Prelingual child bilateral deafness

Mama2Lu

My foster son, Lu, is 3 years old (we have had him since 8 days old) and we are finalizing his adoption next month. We just found out this year through ABR test that Lu has profound hearing loss in his right ear and mod-severe in his left. He was born substance exposed and was in nicu his first week of life. He has been wearing hearing aids for the past 3 months, but i feel certain he is hearing nothing through the right one. We have been told he is not eligible for CI in one ear bc he is under 5. And not eligible for bilateral CI bc he can still "hear" in his left ear. Is this accurate?  He was prelingual when his hearing loss occurred, so we are very concerned for his speech development and possibly missing the "hearing window". 

Thanks for any insights you may have for me!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mama2Lu

I see now.  Ok.  Have you checked out any large CI centers which may have clinical trials your son may qualify under?

@Mary Beth

I didn't know such a thing existed.... 

How would I find out more about this? 

Sorry for not replying, didn't see the email notifying me of your response.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mama2Lu

you can search clinical trials for Med-El here and see trials like this one for children who fall outside typical approval for CIs

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03900897?term=Med-el&rank=1

You can also contact Med-El US and ask for assistance in finding a trial your son may qualify for in the US.