New to hear peers & Choosing brands

Rick H

6 hours ago, Jewel said:

Hi @Rick H

I have Sonnet 1 and Rondo2. Both are great for music! Everyone's journey is a bit different. For me I was able to enjoy music within the first 3 months of activation. Music sounds just as it did when I had normal hearing. I was able to enjoy music at a concert a few months ago! 

I hear better with Rondo2 but in noisy environments I prefer Sonnet 1. Check if your CI center is a two processor facility. You may be able to get one of each. Of course if you're going with the Sonnet, I'd recommend you wait on Sonnet 2 unless you're able to benefit from an exchange. 

I'm hardly in noisy environments so it's not a problem using the Rondo2 personally. 

Yesterday I was driving and listening to an audiobook and it was very clear. I usually connect the phone to the car radio but this time forgot! I was amazed that with my Rondo2 I could make out the audiobook clearly while driving although I was just hearing from the phone's speakerphone a few feet away! Gonna try that with my Sonnet tomorrow and see how it compares!

Wishing you the best with your journey. 

Hi Jewel

Wow that sounds great! Yes I think my center is a 2 processor center. If so I’m going to try for the Sonnet2 since they have the swap program going on now. I’m really leaning toward Med-El, I have until Thursday to make my decision but that sounds like the way to go. Glad to hear it’s working so well for you & your enjoying your Med-Els so much!

Thanks for your input it really helps with my decision!

Rick H

I hope I’m not flooding this post with double  entries! I keep hitting the submit reply & sometimes it doesn’t save my responses. Still learning to use this forum I guess! Lol

1 hour ago, Ricky said:

Flexible electrode is longer than Cochlear's and go in further into cochleae. I was implanted this year, heard high frequency for first time as I was extremely weak in that area. Been a journey. Cicadas, birds either talking to or yelling at each other, buses and trucks pressured air releasing which annoy me, leaves rubbing on ground and blown by wind. About music, well, it depended on how heavy I go. AC/DC was static for me until I got mostly used to it but I heard it much more clearly than I did with hearing aid. More details like the vibrations of guitars, never heard them. All of above and plus many many more, my hearing aids weren’t able to hear them for me because my high frequency is non existence. During hearing test, max volume and still can’t hear them. Imaging hearing them for first time. 

Hope this helps with your decision. 

Thanks Ricky

it helps a lot with my decision, thank you. My hi frequency are also gone pretty much  & consonants have been a thing of the past for quite awhile! I’m also a big fan of AC/DC, (that was the last concert I attended) but I like all kinds of Rock music! Mostly 80s stuff , probably because that’s when I heard the best! Lol I’m really looking forward getting this done  soon starting this journey!

thanks for the input! 

Rick H

Hi everyone 

i just wanted to thank everyone for sharing your experiences & advice! It really helped me to make an informed decision! I had my pre-op appointment with my surgeon & audiologists yesterday.  In 2 weeks from today I’ll start my new journey & be implanted with a Med-el Synchrony with Sonnet2/Rondo2 processors! Yeah!!😀

getting nervous but I’m sure it is going to be great!

thanks again

Rick H

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

That is terrific @Rick H!

looking forward to hearing all about your journey!

Feel free to ask any questions at any time.

Hi everyone.  I just chose Med-El on Friday and surgery is tomorrow!  Activation is Oct. 18.  The clinic is going to let me use their demo Sonnet processor until Sonnet 2 comes out.  Plus I will have Rondo 2.  I look forward to hearing again.   I hope they announce the availability of Sonnet 2 soon!  This is my first post.  Have a great day.  Dawn

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dawn K

Congratulations and welcome to HearPeers Dawn!  Exciting times ahead for you.  Feel free to ask any questions.

Which CI center are you using?  I go to New York Eye & Ear in NYC.  I have been implanted since 2015.  Life changing!

Hi Mary Beth.  I have seen so may posts on here from you.  : )  look forward to more.  I go to the Oregon Clinic and Dr. Frank Warren in Portland, Oregon.  It is exciting but am a bit nervous.  Its not like getting a gall bladder out...this is actually life changing!  I am having to take those steroids before and after...so the nausea and dizziness makes me think about how I will feel after surgery so I don't look forward to that if it happens.  Well see.  Keep you posted.  Dawn

• HearPeers Heroes

@Dawn K

I hope your surgery and recovery go as easily as mine did.  Wishing you the best.

(I took the leg of an old pair of eyeglasses off so I could wear my glasses without anything behind my newly implanted ear.  I also slept in a recliner for the first couple of nights to keep the swelling down.)

Good ideas.  I can do that with my glasses, guess I will have to pass on the recliner but have more pillows than I can count.  Thanks for the tips!

Hi Rick,

I’m new to CI’s and was implanted on September 5th and activated on the 24th. I did a lot of research on the cochlear implants themselves and the audio processors. My CI doctor used the Synchrony 2 array and felt the flexibility  of placement could get close to the auditory nerve which helps in brain discrimination. She said she had a lot of success with the particular implant.

I opted for the Sonnet 2 audio processor because it is the latest technology and does many listening adaptations automatically. You can read about it on the Med-El website. I guess it’s so new, their delivery schedule has been delayed, as my Sonnet 2 wasn’t available on my activation date. I started out yesterday with the Rondo 2 which I selected because it is easy to wear and charge especially if you are active. I can’t understand well yet but Rondo and I are going to give it our best shot.

Good luck on your implant and selection of audio processors.

