Sonnet mic covers - again!

MallaRuth

Hi all

I have a question about sound quality and the Sonnet mic covers. I am convinced that every now and again, I get a just-perceptible dropping off in quality if something has been rubbing the covers.

Today, I tried a new hairstyle. I swept all my hair to the side and plaited it. I had to take this out a few hours later because my hair was rubbing so much on the top of the Sonnet that the noise was driving me crazy. Later, when I sat to watch TV, I noticed I had to turn it up a little louder than usual. I couldn't hear voices quite as well, and all sound had a slightly 'tinny' quality to it.

I notice this quality appearing every now and again with the Sonnets. Not sure if I'm imagining it... But I'm definitely sensing something. Changing the covers has not made a difference.

• HearPeers Heroes

I got a haircut last night and had the stylist cut the hair even shorter than usual.  Nothing's causing friction on my processor!  But I know a lot of women don't like short hair.  Have you tried the Ear Gear covers?  I used them once or twice to reduce wind, and I think they'd stop the hair rubbing too.

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth  Yup.  I experienced the same thing.  Sometimes this works.  

I take apart the Sonnet....

separate DL-coil from cable

separate cable from Sonnet

remove battery cover

remove battery pack or rechargeable battery adapter

remove battery

Wait a bit.  Put it all back together again.

You described one of several sound quality issues that frustrate me with the Sonnets.  My OPUS2 and Rondo processors consistently sound the same all the time.  My Sonnets are not as consistent.

• HearPeers Heroes

You know I just changed my mic covers for the first time on NYD and I think the sound quality isn't as good as it was with the original mic cover I was using since activation in September. I found it strange. My hair doesn't bother the mic cover though. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Once I received mic covers that were missing the tiny black round filters that are underneath the cover.  I check that those filters are in place before changing mic covers ever since several people reported the same problem.  It only happened to me once so far.  I need to hold the mic covers under a light to check them.

Are you noticing high frequency sounds more with the new cover?  Those are the first to be dampened for me.  I swap mic covers every 2 months because I want consistent sound quality.  If I wait 3 months, the high frequencies start to get quieter.

I read a post from someone who felt like she had an entirely new MAP when she changed her mic cover.  She had waited quite awhile between changes.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I'm not sure whether I am noticing high frequencies better. I don't think I am. I noticed at work since Wednesday that I have been missing some of what people are saying to me. Even watching a video on my phone I can hardly make out what is being said and I didn't have any problem before that. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

If you have another new mic cover, you can swap to that cover now and keep the one that you just put on in your supplies.  See what things sound like with the second new cover.  If everything sounds better again, maybe there is something wrong with that mic cover.  If everything sounds the same as it does now, then both mic covers sound the same.  It’s worth a try.  I have noticed sound quality differences with different  mic covers.  

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks @Mary Bethit's worth a shot! 

I wasn't sure whether if I removed the cover I could still reuse it. 

Thanks everybody for the thoughts. Kinda relieved I'm not imagining it but it's a shame the mic covers present these sound quality issues. I'm noticing it far more since I changed my mic covers for the first time about six weeks ago. 

A bit of a dumb question. How come we can't clean the mic covers then put them back on i.e. why do they have to be totally replaced? Is it because of the filters you mentioned @Mary Beth?

@Mary Featherston do you mean something like this? https://www.connevans.co.uk/catalogue/1233614/Ear-Gear I have a lot of problems with hair rubbing. I have a side fringe and if I tuck my hair behind my ears, I have to stop walking and untuck it because it makes such a loud noise - literally a thudding sound!

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

The Sonnet mics seem to be so sensitive to air flow (walking down an inside hallway) and to anything that touches them since they are positioned right on top. The OPUS2 mic is protected by the hook.  The Rondo 1 mic is protected by the mic cover raised piece.

I notice much less problems with the Sonnets in omni.

Some people use EarGear mini cordless covers just to protect the Sonnet mic area so wind noise and hair noise is less of a problem.

https://www.gearforears.com/content/ear-gear-mini-cordless

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

I was told yesterday by a Bilateral user that he washes the old mic covers with a drop of soap and dries them thoroughly and reuses same. 

I'm gonna test that later this year. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@MallaRuth

The Sonnet mic covers have two tiny round filters underneath.  I have never tried to wash them.  I just put new ones on every two months.