly entire life and usually good with tech, but sorry, this is why joked felt clumsy/behind the times since I don't tend to use add-ons, and have no idea what you'd pick any of these for, and despite looking at the Medel site, I'm getting them mixed up.  Bear with me?

AudioStream - a handy cover that's BT, like the Roger thing was, but can now directly link instead to your phone/device, with nothing else?  Just have to have BT turned on, and instantly pairs device?

Audiolink - the handy little BT link to device, that basically does the same thing, but has a remote?  You still need to have AudioStream on, or on a certain mode?

Artone - basically the same thing, but a neckloop made by different company, and I like the small, light design too (I saw Mary Beth's review of this), and due to how signals work, still need to be in MT/T to hear it?

Ok, that was it...  thanks for humoring me, and just wondering about the choice between these, the ease of using and what I have to look forward to (even if I don't stream music or calls much)!

Hi Emily C. Welcome back. Yes ,I got both, but haven't used the Airstream yet.  My phone wasn't compatible  and the reps aren't sure if my hearing aid model will be compatible for bimodal use.  I am looking at getting a new phone at the moment. Check out the Med-El site to see what phones will work with the Airstream. I am using the Artone Max everyday. Works well from the Audikey app. It also is compatible with my cochlear and hearing aid. Conversation clarity is greatly improved. 

There are a couple things that are irritating. Technology and deafness can be such a pain in the butt. Yes, you have to have it on MT-mix on the audio key 2 phone app. There is a slight difference in sound, but workable. Check that the Bluetooth is connected. Sometimes it will misbehave and I'll have to ask the caller to bear with me while I reconnect. When you answer the phone, you have to change the hearing aid side to telecoil also for best performance.   Remember to reset everything when you change the battery. It flips back to mic. It doesn't work with my home phone. If I have it on, and try to pick up on my regular phone, I can't hear anything on it and quickly have to shut off the Artone.  The Artone won't connect to my laptop. Yesterday's Zoom meeting stress. Also, the Artone blinks blue while on. Quite brightly 🙄. People ask me all the time what it is. Sometimes I will slip it into my shirt or turn it so the light is facing my body. Overall i am quite happy with it. I see a lot of techie issues with the Audiostream app, so hopefully by the time I get my new phone, they will have this worked out. 

Good luck

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

always good to read your posts.

I do like testing out various tech options even though in my personal daily use I only actually use a few favorites. (BOSE QC35 around the ear headphones and Artone 3 neckloop- neckloop ONLY for phone calls and speech- headphones for traveling and music).

I like the sound quality of the AudioStream but it has some limitations for me.  Specifically- no user control over the mix ratio of processor mics vs streamed audio; not hands free for phone calls as we need to speak into our phone so others hear us; many users report having to exchange under warranty whereas my other connectivity tech lasts for many years; limited to phone/tablet.  But it does sound great.

BOSE QC35 BT around the ear headphones are just awesome for traveling as well as for music.

AudioLink is an intermediary device that serves several functions.  It does not have great sound quality in my opinion and performs best while actually cabled to the sound source- which is limiting for me.  It also has a very small range compared to other streaming devices.  So it is not a great match for my lifestyle.  Some other users like it.

I have been eligible for an upgrade for awhile.  I am using Sonnet 1.  I have decided to wait until Med-El releases the next generation processor.  A lot is changing in the BT world and I hope the next processor will be ready for those changes.  Look up AuraCast if you are interested in how BT will be changing for everyone.

@Mary Beth yesterday's Zoom meeting was a challenge. Started trying to connect the Artone to the laptop. Haven't zoomed for a while and couldn't remember if I had tried before. Didn't work, went to the hearing aid side connection decice which I used in the past. Disappointing sound quality after using the Artone for bimodal, ended up using the headphones plugged in to jack because I hadn't set them up on the laptop. Missed about a 1/3 of the presentation trying to wrangle in some sound. This morning the presenters sent a survey. Commented on lack of CC and tiny speaker window to see lips. Another stressful moment for the "Deaf Girl" because I had a meeting after to report on the presentation. 😵‍💫

• HearPeers Heroes

@Tgayda

Tech is great when it works and beyond frustrating when it doesn’t.  Smile

When you have free time, try connecting your Artone to that laptop for a zoom call to a friend.  Be sure BT is off on whichever device the Artone had been connected to last because it will automatically connect back to that device.  So by turning BT off on the previous connected device, it makes connecting to the laptop easier.

