A different kind of WOW moment

Mary Featherston

• HearPeers Heroes

Yesterday was my audiology appointment - it's six months since my second CI was activated.  I continue to be amazed by this journey and am really happy with my progress:

Prior to implantation, with two hearing aids:          19% comprehension

Three months after right side implanted:               89% with CI only
                                                                          92% with CI and HA

Three months after left side implanted:                 87% with right CI only
                                                                         84% with left CI only
                                                                          93% with both Cis

Six months with bilateral Cis:                    94% with right CI only

90% with left CI only

97% with both

I also got tested with background noise.  Three months ago I got 45% and yesterday I got 64%.

This is really something.

• HearPeers Heroes

Great job @Mary Featherston!

Has the echo been resolved yet?  Was this your appt with the Med-El audiologist joining in too?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth - no, I saw Susan two weeks ago.  Normally we wouldn't have had two appointments this close together but we wanted to do the testing.

It's not entirely gone but I like the MAP I have and we didn't remap it.  I think this is going to improve, I can hear improvement already.

• HearPeers Heroes

Just minor adjustments to individual electrodes.  On the right, where the echo is, we had previously tried to reduce it by lowering volume in the lower frequencies but this time we moved 'em back up a bit.  More or less mirrored by increasing the high frequencies on the left, which was still tinny.  It was counter intuitive to me but Susan's recommendation meshed with what Kirsten had said before - we really only tried the previous adjustments out of frustration.  The high frequencies on the left CI are a tad lower than midrange and the low frequencies on the right are a tad lower than midrange but overall I've regained a fuller sound and my brain is liking it.  When we did the testing yesterday we tested them individually and together and they sounded better individually than they have in quite a while.  

I suspect it was, as Kirsten has been telling me all along, that I just needed to let the process work, but I'm not notably patient (ahem) and wanted to tweak the MAPs for what was probably just my brain needing time.  I told her yesterday that I recognized that she was right all along.  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

Wow @Mary Featherston

Happy for you! Last year you went through some life changing events with surgeries and all and now look at you! You go girl! 

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

Thanks, @Jewel!  It really is life-changing.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Super!  And it was a learning curve for me too about moving electrodes up when intuition thinks they should go down.  So happy your new MAPs seem promising before your big trip!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth all I need now is CIs that can translate from French.  🙂

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Now that would be awesome! 

Until then we have the app Microsoft Translator!

• Like 1

@Mary Featherston

Wow! 97% bilaterally! That is astounding and fantastic. I am curious about which electrodes you have? I can't seem to find it easily in the forum history. I see you switch between the Sonnet and Rondo2 for the processor. I assume they have similar MAPs so when you switch, it isn't drastically different to your brain? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Watersail - sorry for the delay, we were on vacation.  I have Flex 24s on both sides.  And yes, the MAPs for Rondo2s are the same ones I use on Sonnet.  I have no trouble switching between them.  I think @Jewel has the same experience?

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi @Watersail

I have Flex 28 and as @Mary Featherstonsays I switch between the Rondo2 and the Sonnet often and I have no problems adjusting. They have different maps.