September 2017 activations

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

We have at least three members who are getting activated in September.  I thought it might be fun to have a dedicated topic where they can share their experiences.  Wishing you all the best!

• HearPeers Heroes

Or you can try your own corner like Kara of Canada did - now we have a collection of our collective thoughts during her walk up to the stars....:D ;)

• 2 weeks later...

September 25, 2017... activation day. Setup the 12 electrodes to comfy level. Then turn it on to hear voices. This was very good. I was able to distinguish voices that I knew, my wife and audiologist not robotic or “mickey mouse” but felt like they were in a tincan. Voices I did not know were robotic. Audiologist went over all the pieces I get with the CI... whoa... Next week she shows me how to use the Roger Pen.  We were there for 2 hours going over everything. So off we go... turned on the radio to try music. The songs I knew were distinguishable, the songs I did not know were just noise. For the next week, I just increase the volume using the 4 set programs and then next week I go through a mapping. It was fantastic to hear high pitch sounds in that ear. My voice creates a lot of loud feedback which could be caused by the mic being closer to the noise source and the ear and brain are still adjusting. Well keep monitoring this all week.

• HearPeers Heroes

Terrific start!  Enjoy learning to listen with your new CI!

I don't know how long it's been for you but for me it's been probably 3 years since I at all distinguish a song ..(my husband keeps forgetting that and in a restaurant) he'll say"wow haven't heard that oldie in a while  and I'd say there's music playing ?? He'd keep forgetting I can't even hear if music is playing everything sounds just like noise in a restaurant to me !:)as well as the car radio which I can't even tolerate it being on ..just loud awful noise ..

im getting nervous about Friday ..hoping the CI will work ok ..I know the surgeon tested it and said it did I'll just feel better knowing it myself :)

can you hear the TV ??

• HearPeers Heroes

Just wait until you realize how many lyrics you have been singing incorrectly! Smile

• HearPeers Heroes

Jane,

Try to keep in mind that there is a huge range of "successful" activations.  Many, many of us started without understanding speech at activation and are awesome CI users now.  Enjoy the start of your listening journey.

Hi Mary Beth thanks for reminding me that I'll actually just be glad I can hear sound in that ear at this point :)

• HearPeers Heroes

I hoped for 12 different sounding beeps.  Smile.  Got that and it has been a wonderful journey.

i don't use close caption... tried it got tiresome... i can hear what they say... like i said... if i know the actor i can recognized the voice.. if not.. robotic

I am excited for my activation this Friday at 10:00 am. Can't wait to see what it's like when it gets turned on. I'll post an update!

• HearPeers Heroes

Good luck Terry.  It will be an awesome journey.  Let us know how it goes on Friday.