Future wishes for BTE processor design

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

In the past few weeks several of us have had issues with our Sonnet/Sonnet2 processors and have needed to replace parts.

There are too many parts and connections.

rechargeable battery adapter

rechargeable batteries 

battery cover

rubber seal at the base of the control unit

OR

disposable battery frame

disposable batteries

battery cover 

rubber seal at the base of the control unit

That is 4 pieces and connections.  Over the time I have had my Sonnet processors I have experienced problems with all of the above items - several items more than once.

In addition to the increased potential for a part/connection issue, this is a lot for many older CI users and CI users with visual or dexterity difficulties to handle.  It is also more difficult for young children to handle independently.

Not to mention that the rechargeable batteries could be larger WITHOUT increasing the dimensions of the Sonnet if the space was used more efficiently.

I would like to see a much more user friendly BTE processor design.  Possibly a design that  has a fully encased rechargeable battery & battery cover with the option to use a disposable battery pack if desired.

@MED-EL Moderator this is on my Med-El wish list for a future BTE processor.

Hi @Mary Beth,

Thank you a lot for your feedback! We forwarded your wish list to the product team here at MED-EL. 

Kind regards, 
Marina 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you Marina 

I wish for a smaller processor while retaining the water resistance. The size of the opus 2 with the two disposable batteries was perfect!

• HearPeers Heroes

I like the size and reliability of OPUS2 also @Percy

Being sweat and moisture resistant is my top priority right now.  That's why I hardly use it in the summer.  The cable is particularly affected.  We are waiting for a model that is sweat and moisture resistant.

• Members

@Mary Beth Love the topic.  Here is a list of what I hope to see in future, organized by a future Rondo (OTE) processor, future Sonnet (BTE) or Apps-oriented. 

Take all of them with a grain of salt since I'm still a new user, only 3 months post implant and still learning.

Rondo Sonnet Apps Description
x x x Show current program settings (AI, microphone, wind, etc.) in app and source info
x x x More than 4 pre-programmed slots
x x x Let user have a Customizable program (tweak microphone to Omni, mix ratio, etc) - perhaps enabled by Audi to keep from overwhelming users that don't want to experiment.
x     Replaceable battery (or clearer policy of battery replacement support for out of warranty devices)
For someone that upgrades from R2 or R3 to Sonnet X after 5 years, would be good to get a new Rondo battery by sending device in for service
x x   Better battery life
x     Auto power on when placed on head
x x   Microphone audio back for speaking on phone calls
x x   Built-in Robust, up to date BT (less need for Audiostream, AudioLink, Audio2Ear, etc.; support for Auracast; stronger connections)
x x   Smaller and lighter weight
x x   Remote programmability of devices (low priority)
x x x Earlier warning from app as processor battery gets low
x x x "100/0 mix ratio which provides streamed audio only is what we are missing in AudioStream."
x x   More than 10 characters for program name in app (plenty of space for SSD users, not sure about bimodals)
x x x In AudioKey2, show which scene AI is classifying current environment (speech, speech in noise, noise, music, quiet)
x     Better wireless charging, drying
x x x Be able to access Audio2Ear while streaming (can't check battery life, control volume, change program, etc.)
x     Telecoil Click on R3 needing airplane mode (Wouldn't mind telecoil going away if BT was more robust)
  x x Tracking of battery life in AudioKey2 (there for Rondo 3 but not Sonnet 2)
    x Access to "popup Help" for explanation of each setting in Audiokey2 alongside the pull down
Technically, the manual is accessible from the app so the information is there but harder to find.
x     Better clothes retention clips (widen clip, durable and/or replaceable cord), like my R3 clothes clip but cord is breakable, rigged up a similar clip for my S3.
x x   Microphones that are more sealed (water/dustproof) & don't require filter/cover replacement, cleaning

I don't want my list to look like negatives or criticisms.  As an engineer, I tend to get into the details. I'm pretty happy with how the devices are working now and looking forward to improvements in the future.

(Sorry for the blank space at the bottom of this message - seem to be having an issue of cutting and pasting previous tables into the forum and the space not being removable.  Perhaps it will go away despite being visible in the editor window.)

