Out. Now.

MED-EL Moderator

• HearPeers Heroes

It looks great!!!!  Thank you @MED-EL Moderatorfor built in direct streaming and for a way to get mixing ratios.  

Are the mixing ratios for Sonnet 3 similar to Rondo 3 in that our audiologists set them in programs and we can get 100/0 streamed audio only if we desire that?

Is it still possible to set an omni mic direction for a program if desired?

I love that the telecoil is in the AudioLink XT (especially for Rondo 3 users).  Does that mean that Sonnet 3 does not have a built in telecoil?

Are there any pictures of the AudioLink XT FM adapter?  Really awesome feature for children using Roger Systems in school.

I can’t wait for Sonnet 3 and AudioLink XT to be available in the US.  

Thank you Med-El for listening to our wishes.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie Are you as excited as I am to upgrade to Sonnet 3?  Wonder who will offer it first- Australia or the US?  Maybe we will upgrade at the same time.

12 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

It looks great!!!!  Thank you @MED-EL Moderatorfor built on direct streaming and for a way to get mixing ratios.  

Are the mixing ratios for Sonnet 3 similar to Rondo 3 in that our audiologists set them in programs and we can get 100/0 streamed audio only if we desire that?

Is it still possible to set an omni mic direction for a program if desired?

I love that the telecoil is in the AudioLink XT (especially for Rondo 3 users).  Does that mean that Sonnet 3 does not have a built in telecoil?

Are there any pictures of the AudioLink XT FM adapter?  Really awesome feature for children using Roger Systems in school.

I can’t wait for Sonnet 3 and AudioLink XT to be available in the US.  

Thank you Med-El for listening to our wishes.

Hi Mary Beth, thanks a lot for your questions!

To your questiosn:

1) Mixing ration & omni mic direction => Both, SONNET 3 and RONDO 3 are using AMS 3.0 and have microphone directionality available in omni, natural and adaptive mode. We will check with product experts on the detail about the programs and come back with you asap. 

2) Telecoil => You're right, SONNET 3 has no integrated telecoil. 

3) We currently don't have any images of the AudioLink XT FM adapter that we can share. 

We are as exited as you are 🙂 

Kind regards, Barbara 

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm glad we didn't have to wait for long for the Sonnet 3. It looks like it is a fantastic upgrade. 

Can you please give the dimensions and weight for Sonnets 1, 2  and 3 @MED-EL Moderator?

2 minutes ago, John Schulz said:

@MED-EL Moderator Will the firmware be able to support LE Audio down the line?

Hi @John Schulz, thanks for your question. 

SONNET 3 offers direct wireless streaming with Android and Apple devices via Bluetooth LE. It supports the streaming protocols MFI and ASHA. 
On our website you can also find further information: MED-EL SONNET 3 Cochlear Implant Audio Processor (medel.com) 

Kind regards, Barbara 

5 minutes ago, MED-EL Moderator said:

Hi @John Schulz, thanks for your question. 

SONNET 3 offers direct wireless streaming with Android and Apple devices via Bluetooth LE. It supports the streaming protocols MFI and ASHA. 
On our website you can also find further information: MED-EL SONNET 3 Cochlear Implant Audio Processor (medel.com) 

Kind regards, Barbara 

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for your quick response! ASHA and MFI are not the same as LE Audio even though they use BT-LE for transmitting audio data. LE Audio uses the higher quality LC3 codec. It also is not limited to certain Apple and Android systems, provided they are new enough.

John Schulz

Yes! Thank you @Med-El for this new processor! It has a IP68 water rating!!! So happy as I sweat a lot. Also, it is shorter with the batteries as well. Can’t wait to try out the streaming without any external components. 
Hope the FDA moves fast for a US release. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jewel said:

I'm glad we didn't have to wait for long for the Sonnet 3. It looks like it is a fantastic upgrade. 

Can you please give the dimensions and weight for Sonnets 1, 2  and 3 @MED-EL Moderator?

Hi @Jewel

sure.

With Battery Pack Cover Micro, the SONNET 3 is 46.86 mm in height compared to SONNET 2’s 51.4 mm height (with Battery Pack Cover Micro).

In fact, SONNET 3 is even 18% shorter and ca. 2 gr lighter compared to SONNET 2 with AudioStream.

You’ll find all technical details on our website:

https://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/cochlear-implants/sonnet3#Contact

https://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/cochlear-implants/sonnet2#Contact 

And you can compare the features both of SONNET 3 and SONNET 2 here: https://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/cochlear-implants/audio-processor-comparison

Kind regards, Barbara

3 minutes ago, Percy said:

@MED-EL Moderatorwhat is the cost of the sonnet 3 for an upgrade?

Hi @PercySONNET 3 is approved for countries accepting the CE mark and has been released today. Please check with your local MED-EL team, they have the latest updates on availability and pricing of SONNET 3 in your country.  

Kind regards, Barbara 

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

One more question Barbara if you don’t mind.

Which parts of Sonnet/Sonnet2 are compatible with Sonnet 3?

DL-coil?

Coil cable?

DL-coil covers?

rechargeable battery adapter?

rechargeable batteries?

disposable battery pack?

battery covers?

• HearPeers Heroes
15 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

DL-coil?

Coil cable?

DL-coil covers?

rechargeable batteries?

disposable battery pack?

battery covers?

Yes I am curious about this too!

I was really looking forward to this announcement for years, but now that it is there I am quite disappointed.

