Quick intros

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

We have so many new HearPeers members!  Awesome!

How about short quick intros from old and new members?

Name (If you wish)

location (if you wish)

type of implant(s)

how long you have been implanted

processors you currently use

and a fun fact about yourself

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth

USA

bilateral CIs

3 years 

Sonnets but may return to OPUS2/Rondos

I love to travel and try new things.

• HearPeers Heroes

Francine aka Jewel

Jamaica 

Flex 28/ Synchrony Pin

Sonnet, awaiting a Rondo2 

Implanted August 21, 2018. Activated September 20, 2018 - it has been a marvellous 3 months! 

I love food and am willing to try anything once! Kinda like Anthony Bourdain in that respect! 

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary

Minnesota, USA

Bilateral CIs, Synchrony implants and Flex 28s.

Sonnets, and will be getting Rondo2s with the promotion

Right ear was activated in May, left ear on November 1

I love travel and food, and reading and walking and gardening.  🙂

• Like 2

Daniel

Adelaide, Australia

Bilateral CIs.

Right ear activated 05/18, Left ear Activated 10/18.

AB Naida Q90.

I love my cat... oh! and my wife! :D

• HearPeers Heroes

Megan

NYC Metro (NJ)

1 CI - left side Synchrony

2 years

Sonnet/Rondo

Random fun fact: I love wandering around and taking pictures 😁 check out my Instagram @megan.livesey 

• Like 2

Al West

Corvallis, Oregon

Med-El Synchrony

Processor: Sonnet (also hearing aid)

2nd implant deemed too risky; because I have CI & HA, any challenge (such as a phone call) I panic wondering what buttons to push.

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi folks! 

Kara 

bilateral: first side three years,  and the new side nine months

Toronto, Canada 

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi!  I just joined a few minutes ago so I figure I'd start at introductions.

Name: Kylie

Implant: On waiting list to receive R) side CI, Med-el, within 3 months or so

History: sudden R) severe hearing loss from inner ear infection, 8 months ago

Dearest hope from my implant: to once again enjoy singing 

Fun Fact: The highlight of our Christmas celebrations is building our Lego Christmas village as a family (with our 2 kids) 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Welcome @Kylie!

We love Legos too!  Post a picture!

Wishing you the best.  My Med-El CIs returned music to my life and I am so thankful!

• HearPeers Heroes

This is our little village so far.  We add a new building each year - we have a large table to cover so it's a tradition that will last years!

So far we have a train, fire station, ski chalet, ice rink, train station, toy shop and lots of little minifigs doing cute things like carolling or skiing.

lego.jpg

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

Hello @Kylie!  Welcome!  I hope you can resume your singing too.  What a cute Lego village you have there!

Chris Arnone (aka on peers, Hearing Again)

Scranton, PA

Med-el Synchrony and Rondo (just received post card that the new Rondo 2 is in its way)

Implanted 3 months ago, activated 2 months ago, and OVERWHELMED!!!

Love to live everyday to the fullest. One day, after never being sick, BOOM, 24years old and diagnosed with a (usually) fatal brain tumor. Family, friends, life and travel are what it’s all about. 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Hearing Again

Glad you are enjoying your journey so far 😁 The world is a noisy place and I never really knew! Two years later and I’m still amazed at new sounds I hear and how wonderful the Med El CI is!! Enjoy every hearing moment 👍

hi my name is Mike new here and rarely new to my implants well also to not being able the hear. I have bilateral implants synchrony implants and all processors. just got my rondo 2s I use all of them as each has its advantages however in current hearing test I seem to score better with rondo 2s would be great if all of the above had bluetooth tho 

• HearPeers Heroes

Which processors do you have at @Mike? Will you share your thoughts on the advantages of each?

Welcome to HPs.  I look forward to hearing about your Rondo 2 experiences.

I currently have 2 sonnets I believe they work best for listening to music and using telecoil I have 2 rondo's they work well for watching TV but are somewhat heavy so I try not to wear them to long. I also have 2 new rondo 2s they seem to work well for everyday use and are very light i havent had them long so not really sure about music. my scores with the rondo 2s have been in the mid 80s on each side and upper 90s with both on 

• HearPeers Heroes

I love how light the Rondo 2 is.  I tried on a demo.  So much lighter than the Rondo 1.

I love Rondo 1 for waterwear and times I will be sweating.

I love OPUS2 for everything else.

I have Sonnets as well.  They are great when they are working but I encounter a lot of sound quality issues with them.  They have great tone but are my least reliable processors.

that's interesting I have never tried the opus2. The only real glitches I have had with my sonnets has been them shutting off once and a while when going from telecoil to mic. If it wasnt for the on the ear thing that after about 10 hours of wear gets a lil sore I would wear those all the time. The sonnet has many more mic settings than the others I have. I was able to hear completely out of my left ear and partially out of my right until Jan this year and I have always been a huge music buff. music has been most of my life from owning my own car audio shop to playing bass guitar so this was a huge sudden blow to me. the sonnet seems to have a richer sound quality to it. On the rondo 2 yes they are super light the sound quality is good as well but for me they seem to be better for communication than music. I also have had a problem as I do with my rondo with keeping them on my head lol. I have #5 magnets in rondo's and 3 in my rondo 2s but unless I shave that portion of my head any sudden moves make them fall off. It's not really a major problem as I keep my hair super short anyway but between haircuts it just aggravates so I go back to my sonnets. I just need to order stronger magnets the down side to that is they will tend to hurt after while as with the rondo. I recently had testing done and adjustments made with my rondo 2s I am scoring in the mid 80s in each ear and upper 90s with both on so I am very happy with verbal performance. i would love for the bluetooth to be activated in them apparently it is capable but just not turned on. I also would love to get software and hardware to make my own adjustments. Like I said being in the sound business for over 25 yrs I think I can do it. overall I am happy and doing very well with my CIs considering I have only had one for 6 months and one for 3 months. I have a great team working with me my doctor is awesome and my audiologist is super great and very patient. I have a sound lab built at home so often I will listen to music adjust my equilizers to a sound I like and bring her pictures of my settings so we can compare. Overall I think med el has done a great job with the CI itself i believe over time the processors will get better and better. For me it was nice to get my first t3 MRI and not have to worry about magnets 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mike

It sounds like you are doing great!  That is terrific.  Which CI center do you go to?

I read that the Sonnets have a dormant 2.4 wireless receiver but I have not read that about the Rondo 2.  

I would give a slight advantage to the Sonnets in omni mic setting for bass tones in music but only slight.  I don’t use the same MAPs on my OPUS2/Rondos as I do on my Sonnets so it is possible that my MAP difference is providing the great bass in my OPUS2/Rondos.

Being so skilled with sound engineering is a definite advantage to you in providing feedback to your audiologist.

Do you find the omni mic setting to provide the deepest bass tones in music when listening through speakers or headphones?