New to HearsPeers

Dorothy

Stream 2525

Yes, I still have low tones, that's why a hybrid was chosen for me

Yes, Mary Beth, the CI surgeons did implant MedEl CIs in the past.  It's just that the hospital is reviewing all of their suppliers at this time.  I'm not the only CI patient that has been put on hold as they have been vetting for over 3 months now.  My surgeon and the MedEl rep are doing what they can from their end to get the hospital to comply.  The answer that they are getting is "soon".  Here's hoping that "soon" is sooner than later!

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry to hear this @Dorothy I understand how the wait is hard. I waited 15 months for my surgery. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Sorry to hear this @Dorothy I understand how the wait is hard. I waited 15 months for my surgery. 

Kara,  I'm so sorry to hear that you had to wait that long for you CI, that's horrible!  Here's hoping my wait won't come close to yours!

• HearPeers Heroes

Well the wait is on! I’m on the list for the second implant. It has been 15 months again. This time he process is different. On Canada well Ontario to be more specific. The government covered health care only covers one implant for adults. So I appealed to the hospital and they agreed to cover it. Bit the list is so long and they only do 5-10 of this type a year. I’m still hopeful and waiting to hear if I’m on the list for surgery next year. 

Kara,

Sometimes being vocal works and I'm happy for you that it did!  I, too, hope you make that list and that your wait won't be too long!

Wishing you the best of luck....

Dorothy

• HearPeers Heroes

Yes and I can’t complain! My implant has completely changed my life. And Med El is a fantastic company. They truly care about their recipients and will continue to keep up with the secrecy life of inventions!! I hope your hospital gets it right soon! @Dorothy

Thanks, Kara,  I've decided that life has become one giant mystery!  Let's hope the ending is happy!

• 7 months later...

Hello again! I just found out yesterday afternoon that I am finally going to have surgery for my implant.  I was expecting to hear that would take about 5 weeks to be put on the surgical schedule, but I will have surgery on Tuesday, July 3rd!  Not much time to get worried!  Please send any and all good thoughts my way!

I'm back, and you're not going to believe this....My surgery scheduled for the 3rd has been cancelled!  I just found out that the implant did not arrive, so I've been rescheduled for Tuesday the 10th.  Here's hoping that everything will go without a hitch next week!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dorothy I am so sorry that happened!  Your CI journey has had a few bumps at the start, but believe me....it is worth it.  Hang in there and keep us posted.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dorothy

No worries! You were to enjoy 4th of July without bandages! The 10th is just around the corner ?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dorothy

No worries! You were to enjoy 4th of July without bandages! The 10th is just around the corner ?

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel knows what she’s talking about.  She has been patiently waiting for August for a long time now.  Smile.  

It’s finally possible to say NEXT MONTH Jewel!

• Like 2

I also had to wait quite a while to get mine @Dorothy. I was supposed to have my surgery in December 2007 and at the end I decided to postpone it until the implant I wanted was available. I ended having my surgery last 4th May. This without counting the time I did my research and taking private insurance. 1.5 years more. Smile :)

• 1 month later...

Hello again,

I finally had my implant surgery on the 10th of July!  All went well with a few surprises.  I was expecting to have some discomfort, but happily all I needed to take was some Extra Strength Tylenol, and only for a few days.  The surprises were the amount, loudness and continual noise in my head!  That lasted for about 2 weeks and gradually became a whisper.  The other surprise was the lack of equilibrium, that was totally unexpected!  Thankfully it too only lasted for about 2 weeks.

The audiologist activated my implant (sonnet eas) last week and I was amazed at all of the new sounds I could hear!  I was able to show my husband which smoke detector was beeping, I don't know when the last time I heard one of those!  I've been working hard at home learning to hear again and my audiologist gave me a web site to try that is wonderful. It is Angel Sound and I highly recommend it!  I will see her again next week and hopefully the pressure in my ear will be at a level that will allow her to make an ear mold for me.  In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out all of the Med-El accessories that I got and trying not to get too frustrated with the Roger Pen!

All in all, I am so excited to be hearing, even at this limited level, it is above and beyond any of my expectations and I know it will only get better!

Hello again,

I finally had my implant surgery on the 10th of July!  All went well with a few surprises.  I was expecting to have some discomfort, but happily all I needed to take was some Extra Strength Tylenol, and only for a few days.  The surprises were the amount, loudness and continual noise in my head!  That lasted for about 2 weeks and gradually became a whisper.  The other surprise was the lack of equilibrium, that was totally unexpected!  Thankfully it too only lasted for about 2 weeks.

The audiologist activated my implant (sonnet eas) last week and I was amazed at all of the new sounds I could hear!  I was able to show my husband which smoke detector was beeping, I don't know when the last time I heard one of those!  I've been working hard at home learning to hear again and my audiologist gave me a web site to try that is wonderful. It is Angel Sound and I highly recommend it!  I will see her again next week and hopefully the pressure in my ear will be at a level that will allow her to make an ear mold for me.  In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out all of the Med-El accessories that I got and trying not to get too frustrated with the Roger Pen!

All in all, I am so excited to be hearing, even at this limited level, it is above and beyond any of my expectations and I know it will only get better!

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Dorothy!  Congratulations on your surgery, recovery and activation!  It sounds like you are off to a great start!

• HearPeers Heroes

Happy for you @Dorothy.

Your journey is off to a wonderful start. Please keep us posted about your progress.