Also- have you turned on Live Captions on your laptop?  It’s free and anytime there is audio, a screen will pop up with the Live Captions automatic captioning.  This is a computer accessibility feature and not a zoom feature.  We can alter the size and appearance of the Live Captions to suit our preferences.

I was wondering if I already have a com pilot phonac neck loop if it will work with my sonnet 2. I don’t get my sonnet 2 for two more weeks but  wondered @Mary Beth if you knew   

• HearPeers Heroes

That’s what I thought. Do you know if the artone neck loop is compatible with any hearing aid brands. Not sure if wearing two loops would work. I guess headphones don’t discriminate. Lol. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Rob Gellner

here is why things get confusing  for people…..

something is called or worn as a neckloop

people think it is a telecoil neckloop

but sometimes it is NOT a telecoil neckloop but rather a proprietary neckloop that ONLY can be received by specific internal receivers (the neckloop design acts as a great antennae)

Telecoil neckloops do not discriminate.  All Telecoil neckloops can be used by all hearing aids & cochlear implant processors that have telecoil functions and those telecoil functions are turned on by the HA audiologists.

Sonnet/Sonnet2 has a built in telecoil.  We control it via the app or remote by switching ANY program into MT (50/50 mix) or T (telecoil audio only).

If a hearing aid has a built in telecoil (not all do) and if that telecoil is turned on by the HA audiologist (not all are turned on), then the HA can also use telecoil by switching it into MT or T via its own way of handling that switch.

Telecoil neckloops do not discriminate.  So any telecoil neckloop can be used by any CI or HA as long as it has telecoil.

The Artone 3 MAX is such a telecoil neckloop.  It uses BT to connect to sound sources and then when worn around the neck the HA/CI processor in MT/T picks up the audio via its telecoil.

There are also cabled telecoil neckloops which plug into headphone jacks instead of connecting via BT.  They also do not discriminate.

As always you make things much easier to understand. Thanks MB

@Tgayda/ @Mary Beth - cool, thanks guys.
Ha, yeah, sometimes it's great to have such varied techy options and I'm glad for my implant after years of hearing aids and hearing so much better, but sometimes it really is a pain in the butt!  I even joke with people when showing off my implant that I'm like a cyborg with bluetooth enabled.....   ... but... I hardly use that!  😜 😄

That's why I lightheartedly commented that I like this stuff and am not that bad with tech and am trying to be aware of it, but at the same time, am super simple in my needs (don't do phonecalls or music much) or lazy when it comes to wanting to carry a bunch of stuff around with me and fiddle with it... which is why the awkward linking/set-up of my original Roger pen was eventually set aside from annoyance of linking/bulk/even dropped my call, once.  I vaguely also remember not liking the sound of MT versus just the "actual" sound from my speakers or phone, so I'm not sure.  Now with being told that I could upgrade if I wanted to and see all these options on the form, despite looking things up, just getting brain fog figuring it out!

Sure, they look great for connecting... but the sites don't mention stuff like what it's like actually connecting and using it, or difficulties.  So were my 'definitions' of each item about right?  And that you use them for roughly the same things?  Thanks for the feedback - so do you need to be wearing the AudioStream with the other devices, or how else would they receive signal?  Just at first glance, AudioLink looks bigger and more awkward compared to Artone... again, this coming from a person who doesn't want to have to carry bulky accessories in pockets.  Which also brings up the question - do they all have to be on MT/T mode to get signal?  That means I would have to carry my little remote around with me to switch... I tended to stop keeping it with me, because I'm usually fine with the mode/volume I'm on for everyday use!  But you said the app that goes with it now can control that... okay... then it would just be on my phone.  (except for the connection issues some people were apparently having).  Whew.  Did I get it all?  It sounds like if I decide to do this, I'll check the box for the Artone, then.

Which brings up your other comment, Mary Beth... I'm curious that you say you're eligible for upgrade too, but despite being much more 'into' all the other tech than I am, you've decided to wait for now?  I guess there's no rush for me upgrading if things are fine, but just wondered.  Although... maybe thanks to age/wear on it, I do get frustrated with how my batteries aren't as good/connect as they used to be, and just upgrade rather than buy more spare parts that might help (that's a whole 'nother story).