It still doesn't look like the new Sonnet offers a good streaming solution for bimodal users with an iOS device, even if it is nice to have AudioStream built into the processor unit. But in addition to that it seems like it will support neither Auracast nor telecoil without the use of additional devices. To me, that feels like one step forward and two steps back. :( I still hope I misunderstood those parts of the announcement.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

How long is the battery expected to last if you do Bluetooth streaming? Also, how long should the battery last if there is no streaming? I'm sure Med-El ran tests on this.

Curious as to how it would be for both rechargeable and disposable batteries.

• HearPeers Heroes
3 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Kylie Are you as excited as I am to upgrade to Sonnet 3?  Wonder who will offer it first- Australia or the US?  Maybe we will upgrade at the same time.

Yes yes yes!!!! I think I'll email my audiologist... :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

DL-coil?

Coil cable?

DL-coil covers?

rechargeable batteries?

disposable battery pack?

battery covers?

Hi @Mary Beth we're always happy to answer any questions 🙂 That's what we are here for! 

Yes, these SONNET / SONNET 2 parts are compatible with SONNET 3. 

Kind regards, Barbara 

• HearPeers Heroes

Thank you Barbara @MED-EL Moderator

I will be able to keep using my decals! At least those on the coil.

Will using decals on the Sonnet 3 control unit negatively impact direct streaming?

• Like 1

• Members

Very interesting and looking forward to talking about it with people.

Here is a quick first draft (still have stuff to add) comparing the Sonnet 2 and Sonnet 3.

image.png.84c4de83b9db722cf9e50de448994a65.png

@MED-EL Moderator I'm also interested in finding out more about the AudioLink XT as soon as possible. 

I’m hoping for better range and a more stable connection. 

• Members

@MED-EL Moderator Thanks for the info on the Audiostream vs. Sonnet 3.  I used your 2 gram estimate of the difference. 

In my Sonnet2  wearing, I would almost always have the Audiostream cover adding that comparison makes a lot of sense and makes for a compelling change. 

Audiostream with Standard Battery
Total Weight (g) 10 (Estimate?) 8.0 -20.0% Compared to standard battery + Audiostream, (wgt. estimate)
Total Length (mm) 63.7 52.0 -18.4% Compared to Audiostream vs. S3 with builtin BT
Usage time "up to" (hrs) ? ? ? No stats on battery life

The specialized use case of placing inside headphone earcups is interesting and I'll look forward what other people report when they can start fiddling with it. The shorter length helps fit a Sonnet 3 better inside headphone earcup but the the increases in thickness and width for the hook might counteract that specialized use case.   The much better IP rating should be good though in the sweaty/humid environment inside an earcup though.

Really looking forward to hearing more about the details on BT connectivity. 

I'm really curious about how this feels on, but I am also VERY disappointed in this announcement. It feels like they sacrificed some key features for a few negligible wins over competitors and the sonnet 2. The fact that the new device is thicker throughout, has lower input dynamic range, loses telecoil, and doesn't include Bluetooth LE / Auracast compatibility is a huge disappointment. The biggest issue for me is the batteries. The fact that they are still using 10 year old battery tech from the original sonnet is hugely disappointing. The chunky max battery was supposed to be bridge to this new device, not the solution. I'm happy that they were able to reduce the weight of the core processor so much that it combined with the max battery weight about the same as the sonnet 2 plus the standard battery, but now it's a thicker device that weighs (slightly) more and still can't match competitor battery life. (The fact that the nucleus can fit the battery lift of our standard battery into something lighter than our Micro is telling).

I'm hoping that that at least the Auracast is something it is capable of/they can add/or they didn't advertise clearly,  but I'm still left disappointed. 

2 minutes ago, Tim said:

@MED-EL Moderator Thanks for the info on the Audiostream vs. Sonnet 3.  I used your 2 gram estimate of the difference. 

In my Sonnet2  wearing, I would almost always have the Audiostream cover adding that comparison makes a lot of sense and makes for a compelling change. 

Audiostream with Standard Battery
Total Weight (g) 10 (Estimate?) 8.0 -20.0% Compared to standard battery + Audiostream, (wgt. estimate)
Total Length (mm) 63.7 52.0 -18.4% Compared to Audiostream vs. S3 with builtin BT
Usage time "up to" (hrs) ? ? ? No stats on battery life

The specialized use case of placing inside headphone earcups is interesting and I'll look forward what other people report when they can start fiddling with it. The shorter length helps fit a Sonnet 3 better inside headphone earcup but the the increases in thickness and width for the hook might counteract that specialized use case.   The much better IP rating should be good though in the sweaty/humid environment inside an earcup though.

Really looking forward to hearing more about the details on BT connectivity. 

Thank you @Tim for consolidating all of this information, it is very helpful!

• Members

@Ely  Glad that you found it helpful. 

I'll post an updated comparison sheet again when I get some more info.  Happy to incorporate more information or corrections. 

I'm curious to hear what comes out regarding BT details but don't feel like I have clear enough information yet. 

If I were still wearing Sonnet 2+Audiostream all the time like I was before the Rondo 3 Audiostream came out, it likely more comfortable and better. 

Would have been nice going to integrated batteries with battery covers to just improve usability and cut the failure points. 

Battery life is a concern.  Surprised that they are effectively just standing pat.  Retaining compatibility with old batteries and accessories is less important than all day battery life. I really like not having to carry around a spare rechargeable to get through the day and that's one of several reasons I primarily use my Rondo 3 (with Audiostream.) Based on current information, if I were to get a Sonnet 3 upgrade, I think I would be going Max batteries.