New Samba

Eve

Hello, I am Eve and I had my implant operation two and a half months ago and my external device fitted about 5 weeks ago. I still have a bit of pain on the op site and especialy after I sleep on that side for some time.

I have loud tinnitus all the time, but now I also have a static noise coming from the device.  Have any of you experienced this?  The company rep is telling me that it is normal and nothing can be done, but it drives me crazy.

Thanks a lot and I am so happy that I found this forum as I can't seem to find any information on this connected to Samba specifically.

Thank you Mary Beth,

I would really like to hear from the users of this device, so I am looking forward hearing from  Ivana Marinac or anyone else who has the same device.

Many thanks.

Hi @Eve,

thanks for sharing your situation. We've sent you a private message to learn more and help resolve this issue.

Kind regards,

Barbara 

Hi Eve - I'm about a week into using a Bonebridge and it doesn't make a static noise. This seems like something the audiologist might be able to tune out? I certainly wasn't warned that it might make a static noise, nor have I seen it reported in the literature - I'm hoping this suggests that it's either a mechanical fault or something the audiologist can fine tune away. Is the sound a constant hum/buzz or noise distortion like a speaker turned up too loud?  I occasionally have the latter (even when the device is turned right down) and am going to try to get the audiologist to adjust the settings when I see him next week. 

I see that Med-El have been in touch with you, anyway, so I really hope they help you find a solution to this. Must be very frustrating after all the angst and high hopes of the op. Good luck, and do shout if you have any questions. Happy to help if I can. 

Jamie 

• Like 2

Thanks so much Jamie,

So far you are the first person whom I am in touch with who actually uses the same device.  I will go back to the audiologist next week and hopefully the problem will be solved.  At the same time it is so good for me to hear from someone who actually has the implant and feels what it is like to live with the Bonebridge. The noise is constant, all the time and it is like the noise you hear when the radio is not on the right channel. Do you feel any discomfort after sleeping on the implant? How much does it stick out for you? If you find my question a bit personal, just ignore it. I just really would like to hear other's experience with this. Mine is quite an obvious bump and it doesn't feel comfortable lying on it.

Thank you again so much for sharing your experience.

Eve

• HearPeers Heroes

@Eve

Although I have CIs and not BoneBridge, you may find this sleeping position helpful.

I made a triangular opening by bending my arm and positioned the implant in that opening to avoid any pressure on that area  until it was comfortable.  Others have used travel pillows to do the same.

Good luck.

I got the Samba at the end of January.  I haven't ever heard any static noise from it.  I also have tinnitus and find that I don't notice it as much when I wear the Samba.  Hoping you have been able to resolve the issue with help from Med-El or your audio.

Hi Eve - I did feel some discomfort sleeping on the implant for the first three weeks or so after the operation. I think I just tried to sleep either on my back or on my good side, or tried Mary Beth's elbow trick. The swelling and soreness healed up after a few weeks and now I can sleep on it without any discomfort. My audiologist did tell me that some people find the swelling takes longer to go down - it sounds like this might be the case for you. Does the skin around your bump feel hot to the touch, or is it red?

My bump is also pretty pronounced - or at least it feels that way when I run my fingers over it! But my wife assures me that you can't actually see the lump (and I have pretty short hair). 

Wish I could give you some more advice on the static noise you're experiencing - it definitely doesn't sound normal. I hope your audiologist and/or Med-El is able to solve it for you. Do keep us posted. In the meantime, some (no doubt silly) questions that spring to mind:

- Do you only hear the static when you're wearing the Samba? And does the static noise ever get better or worse or is it absolutely constant?

- are you wearing any metal hairclips, earrings, jewellery etc near the implant that might be interfering with the magnet and making it buzz? I recall reading a thread on this forum about how fridge magnets can produce weird sounds in the implants if you put one near enough. [Found the thread! Here: https://forum.hearpeers.com/topic/1226-bonebridge-vibration-buzz/ ]

Hope your appointment with the audiologist goes well. Don't be afraid to keep asking questions and asking for more investigation if you feel something isn't right. And let us know how you're getting on. 

All the best,

Jamie  

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 12:12 AM, Eve said:

Thanks so much Jamie,

So far you are the first person whom I am in touch with who actually uses the same device.  I will go back to the audiologist next week and hopefully the problem will be solved.  At the same time it is so good for me to hear from someone who actually has the implant and feels what it is like to live with the Bonebridge. The noise is constant, all the time and it is like the noise you hear when the radio is not on the right channel. Do you feel any discomfort after sleeping on the implant? How much does it stick out for you? If you find my question a bit personal, just ignore it. I just really would like to hear other's experience with this. Mine is quite an obvious bump and it doesn't feel comfortable lying on it.

Thank you again so much for sharing your experience.

Eve

Hi Eve, I am a new Samba user as of last week and saw your post. Did you see your audiologist and was the problem resolved? I experienced some staticy noise when we were activating the device, but with a few adjustments by the audiologist, the problem was resolved. My Bonebridge has been a life-changer just in five short days! I am in medical imaging and have struggled with communicating with my patients since my acoustic neuroma surgery eight years ago. It is so wonderful to not have to constantly ask them to repeat what they said! I do not sleep with my Samba because I use a CPAP device for sleep apnea. It probably wouldn't stay on anyway, as I have short hair. Good luck with your hearing journey!

Debbie

• 5 months later...

Hello to you all.

So glad I found this site. 

I'm booked in for my bonebridge next week 5th Sept. I'm excited but nervous at the same time..

Any advise on what to do and expect would be greatly appreciated 😉😊

Steph 

Hi, Stephanie, I hope your Bonebridge will be as life enhancing as mine has been! The surgery was about an hour and a half. I had it on a Thursday and went back to work on Monday. The stitches are internal, so I was able to wash my hair the next day. My ear was red and swollen for a couple of weeks, but not a big deal. I hope this helps some.

Debbie

Thankyou so much Debbie.

I'm off to get a mri on my head before I get the bonebridge, as apparently you can't get the strong ones done with  a BB?

I have a lot of health issues so it's a good thing to get checked out .

Stephanie,  Best of luck and just think how great it will be once you have your device activated!  Listen to your Doctor! 

I have been a Samba user for a year and a half now.  No regrets!

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone! My son have been using Bonebridge with Samba for 7 months now. Before that he was using a BCHA (bone conduction hearing aid), since he was 7 years old. We had access to speech therapy very late. Now with Samba he says he can listening better than before. After the surgery he had no problems and the activation was without occurrences.

There are one thing that he ask me: Bluetooth connection!

I read in the internet and I found the miniTek as the compatible accessory, but the Siemens (Signia) said this is discontinued. Now they have the easyTek.

I wasn't able to find the information if the easyTek is compatible with Samba.

P.S: To Samba 2, the Med-el offers Samba 2 Go. I saw both, Samba 2 Go e easyTek, they are really really similar.

Does someone know if the Samba and easytek are compatible?

• 2 weeks later...

@Andre Belitardo sorry for the late reply! 

I checked with our product experts and unfortunately easyTek does not work with SAMBA or SAMBA 2. 

However, miniTek is still available directly through MED-EL, so if you are interested in one, please get in touch with your local MED-EL team directly. 

Hope that helps! 

Kind regards, Verena