AudioStream with Roku?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator I recently read about how Roku audio can be streamed to BT devices through a phone on the same Wi-Fi by using the Roku app. The audio actually comes through the phone and then to the BT device.

Since the audio comes from phone to BT device, will this work with AudioStream?  If so, it will open up a lot of possibilities for people to stream TV.

And as long as private listening is not selected in the Roku app, will this enable streaming to AudioStream while others continue to hear the TV through the TV speakers?  If yes, this will be wonderful.

I have Roku but I do not have AudioStream covers to test it out.

This could be very exciting for AudioStream users!

IMG_3582.jpeg

IMG_3583.jpeg

IMG_3584.jpeg

@Mary Beth, thank you for tagging us and sharing this information. We are checking in with the right team here at Headquarters regarding this, and will follow-up as soon as possible. 

Kind regards,

Alicia 

@Mary Beththank you for your patience. This should work for AudioStream if the mobile phone that is being used is compatible with AudioStream. 

Kind regards,

Alicia 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

Wr have a Roku stick we use when traveling but I do not have AudioStream.  I had borrowed AudioStream covers from friends twice for trials and testing things out but returned them so I can not test this out unfortunately.

@Mary Beth I’ll see if there’s a good deal on them as I really want to try this. Audio is better with Sonnet 2 so if this works this would be amazing. 

Hoping any ol’ Roku stick will work, will try to get the latest and greatest though. 

@Mary Beth I normally use Apple TV and it would be awesome if Apple would add this to the TV device too. One can only dream/wish. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

At home we have one TV connected to AppleTV and one TV connected to Roku.  When we travel we use a small Roku stick so we can access our streaming services without needing to enter our acct info on various TVs. 

• Members

I don't have Roku either but will be curious to see people's experiences with it.

🤯 it works!

Picked up a Roku after work and testing it now. This is fantastic. 

It’s a little weird since it first has to all be connected. I found setup a little clunky, but maybe that’s because I didn’t have a Roku before today. 

Instructions shared by Mary Beth were correct and after getting all set up in the app you need to make sure your AudioStream(s) are connected to your phone. Even weirder is you control the streaming volume from your phone. I have an iPhone so it’s just the buttons on the left side of my device. 

Currently listening to a beautiful narration by Sir David Attenborough on Netflix. 

• Like 2

First lesson learned. Don’t use the physical remote to pause steaming when listening via AudioStream BTLE. It dropped connection and took some doing to get it re-connected. Paused it from the app to test and didn’t lose connection. 

Initial reaction is signal seems stronger than with the AudioLink. It was a little hiccup-y at first but so far it’s more stable. No crackling. Just Sir Attenborough educating me on locusts (right now). 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lauren

Definitely control everything through the Roku app.  

1) Since the audio streaming is coming from the phone app, are you able to stream audio from a distance away from the TV as long as you have the phone with you?

2) Is the TV speaker still working while you do this so others can hear the TV or is it only for private listening?

I was hoping the audio quality would be good.  That’s great news.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

So cool that this works for streaming from the Roku app.  Will that be added to the list of compatible streaming devices like the Amazon fire TV cube so users know it is an option?

It would be really cool to see a new Med-El AudioStream video showing users streaming from phone, tablet and TV (amazon fire TV cube and now Roku through the Roku app).  Streaming to 2 CIs and also streaming bimodally with compatible HA & android phone.  It seems that AudioStream now has way more possibilities and users will benefit from being updated.  Just a suggestion.

IMG_3650.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

Link to support regarding Roku private listening.  When it mentions BT headphones using the Roku app, that also applies to using AudioStream with the Roku app on a AudioStream compatible phone.

https://support.roku.com/article/217479488

• HearPeers Heroes

It does seem that the Roku app private listening does not have an option to also use the TV speakers at the same time.

But instead of private listening for only 1 person, 4 people can use that feature on 4 phone apps simultaneously (must be on the same Wi-Fi as the Roku).  So I guess it’s more like private listening plus small group listening in a way.

IMG_3651.jpeg

4 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

So cool that this works for streaming from the Roku app.  Will that be added to the list of compatible streaming devices like the Amazon fire TV cube so users know it is an option?

It would be really cool to see a new Med-El AudioStream video showing users streaming from phone, tablet and TV (amazon fire TV cube and now Roku through the Roku app).  Streaming to 2 CIs and also streaming bimodally with compatible HA & android phone.  It seems that AudioStream now has way more possibilities and users will benefit from being updated.  Just a suggestion.

IMG_3650.jpeg

@Mary Beth, thank you for your suggestion. We will forward this to the right team here at headquarters. 

Kind regards,
Alicia 

@Mary Beth

I’ll have to test some stuff to learn more of the functionality. I think you’re right about the TV speakers not working  I didn’t get an echo when the TV wasn’t muted and the AudioStreams in Private Listening wasn’t giving me 100/0 since they aren’t designed for that  and no magic button to press to shut the mics off.

I was sitting in the same chair I normally do when streaming with the AudioLink and the connection was much better. I could fully recline back and I didn’t get the usual crackling sound from being almost out of streaming range. So, while I didn’t get up and walk around (I’ll try that today) the range is at a minimum a few feet better than AudioLink. No head shadow issues either. 

Cool! I shopped a bit and found a few pictured remotes that did not have that same "keyboard" but still shopping. I may have to jet off to california again next week so may not try for months

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dianna

That screenshot is of the app open on a phone- not the remote.  I hope things go well.