Best tips from other CI users

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Some of the best tips I have received came from other CI users.

using 357 silver oxide disposable batteries in waterwear for 12 hours of use instead of the LR44 for only 4-5 hours of use

using eargear Rondo covers with tether and clip with waterwear covers for securing the processors to me

using nammucap over waterwear and eargear covers in the ocean

finding excellent decals for the Sonnet/Sonnet2- one Etsy craftswoman even lets us use our own pictures for the decals

What have been your favorite tips learned from other CI users?

Let’s tag some members to get started.

@Joan

@Kylie 

@Lauren 

@Roy

@Sahib

• Like 2

Purchasing a two-port portable power pack (I’m bilateral) to always have charging ability in the event of power outage and when traveling 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

If the processor stops working properly, start replacing parts one at a time to find the problem area. Batteries first! Then the processor parts... Starting with the battery cover. 

• Like 2

Streaming setup in the car to hear music, gps etc. 

• Like 2

When audio stream does not work or is glitching, I turn off my Bluetooth and turn back on. Close and reopen Spotify. And if needed, take off battery cover and put back on. 

Also making sure that my phone is in close enough distance. 

• Like 2

• Members

Three tips that make my life with a CI easier:

1. Using rubber bands or a cradle to keep the Rondo 3 in place for charging.  (Discussed in other threads.)
  2. Purchased inexpensive hearing aid retention attachment & sewing clothes clip to rig up something similar to my Rondo 3 clothes clip for my Sonnet 2.  Because of being an absent-minded professor, I use the Med-El clothes clip on my Rondo 3 100% of the time and my rigged up clothes clip about 95% of the time on my Sonnet 2. 
  3. Keep all my charging & dryer gear on a food tray to keep it all visible & organized as well as protect it from "spreading" or getting lost.

• Like 3

On 3/14/2024 at 5:20 AM, Mary Beth said:

using 357 silver oxide disposable batteries in waterwear for 12 hours of use instead of the LR44 for only 4-5 hours of use

using eargear Rondo covers with tether and clip with waterwear covers for securing the processors to me

finding excellent decals for the Sonnet/Sonnet2- one Etsy craftswoman even lets us use our own pictures for the decals

@Joan

@Kylie 

@Lauren 

@Roy

@Sahib

@Mary Beth For the 357 silver oxide disposable batteries, where do you purchase yours from? I have been able to find the LR44 batteries on Amazon as a 50 pack for less than $10. But I do not see the same for the 357 silver oxide. I haven't done an internet deep dive yet, but I thought I'd ask first. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Sahib

The 357 silver oxide batteries cost more than the lr44 but provide me with three times the battery life so it is a better value for me.  And long beach days do not work with the lr44 short battery life of 4-5 hours.

I have purchased them online from a link through the Walmart webpage and through office supply.  I wait until they are on sale and then purchase a lot.

@Sahib The amount of time they can be used for is often used at the comparison but the end point voltage is equally important. The LR44 is a zinc magnanese battery with an end point voltage around 1 volt and a capacity of around 120mAh. The 357 is a silver oxide battery with an end point voltage of 1.2 volts and a capacity of 150-200mAh. With an LR44 the amount of power you get over usage drops much more significantly which could cause reduced performance and added strain on the device if it is not designed for that drop off.

15 minutes ago, Anthony Canada said:

@Sahib The amount of time they can be used for is often used at the comparison but the end point voltage is equally important. The LR44 is a zinc magnanese battery with an end point voltage around 1 volt and a capacity of around 120mAh. The 357 is a silver oxide battery with an end point voltage of 1.2 volts and a capacity of 150-200mAh. With an LR44 the amount of power you get over usage drops much more significantly which could cause reduced performance and added strain on the device if it is not designed for that drop off.

@Anthony Canada how do we tell which devices are suitable for the battery?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/17/2024 at 10:30 AM, Anthony Canada said:

Most devices are going to specify what they want. I don't have a Sonnet 2 manual but Medel has this page on it.

https://blog.medel.com/technology/battery-options-for-sonnet-2/

@Anthony CanadaThank you! That article was incredibly helpful :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/14/2024 at 8:20 AM, Mary Beth said:

@Joan

@Kylie 

@Lauren 

@Roy

@Sahib

What is an eargear cover? I maybe missed this one but I'll be stocked on the rest for my trip to Cancun next week! Great tips!

Thanks, Mary Beth! Would there be any benefit to wear Eargears over water wear? 

• HearPeers Heroes

I wear eargear covers with tether and clip over waterwear because it secures the Rondos to me in case they get knocked off.  They sink like a stone. @SarahDunlap

Wear a hat when working in a confined place or in the garden. It's so easy for an obstruction to knock off a processor. Twice I have had to search when a small branch lifted off a processor. Also good when working with something creating dust. 

Create a cycle for all rechargeable batteries. Do not store them away. 

1 hour ago, Mary Beth said:

I wear eargear covers with tether and clip over waterwear because it secures the Rondos to me in case they get knocked off.  They sink like a stone. @SarahDunlap

Ah! Good call! I bet they do!!! Thanks!