One thing that would be great about being able to more easily link myself up for a call, would be the easier use of phone caption apps.  As it is, I hear generally okay on the phone, except for the rare time I have to call up some company or health business and talk to an operator (who often has an accent!).  Back in the beginning when I finally learned about these, I curiously tried out I think both InnoCaption and captel, and found them neat.  But they're limited depending on how fast your connection is, and if you aren't using bluetooth, you're trying to listen, then quickly look at the screen as needed... lol!  Yes, I was kinda clumsy with it, and stopped using... but it's so hard sometimes, I tend to ask my mom to just call for me because I can't understand them!  I imagine if I used those BT things, I could try the apps again (can't remember which were better).
Speaking of which...  definitely!  Tgayda, Zoom and Google Meet both have a captioning icon or thing in the menu somewhere, just like Youtube's voice-recognition kind!  Why not use?

Thanks again for your thoughts!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Emily C.

LOL.  I will try to answer some of your questions.  Med-El US now offers free 1:1 zoom calls with a Med-El audiologist who can answer some of your questions.

AudioStream is a battery cover with a BTLE receiver built in.  It streams from phones and tablets.  No need to switch to anything just stay in your regular settings (no MT or T).  

AudioLink has a lot of information under its own topic on here.  I am not the one to help with AudioLink as it is not a good fit for me.  

Artone has been the same for years.  The company says they are releasing a new version but has been saying that for a couple of years now.  It is the least expensive on the list of connectivity items for kits so some people purchase it separately.

Upgrade timing is a decision each of us needs to make based on our own needs/preferences.  Waiting is what is right for me.

Insurance covers new rechargeable batteries often so if you decide to wait, maybe check with your Med-El CSR about that.

AudioStream, AudioLink and Artone are all connectivity options.  They are different from each other in many ways.  Which is the best choice for any person varies.  Assistive tech is a very individual thing.  

If your goal is ease and no need for extra items- AudioStream can be used as your everyday battery cover.  It has great audio quality.

Artone and AudioLink are extra items and require being charged up.

Disposable implant batteries last 2 days for me in my Sonnets.  That is an option for long battery life if you want to use those.

You may find our HearPeer GoogleMeets helpful as you can speak with a group of us and hear varied experiences.  If you wish to join just comment in the March GoogleMeet topic.  We are a friendly group.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren do you want to share your connectivity preferences?

Sure. Speaking entirely for myself here  

Rondo 3: AudioLink is the only thing that works. It’s not my favorite so I only use it cabled to my TV. Nothing else. 

Sonnet 2: my go-to is AudioStream though lately I’ve been having issues. When it works it’s wonderful and amazing and when there’s issues it’s frustrating. Same with any tech as Mary Beth has already mentioned. 

I do have backup options should I ever need them with my Sonnet 2s. I have BT headphones, I have the DAI cover and bilateral cables plus adapters to plug into my iPhone, and I have one Artone MAX neckloop. 

I think an earlier post mentioned the MAX battery. I was initially excited but when the dimensions were released I dropped the idea of ever getting them. They’re too big to fit into the AudioStream. 

6 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Tgayda

Tech is great when it works and beyond frustrating when it doesn’t.  Smile

When you have free time, try connecting your Artone to that laptop for a zoom call to a friend.  Be sure BT is off on whichever device the Artone had been connected to last because it will automatically connect back to that device.  So by turning BT off on the previous connected device, it makes connecting to the laptop easier.

Also- have you turned on Live Captions on your laptop?  It’s free and anytime there is audio, a screen will pop up with the Live Captions automatic captioning.  This is a computer accessibility feature and not a zoom feature.  We can alter the size and appearance of the Live Captions to suit our preferences.

Thanks for the tip @MaryBeth. Will check out the live caption app. And yes I did turn off the Bluetooth on my phone when trying to connect so it could be my old laptop. 

@Emily C. @Lauren@Mary Beth

Wouldn't it be nice to just pack a bag and go instead of filling your " personal Item" with ear gadgets, batteries, dryers and cables? I envy people who just throw some clothes in a suitcase. I do like the Max battery for trips. Don't have to worry about batteries deciding to die through security or check ins. 

As for the Zoom meeting, they didn't seem to have the CC option.  I did look maybe I missed it. Great talking to people that can see the view from my standpoint. Thanks for the boost today😊