• HearPeers Heroes

1) I would like the battery cover to not control the power on/off, due to the need to therefore replace several battery covers that were broadly fine, but not tight enough to hold the battery power long enough or not turn it on at all. I'm also very afraid my audiostream will one day be similarly too loose and that is too expensive to replace!!

2) More sustainable packaging for replacements parts. There is a lot of plastic and I would love to see it completely paper (or similar) based.

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

I agree!  And I look forward to having the direct BTLE receiver built into the processor- not a separate expensive accessory but an integral part of the control unit.

• Members

@Mary Beth @Kylie Agree.  Building the BTLE right into the processor would have made the Max battery so much more useful.  I've only used the Max Battery once or twice in 2.5 months because I when I wear my Sonnet 2, it is usually because I want to use Audiostream and of course the Max doesn't work with it or have its own Audiostream equivalent.

I get that integrating batteries with their case then means that a separate battery product code is then needed for each color but it seems like a simpler, smaller, design for the user and more reliable system. 

Also, integrating in "electronic smarts" into the battery case seems like an unusual design decision to start with.  I wonder if that was to get the antenna away from the processor. 

On 3/28/2023 at 8:53 PM, SKOM said:

Thanks Mary Beth and Roy,  Yes I have also been using Live Captions ever since it came out early last year, pretty accurate.

And as you mentioned Totally free ! Works anywhere and everywhere

On 4/12/2023 at 7:57 PM, Tim said:

@Mary Beth Love the topic.  Here is a list of what I hope to see in future, organized by a future Rondo (OTE) processor, future Sonnet (BTE) or Apps-oriented. 

Take all of them with a grain of salt since I'm still a new user, only 3 months post implant and still learning.

Rondo Sonnet Apps Description
x x x Show current program settings (AI, microphone, wind, etc.) in app and source info
x x x More than 4 pre-programmed slots
x x x Let user have a Customizable program (tweak microphone to Omni, mix ratio, etc) - perhaps enabled by Audi to keep from overwhelming users that don't want to experiment.
x     Replaceable battery (or clearer policy of battery replacement support for out of warranty devices)
For someone that upgrades from R2 or R3 to Sonnet X after 5 years, would be good to get a new Rondo battery by sending device in for service
x x   Better battery life
x     Auto power on when placed on head
x x   Microphone audio back for speaking on phone calls
x x   Built-in Robust, up to date BT (less need for Audiostream, AudioLink, Audio2Ear, etc.; support for Auracast; stronger connections)
x x   Smaller and lighter weight
x x   Remote programmability of devices (low priority)
x x x Earlier warning from app as processor battery gets low
x x x "100/0 mix ratio which provides streamed audio only is what we are missing in AudioStream."
x x   More than 10 characters for program name in app (plenty of space for SSD users, not sure about bimodals)
x x x In AudioKey2, show which scene AI is classifying current environment (speech, speech in noise, noise, music, quiet)
x     Better wireless charging, drying
x x x Be able to access Audio2Ear while streaming (can't check battery life, control volume, change program, etc.)
x     Telecoil Click on R3 needing airplane mode (Wouldn't mind telecoil going away if BT was more robust)
  x x Tracking of battery life in AudioKey2 (there for Rondo 3 but not Sonnet 2)
    x Access to "popup Help" for explanation of each setting in Audiokey2 alongside the pull down
Technically, the manual is accessible from the app so the information is there but harder to find.
x     Better clothes retention clips (widen clip, durable and/or replaceable cord), like my R3 clothes clip but cord is breakable, rigged up a similar clip for my S3.
x x   Microphones that are more sealed (water/dustproof) & don't require filter/cover replacement, cleaning

I don't want my list to look like negatives or criticisms.  As an engineer, I tend to get into the details. I'm pretty happy with how the devices are working now and looking forward to improvements in the future.

(Sorry for the blank space at the bottom of this message - seem to be having an issue of cutting and pasting previous tables into the forum and the space not being removable.  Perhaps it will go away despite being visible in the editor window.)

Thanks Tim! Such wonderful detail-pretty much incorporates everything(almost) Hopefully MED-EL engineers/managers are reading /getting these feedmbacks!

