Swimming with Processors

JessDunn

Hi,

Does anyone else have big trouble with this? We have tried water wear but found it very hard to use and quite expensive.  We have also tried the cochlear bags but have found the bags leak at times, but still the most user friendly. What do people use? How do you secure them on?

• HearPeers Heroes

I've never dared (though I have only been implanted this year).  I was terrified the processors would fall off.  If I'm going to swim I need to find a way to secure them.  I know we have users here who use headbands.  @Kara of Canada @Mary Beth

Would be very interested to hear what works.

We usually use stronger magnets (level 4) and a thick wetsuit material band (designed for grommets) over the top. But we went swimming in the local pools she lost it. It took us over and hour to find it and I am sure many people can sympathise just how stressful that can be. Its left us quite concerned about future swimming events.

PS @Mary Featherston congratulations on being implanted, very exciting!

• Like 1

We tried Med-el waterwear and agree not very user friendly and moisture had leaked in a bit.  Also very difficult to keep it secure.  I have heard on other parent forums that the Cochlear ones are better but not tried it yet.  My daughter is not a swimming enthusiast just wants to learn and be confident at it, she prefers being deaf at the swimming class.

Just a thought Med-el has a sports headband for physical activities where the implants stay secure in the pockets of the headband, worth giving a try.

Hope Med-el comes with a better product just for swimming!

• HearPeers Heroes

I use Rondos in waterwear and everything sounds terrific!  I have friends with both AB and Cochlear brands and they say things sound muted in their water options.  It’s a tough trade off.

I swim with my Rondos in the ocean every year and secure them this way.

I use Energizer silver oxide 357 batteries for Rondos in waterwear because they last 12 hours for me, plenty for full beach days.  The alkaline LR44 batteries merely last 4-6 hours for me and make the cost of the waterwear seal not worth it.

After my Rondos are in their waterwear covers, I place them in bilateral Rondo EarGear covers with tether and clip and clip it to my swimsuit or swim shirt.

https://www.gearforears.com/content/ear-gear-rondo-corded

Things still sound awesome and if I knock off a Rondo on the beach, it is secured to me.

When I enter the ocean, I put on a nammucap right over the EarGear covers.  This keeps my Rondos in place as I ride the waves.  Everything still sounds amazing!  And the nammucaps are extremely comfortable.

https://www.nammuhats.com/product-category/solid-color/

I have been following this routine for 3 years and it works great for me.  

I have never ever experienced a leak in my Rondo waterwear covers.  I hope I never do.

• HearPeers Heroes

These are the batteries I use in my Rondos with waterwear covers.  They last 12 hours of use for me.  I buy them online whenever they are on sale.  Last time they cost about 85 cents per battery.

I am so thankful to Kitty who gave me a pack of these to try.

1FAD7DC1-A846-40D3-9955-EFF21E6C7220.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi I use the rechargeables with the water wear. Then I put them in my Med El headband ans wear them like that. I use Sonnets. No leaking issues or issues with them falling off. 

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, this sound great, but i see that the battery have mor voltage that processor required. 1.55 vs 1.45 recommended. Could It have some damage to the processor for this. It is a  little difference, but being such a sensitive device has left me in doubt.

@MED-EL Moderator

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

Med-El says we can use silver oxide batteries in Rondos but I never noticed the voltage difference.

Let’s see what @MED-EL Moderator says.

Silver oxide 357 are the silver oxide equivalent of LR44 and zinc air 675.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

The batteries Med-El USA sells to us for waterwear are LR44.  They do not stock silver oxide batteries.

the LR44 batteries are 1.5 V

Intetesting huh?

C2023D41-A987-455C-BD08-9893EB5B79AC.png

• HearPeers Heroes

@Valentin

As you know I love using my Rondos in waterwear for the ocean, lake, pool, hot tub.... ?!  It is beyond fabulous to hear so well at the beach.

I am fortunate to have backup processors.  Although I have never experienced any problems/leaks with Rondo waterwear covers these past 3 years, I still would be hesitant to take the risk if I didn’t have backup processors.  It’s a lot easier to descend under water ? with backup processors.

• 3 months later...

My 7 year old loves to swim and kayak.  She is bilaterally implanted with her most recent implant surgery last May.  She learned how to swim without hearing aids or cochlear implants.

The only time she uses the Rondo Waterwear for her swim lessons in a pool.  So far we have never had a problem with it.  It does fall off but she loves diving for items so that is part of the lesson.  We have tried to use the headband and eargear, but I am guessing those solutions will work better with a stronger magnet.  Her magnet is only a 3.  I will be asking for a 4 at our next audiology appointment.  Thanks for the recommendation on using eargear and the nammu... will be trying that.    

I am still not comfortable with her swimming in a lake or ocean with her Rondo or waterwear.  Maybe that will change as she gets older.  

• HearPeers Heroes

@Heather B

My internal Concerto side uses the same magnet strength with just the Rondo 1 or with the Rondo 1 in waterwear and then in EarGear covers with tether and clip.

My internal Synchrony side needs an increase in magnet strength from3 triangles to 4 triangles when I put it in waterwear and then in EarGear covers with tether and clip,