New to HearsPeers

Dorothy

I have just been scheduled to have surgery on 11/13 if the hospital approves a Sonnet Hybrid implant.  I've not seen too much about the Hybrid, so any advice, encouragement, comments would surely help to calm my nerves!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sherri

I tagged my friend Sherri who has Sonnet EAS processors.  Wishing you the best!

• HearPeers Heroes

My understanding is that the inner parts of the implants are always the same for everyone and the difference is in the processor , so why are you referring to the sonnet here ??

Thank you for your reply.  Please know that I am an overwhelmed "newbie" to all of this, that is why I'm here asking for advice, etc.  I only know what I was told, and that is that I will be getting a Sonnet EAS  which I understand is a hybrid.  That is why I referred to the Sonnet.

• HearPeers Heroes

@stream2525

The internal implants are not always the same.  I have two different versions just based on when the Synchrony implant was released by Med-El in the USA.  Internally, we also have many different electrode array options.  I have two different electrode arrays as well.  Each one was chosen to best match my Left and Right cochleas.

Externally for EAS (hybrid) processors- Med El has the Sonnet EAS.

Externally for CI processors- Med El has the Rondo 2, Sonnet, Rondo and Opus 2 processors.  (Rondo 2 will be released in some countries in January.  The Sonnet, Rondo and Opus 2 have already been in use.)

I may be misunderstanding your question.  It is true that the internal Synchrony can be used with the Sonnet EAS, Sonnet CI, Rondo 2, Rondo and Opus 2 processors.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dorothy

It is very overwhelming at first for all of us.  Feel free to ask as many questions as you want.  We all remember how overwhelmed we felt at first.

You are correct.  The Sonnet EAS is a hybrid (electric/acoustic) processor that allows people to continue to benefit from low frequency residual hearing.  There is also a Sonnet (CI only model) for those who do not have residual low frequency hearing (like me).  And to just make it a bit more confusing.......smile......the Sonnet EAS model can be set to function with electric sound only by changing its earhook and turning off the acoustic component.  

Hi Dorothy! congratulations on your surgery date. I would love to share my experience with you and answer any questions I can.

I was actually part of the clinical trial for the EAS, which is Med-El’s name for their hybrid. My first implant was 7 years ago and now I am bilateral EAS. I have been given back a life I thought I would never be a part of again! 

I was terrified when I began this journey as I knew no one with my type of hearing loss, and I didn’t know about these wonderful groups. 

I have a very special friend that encouraged me to follow this path that had opened before me even though I was afraid. So I trusted this open door was right and I jumped in and “Did it Afraid”!

Today I can tell you it was the best decision I have ever made. And today all my fear has been replaced with such gratitude and joy for the life, sounds, conversations and opportunities this amazing technology has given back to me. 

It is a journey but one well worth traveling. 

I would be happy to share more specifics with you as well.

Best Wishes Dorothy

• Like 3

my name is steve brinkman and I have just been told that I qualify for a CI.  I am having a hard time deciding if I want to have the implants or not.  did anyone else have this concern or worry?

3 hours ago, Sherri said:

Hi Dorothy! congratulations on your surgery date. I would love to share my experience with you and answer any questions I can.

I was actually part of the clinical trial for the EAS, which is Med-El’s name for their hybrid. My first implant was 7 years ago and now I am bilateral EAS. I have been given back a life I thought I would never be a part of again! 

I was terrified when I began this journey as I knew no one with my type of hearing loss, and I didn’t know about these wonderful groups. 

I have a very special friend that encouraged me to follow this path that had opened before me even though I was afraid. So I trusted this open door was right and I jumped in and “Did it Afraid”!

Today I can tell you it was the best decision I have ever made. And today all my fear has been replaced with such gratitude and joy for the life, sounds, conversations and opportunities this amazing technology has given back to me. 

It is a journey but one well worth traveling. 

I would be happy to share more specifics with you as well.

Best Wishes Dorothy

• HearPeers Heroes
4 hours ago, stream2525 said:

My understanding is that the inner parts of the implants are always the same for everyone and the difference is in the processor , so why are you referring to the sonnet here ??

We are referring to the Sonnet because it has two options. There is the standard Sonnet and the Sonnet EAS. Which has the low frequencies like a HA and those with residual hearing can benefit from it. 

• HearPeers Heroes

HI @Steve Brinkman  welcome to the group. We all have these worries or anxieties before we get an implant. But for most of us it is the only option for possible better hearing. It has greatly improved my life. In many ways. 

Hi Steve,  I've worn hearing aids for the last 12 years.  Two different kinds and upgrades, but they can't be tweeked any more.  When I could no longer hear smoke alarms, microwave oven, etc. I was told there wasn't anything more hearing aids could do for me.  That rather took the decision out of my hands.  I'm nervous, but looking forward to being able to hear!  Hope all goes well for you!

• HearPeers Heroes

I wore hearing aids.  Then I wore only one hearing aid because my right ear was completely deaf.  Then my left ear couldn’t benefit from any hearing aid any longer and that’s when my CI journey started.

I had hearing aids for about 40 years that did nothing to help so I didn’t bother to wear them. Every time I got a new set I hoped they would be the ones. They were never the ones and joined the rest in the drawer. My hearing got worse and worse until until I had to face up to the fact I was withdrawing and missing so much that the decision to get implanted really wasn’t that hard. What a new lease on life!

• Like 2

I''m still waiting to hear if the hospital has approved my Med-El implant so I can have my scheduled surgery and start on my new "adventure".  I have jumped through all of the hoops and have all of my ducks in a row, so now I can only wait and pray for their decision.  It doesn't seem right to me that the hospital and not the doctor decides, but I guess money talks louder than need.

• HearPeers Heroes

After having all of my appointments and tests at my CI center, the surgery was scheduled and they submitted the necessary info to my insurance company for pre-approval.  Fortunately for me, that process went smoothly.  I hope you are as fortunate so you can get started on your own CI journey.  Keep us posted.  We are rooting for you.

I got word today that my surgery scheduled for 11/13 has been cancelled.  Memorial Hermann is still in the "vetting process" for MedEl CI.  So, I am on hold until the powers that be decide it's OK to go ahead.  I'm extremely disappointed and I'm trying hard to let go, it is totally out of my control!

• HearPeers Heroes

Why did they approve hybrid implant? Do you still hear low tones ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dorothy

What does that mean....still in the vetting process?  The CI surgeons at that hospital can not implant Med El CIs yet?

I am sorry for the delay in your much anticipated start of your CI journey.