Rondo 3 and Audiostream

Timfully

• HearPeers Heroes

@Timfully

AudioStream is a battery cover for Sonnet/Sonnet2 that has a built in BTLE receiver for direct streaming.  So the Rondo processors will never use AudioStream.  But users are hoping for BTLE + AuraCast built in receivers for the next Rondo and the next BTE processor.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Timfully

Med-El does not release information before devices are approved and being released somewhere so until that happens everything is only a guess.  Many people are hoping for a new Med-El processor release in 2024.

45 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Timfully

Med-El does not release information before devices are approved and being released somewhere so until that happens everything is only a guess.  Many people are hoping for a new Med-El processor release in 2024.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Bastian

Thank you for sharing!  This will bring Rondo 3 connectivity way forward!!!

translated to English 

IMG_5337.jpeg

• Members

Wow. That could be better than an updated Audiolink.  That will make it a lot easier to wait 4 years until I'm eligible for a processor upgrade.

Hopes:

• Doesn't have a big impact on battery life for the Rondo (currently get 17 or 18 hours)
  • Connection is strong and is maintained at least as well as Audiostream on the Sonnet 2
  • Doesn't have a big impact on rain resistance since it will be pointed down.  (Immersion is likely to be negatively impacted.)
  • Doesn't add enough weight to warrant increasing magnet strength on the processor.
  • Reasonably priced
  • Medical flexible savings account eligible in the US.

Dreams (seem very unlikely):

• Has a microphone or uses the microphones on the R3 for talking on the phone. 
  • Bluetooth LE LE Audio to enable Auracast and Windows connections.

It's likely BLEA (or capable). The market is flooded with BLEA capable chips that are significantly more efficient than LE ones from threeyears ago.

Also, why would they bring up TV connectivity if it wasn't BLEA? I'm only aware of some Fire TVs supporting ASHA while Samsung is officially rolling out updates to many of their 2023 TVs to support BLEA. Plus, the audiolink can already do TV streaming via AUX.

Maybe they mean TV from phone only?

• HearPeers Heroes

@John Schulz

Maybe TV is the same as it is for the Sonnet/Sonnet2 AudioStream?  Fire TV plus ROKU private listening which uses its app to send audio for the TV via a phone.

@Tim

FSA would be interesting.  Sonnet/Sonnet2 AudioStream is not covered by insurance.  I have not heard of anyone using their FSA to purchase it.  It is expensive- especially for bilateral users who require two.

Previously Med-El had informed us if we left the telecoil adapter in Rondo 3 all the time and just moved through programs (some with telecoil turned off) that would be fine but would reduce its water resistance.  Maybe the same applies to the AudioStream?

• Members

I'll need to make a change for the Rondeo charging cradle for the Rondo 3 to accommodate the option of leaving this attached all the time. 

The quick fix for existing Rondeo users might be just a dremel for cutting a notch in the cross bar. 

I never bothered worrying about the telecoil adapter because of the "ticking" problem.  Sure hope they are able to avoid that with this adapter.

Link for current downloadable, 3D printable Rondeo file.

Link for @John Schulz's  Ebay listing for people that don't want to use or have access to a 3D printer.  (Also a nice way to help a MedEl wearing college student!  I can say this because I get no financial compensation for it, I'm letting him be the exclusive seller as my way of helping out.)

Link for Hearpeers Forum topic for Rondeo

If I needed to replace one/both AudioStream I’d simply buy it on the Med-El US Webshop using my FSA card. US Healthcare can be a mess but as long as CI (or even HA) is listed in plan documents as permissible expenses it’s fine. I only had a problem once due to the total amount of the purchase but it was just a short call with a first line rep to justify and substantiate the purchase. The person cleared the charge while I was still on the phone with them. 

• Like 2

Unsure why folks would leave this plugged in if they’re not doing so with the Telecoil adapter nor am I sure it’s recommended to do so when charging?  Is this common for folks to do? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@John F

I could see me keeping the AudioStream attached to Rondo 3 all day as I stream on and off throughout the day.  Just like using the AudioStream battery cover on Sonnet/Sonnet2 as a daily use cover.