22 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie

I agree!  And I look forward to having the direct BTLE receiver built into the processor- not a separate expensive accessory but an integral part of the control unit.

I agree Marybeth and the process need not make the processor bigger or cumbersome—the techs should be able to figure it out!

• HearPeers Heroes

And from a purely aesthetic perspective, some bright base colours would be nice options. I am not a pastel person, so a bright/deep purple or blue or teal would have been nice!

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
8 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie

Have you seen the solid decals on Etsy?

Yep and I've used lots of different decals. Sometimes it was be nice to just have a good colour to go back to without messing with decals though.

I agree with majority of @Tim list.  Especially the 100/0 mix.  Didn’t really notice it too much when Bimodal and may not notice as much when Bilaterally activated in a couple weeks but solely relying on the right CI in the interim really really highlights just how comically silly it is one cannot mute environmental sounds while streaming.  It should be a given.  Last thing I care to hear are cars/wind/etc if I’m out walking the pups or going someplace.  The volume control should be able to have a mute state.  If I want to attempt to stream and listen out for something, I should be able to turn the volume up a little.  First hearing device I’ve seen that doesn’t allow muting at all.

Smaller processor overall with actual BT built in so the AudioStream cover isn’t even needed especially when utilizing a bigger battery.  No reasons why a Sonnet 3 should be behind the other companies in a new model.  Don’t want a huge AudioStream cover if I want a longer battery life.  

The Rondo 4 100% definitely needs built in BT instead of relying on an intermediary device that uses Telecoil.  Or, at least allow the Rondo 4 to have a universal BT pin slot instead of the current exclusive pin configuration created by MedEl.

More control.  Would love to see an equalizer implemented.  Most hearing devices allow this.  Again, unsure the logic why MedEl does not.  I know AB & Cochlear does.  (Common theme for me considering how recent the Sonnet 2 & Rondo 3 are yet how behind the others they are).

More vibrant color scheme for the Sonnets and Rondos.  Think shiny!  I saw some super old man at one of my appt last year with an AB processor and it was a super sharp looking wine red.  I was actually jealous. 

Far as software, better wind suppression is always my go to.  Boston gets insanely windy all the time.  This also goes along with the need to have full control over  environmental sounds as streaming is pointless if all I’m hearing is wind noises…  

That’s it pre-coffee.

Edit:  Updated AudioLink that has IR port for TVs.  

• 3 months later...

Some of this will definitely be repeating what other have said and I can only speak to BTE and accessories.

1. Do away with the modular system in place of a simpler and more space efficient fully integrated rechargeable battery or disposable unit.
  2. Use a roller coaster like rail system where the battery slides into place. This system would be simpler, novel, and durable.
  3. In conjunction with [2], bring back the Opus 2 on/off rotating lever. This would allow the rail battery to lock into place and serve as a more reliable system compared to the one present on both Sonnets.
  4. Implement AuraCast into the integrated BLE co-processor (I assume it'll be one SoC rather than two different processors) code.
  5. Implement an AudioLink with the linked suggestions and improve the structural integrity of the ports with additional plastic frames directly attached to the PCB.
  6. Use USB C for everything!!! Seriously... there is zero technical power or data transfer limitation of USB C that prevents Med-El from using it. It's so much more durable and simpler to use.
  7. Have the coil cable come out in a bottom to top orientation instead of down and looping around. This would reduce the strain on the port and the cable which means less warranty replacements. Less operational costs 🥳
  8. On top of that, make the cable more durable. Nylon braiding would be nice. It would be less flexible but once it's "trained" into place, it's much more likely to stay that way. RF shielding is always a welcome improvement if possible.
  9. Redesign the hook and pin with some sort of clamping system. I would like something more durable than no pin but I also want it to be easy to swap. I have mild cerebral palsy which makes the current design challenging for me to work with.
  10. Adding onto Tim's suggestion of auto powering on when connecting... there should be an automatic power saving mode when the CI is off the implant. This should be detectable based on the impedance of the coil as there should be higher impedance when the coil is placed on the magnet.
  11. Use simpler geometries for parts since that makes sticker making more accessible to everyone. It also makes experimenting with 3D printed designs easier too. An example would be having a smooth dome instead of the magnet bump on the coil cover.
  12. Get creative with the styles and materials! I would love to see a clear plastic one and maybe an aluminum one.
  13. I know Tim commented on waterproof mics... which I'm not sure if they could get the desired fidelity with that. I do think that having hot swappable mic modules would be great. Maybe something similar to hot swappable Cherry MX switches?
  14. Grippier coil housings by default instead of needing stickers would be nice.
  15. Slimmer prescription grade magnets would make wearing both CIs when biking more likely instead of just one.