Don

Hi Dawn,

You made the same choices that I did for audio processors - the Sonnet 2 and Rondo 2. I was activated yesterday and will be using my Rondo 2 until my Sonnet 2 comes in. I think it will be worth the wait for the Sonnet 2.

Let me know how your experience with the Sonnet 1 goes.

Good Luck!

Don

Hi Dawn 

I’m new to this forum  as well & still getting used to navigating the site, welcome ! I hope your surgery went great & you have a speedy recovery! My surgery is a week from today! Like you I’m a bit nervous but I know it will be exciting times coming. I saw a video from someone else who had it  done & recommended using one of the neck pillows for traveling on planes to keep your head off the implanted side while sleeping during recovery. It sounds like a good idea especially if you sleep in a chair, so I have mine ready! Just a thought.  

You picked the same processors as me also, that sounds like you’ll be getting the best of both worlds. Everyone seems to love them. Great that they are letting you use a demo I’m planning on using my Rondo2 & not opening my sonnet until the Sonnet2 is available then do the swap!

best of luck to you & keep us posted on your progress!

Rick H

On 9/25/2019 at 10:50 PM, Don Doherty said:

Hi Rick,

I’m new to CI’s and was implanted on September 5th and activated on the 24th. I did a lot of research on the cochlear implants themselves and the audio processors. My CI doctor used the Synchrony 2 array and felt the flexibility  of placement could get close to the auditory nerve which helps in brain discrimination. She said she had a lot of success with the particular implant.

I opted for the Sonnet 2 audio processor because it is the latest technology and does many listening adaptations automatically. You can read about it on the Med-El website. I guess it’s so new, their delivery schedule has been delayed, as my Sonnet 2 wasn’t available on my activation date. I started out yesterday with the Rondo 2 which I selected because it is easy to wear and charge especially if you are active. I can’t understand well yet but Rondo and I are going to give it our best shot.

Good luck on your implant and selection of audio processors.

Don

Hi Don

i chose the same set up as you pretty much for the same reasons, everyone wants the latest & greatest & think it’s going to work out really good for you! My surgery is one week from today & won’t be activated until November 5th! I’m getting excited though, it will be so nice to be able to communicate again. 

Sounds like your off to a good start, everyone says it can be a slow start but it keeps improving everyday! I’ll be using my Rondo2 like you until the Sonnet2 comes in.

wishing you the best on your journey & keep us posted 

Rick H

1 minute ago, Mary Beth said:

@Rick H

This topic area may help you become comfortable with navigating HearPeers 

https://forum.hearpeers.com/forum/6-how-to-use-the-hearpeers-forum/

Thanks Mary Beth 

I’ll Check it out!

Rick H

I have the nucleus 7 implant. I was able to understand speech from the word go. After 6 months speech is very good. Loud voices tend to distort. 

I could also enjoy percussion and piano within 3 weeks. . However I cannot hear music as I did before. There is always some distortion. 

There is gradual improvement  and I can enjoy listening. Jewel says she hears as well as before but on the face of it no ci electrode is going to do the job of 3000 or so hair cells. 

As each of us is unique it's very difficult to say which implant is best. 

I think it's best to go for the best support team. 

So far I have not found any comparison between the different makes as to which is the best for music. 

I can't resist a comment, the battery lasts at least 14 hours. For me the n7 does a great job. 

Peter 

Hi Peter

thanks for your response. 

Wow that’s really great that you could understand speech right off the bat! I’ve seen that a few times in some of the activation videos. I was really torn between Cochlear & Medel  . After all my research I’ve concluded that you really can’t make a bad decision on implants. For the most part all 3 brands seem to be very good,  & about 98 to 99% reliable. The biggest real gage to go by is how happy are the recipients with the brands they chose & in that respect they all seem to be very satisfied with their brands! 

As far as music it’s like you said everyone is different & there are so many variables that go into the mix as well as just brands such as how successful the surgery was & how good the surgeon was at getting the exact placement of the electrodes, how much time the person devoted to rehab, etc. but I do agree with you it would be hard to imagine 12 to 22 electrodes doing as well as 20,000  hair cells. Unless someone had one of each brand in each ear it would be impossible to really say which one is better musically! Again it’s really how satisfied you are with your results. Being you have picked it up so quickly I’m sure it will continue to improve over time for you! 

My surgery is this Friday that’s when I officially join the club of recipients! In the end I chose Medel mainly for the OTE processor being rechargeable & a number of other features that I really liked but I think in actuality I would have been happy with Cochlear as well. 

Glad to hear it’s working out for you so well & best of luck to you! 

Thanks

Rick H

Good luck to you too Rick H. 

Last night I had some more thoughts. 

The length of the electrode is the same for medel and cochlear. For me residual hearing is a myth. Has anyone retained a little residual hearing from an already degraded hearing?. 

Would it be possible to use a Cochlear setup program to map a medel implant and vice versa. That would really show the difference. 

I do think the results are from the mapping technique which as technology improves will keep making our quality of hearing better  

Peter 

Thanks Peter

yeah it’s hard to say wether that would be possible or not as I did read there is a difference as to how cochlear & medel process their electrodes ( one fires sequentially & the other fires simultaneously & is paired  to other electrodes in sequence,  but that part gets confusing to me, I’m no sound engineer! Lol) 

i agree I’ve pretty much figured it’s unlikely to retain any residual hearing , would be nice but even my doctor says it’s only a 30% chance & he has had better results with the Cochlear brand for that as they have the thinnest electrodes. 

I’ll  be learning more about the mapping experience soon enough! 

Thanks

Rick H