We will need to wait until Med-El releases more information about their recommendations regarding battery charging.  I am excited that Rondo 3 users will have this option.  

Oh I agree it’d be fine to use all day.  But for charging am confused why this would remain attached since I didn’t think it was advisable to leave the current Telecoil adapter attached while charging.  Logic would follow the same dealio as the Telecoil adapter.  But since I don’t use the current adapter unsure if it’s able to remain connected while charging.  :)

• HearPeers Heroes

It is not yet showing up in the FCC list so the US is still awaiting regulatory approval.

@John F if this works for phone connections the way BT works in hearing aids I would want to have it plugged in all the time. That way when I turn my Rondo3 on it is connected to my phone. 

On 1/3/2024 at 1:59 AM, Mary Beth said:

@Bastian

Thank you for sharing!  This will bring Rondo 3 connectivity way forward!!!

translated to English 

IMG_5337.jpeg

That's cool news. I wonder how will they make the mix ratio with this one. Noise cancelling would be cool. As a bilateral Rondo 3 user I need to buy two AudioStreams, right?

Secondly, please please some reasonable pricing with this one @MED-EL Moderator insurance doesn't cover this type of accessories in many countries. Kinda harsh to pay loads for such small and simple device.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Evren

I am curious about the mixing options with the Rondo 3 AudioStream as well.

The Rondo 3 telecoil adapter mixes at 50/50 BUT our audiologists can change that in one or more program slots if we wish so it can mix at 100/0 (telecoil only).  I wonder if the Rondo 3 AudioStream will have the same mixing potential.

On 1/8/2024 at 9:28 AM, Evren said:

That's cool news. I wonder how will they make the mix ratio with this one. Noise cancelling would be cool. As a bilateral Rondo 3 user I need to buy two AudioStreams, right?

Secondly, please please some reasonable pricing with this one @MED-EL Moderator insurance doesn't cover this type of accessories in many countries. Kinda harsh to pay loads for such small and simple device.

@Evren thank you for your feedback. While the AudioStream Adapter for RONDO 3 is not yet available, if you are interested in learning more about the latest availability and pricing/reimbursement updates in your country, please get in touch with your local MED-EL team, as they will gladly share the information with you.

Kind Regards 

• 1 month later...

I have Roku and could easily use the app to control the tv and connect to my sonnet 2 with audiostream.  Can even control volume on the cellphone, something I could not do with the separate Roku handheld.

Now I would like to connect to my HA as a second headphone.  Is this possible? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@jcech344

This seems possible.

Roku app just lets us access the audio from our phone so if our phone can dual stream to two compatible hearing devices, we should hear the ROKU audio in both.  Dual audio is an android phone feature and works with some hearing aid models along with AudioStream.  Med-El has info on compatible HAs on their website.

https://www.medel.com/en-us/hearing-solutions/accessories/connectivity/audiostream#compatibility

But I also see under Roku Private Listening that it can send to up to 4 mobile devices simultaneously.  So a work around would be to set up the HA with ROKU app on a tablet while the AudioStream is set up on a phone.

https://support.roku.com/article/217478308

IMG_5700.jpeg

IMG_5702.jpeg

IMG_5701.png

I have been able to connect to Roku with both Audiostream (Sonnet 2) and AudioLink (Rondo 3).  With AS, I get a good connection controllable with the volume key on my phone (S23). It is exclusively directed through my CI.  With AL, I also get a good connection, but also to the phone speakers.  I don't see a way to turn that off.

My HAid is a Widex Beyond and need to use a streamer to connect calls and BT sources to my HA.  That too will connect very nicely with Roku when I select headphones.  However when I try both the Widex streamer and either AS or AL there is a conflict and neither will come through.  Disconnecting one or the other directs the stream to the one left on.

I also have Samsung TVs and 2 have BT capabilities.  Would love to see a controller app like Roku for them.  Is one available?  I couldn't find it.