App suggestions...

1. Show numerical values for the volume.
  2. Use a more visual representation for the sensitivity such as a cone to show the sound stage. The slider feels very arbitrary.
  3. Display a battery life percentage for each processor instead of "Oh, btw, your processor is dead if you didn't already know that because it turned off after beeping for 5 minutes" 😆
  4. I agree that showing which adaptive noise processing is being used and having the option to manually set which ones you want enable would be nice.

Other accessory suggestions...

1. Use small and not so bright indicator lights on the charger and drier. I put painters tape over mine because of how bright it lights the room when I'm sleeping!
  2. Combine the charger and drier into one unit for the OTE and BTE devices. My suggestion: take the Clam (drier), make it rectangular with slightly rounded edges, and put a bank of battery charge ports on the side. Don't forget the USB-C 😀!
  3. Space permitting, put a cable tray with a sliding cover to put the cable into for travel.
  4. I would appreciate a bike helmet that is designed for CIs since I have to slightly sacrifice the security of the helmet so my CIs stay on currently.

I think that covers just about all of my suggestions. If Med-El wants me to CAD up something to showcase my design ideas, I certainly wouldn't mind trying!

Edited by John Schulz
Edited to remove duplicate suggestion

• Members

@John Schulz Interesting ideas.  I wrote my list after only a couple of months of use.  You've got me beat by a couple of decades! 

The news from Med-El about a longer electrode and major improvements to Otoplan seem very good.  They have been clearly working hard and keeping things quiet for FDA purposes. Fingers crossed that we will have similar kinds of good news from the processor/accessory side.

I hope the design of a new model is already frozen because it is coming out soon but perhaps these discussions give ideas for the roadmap of the processors after that.  Having met Med-El engineers, it seems like they have a good team and many were not present when some of the earlier design specs were set.  (Ex. S2 Max battery without any option for Audiostream-good idea on paper but not of interest to many users without audiolink.) I will be curious to see how many of the things mentioned in the thread show up in the next generation.  (No - they did not show any new processors on the tour, I'm as in the dark as everyone else!)

Hoping that Med-El's future cadence of releases is about 3.5 or 4 years.  I qualify for my 5 year replacement/upgrade in January 2028. Fingers crossed for jumping to a Rondo 5 by that time.  🙂

Perhaps the discussions and brainstorming help trigger additional ideas and I bet they have a few ideas not even mentioned so far! 

We all want Med-El to keep making even products and succeed long-term since every CI wearer is more committed to their manufacturer than an employee.

I hear that in the CI Facebook group, people that are anything less than glowingly positive might get shouted down for potentially scaring away future implantees. I really appreciate that this community can have thoughtful, constructive, and respectful discussions! 

On 8/1/2023 at 5:36 PM, Tim said:

I hear that in the CI Facebook group, people that are anything less than glowingly positive might get shouted down for potentially scaring away future implantees. I really appreciate that this community can have thoughtful, constructive, and respectful discussions! 

Yes, I'm really glad to have the opportunity to provide feedback! I do admire the work of all the engineers in making the devices so backwards compatible and having a really solid foundation to the audio quality and processing. I am happy that I didn't feel compelled to add feedback regarding sound since I think it's really amazing how well they've gotten it so far! I have no expectations for improvement in that area for a while. Maybe the use of machine learning similar to NVidia's RTX Voice three/four generations down the line? Remains to be seen. I am rooting for Med-El to not only remain competitive but thrive and help their engineers push the envelope!