What was the last straw that pushed you to get a cochlear implant?

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Many of us had progressive hearing loss.  What was the experience that made you finally decide to pursue getting a cochlear implant?  Do you think your timing was right in hindsight or do you wish you had gotten your implant sooner?

• HearPeers Heroes

My last straw event was attending our friends’ wedding.  So limiting.  Needed to speechread 1:1.  Could not even join in the dancing because the music just sounded like random noise with no beat.  That was October 2014. Had my first appt with my CI surgeon in December.  Tests for the CI in January 2015, surgery in February and activation in March.

Strictly from a hearing standpoint, I should’ve gotten my CIs sooner.  From a personal standpoint, I needed to be ready and as soon as I was ready I went.

What about you?

• HearPeers Heroes

I had been going to an audiologist who basically just upgraded my hearing aids every time I needed them replaced.  CIs really weren't on my radar, even though as the years went by, the hearing aids helped less and less.  I thought I was managing fairly well, but (and this is hard to describe) even though I thought I did OK at work and whatnot I also knew I had a serious problem.  But no one had ever spoken to me about CIs.  Finally my audiologist went out of network and I had to go to someone else, and that person tested my hearing, gave a slight scream when she saw the resulting audiogram, and said, Look, you are a candidate for CIs.  Go see Dr H at the University of Minnesota.  And I did, and within a couple of months I was having surgery.  I didn't hesitate.

• HearPeers Heroes

Makes perfect sense to me @Mary Featherston.

Finding a way to keep hearing aid audiologists up to speed on the ever changing CI candidacy rules seems to be very important.  

• Like 2

Although I was/is an avid music listener, I pulled Led Zeppelin IV from my LP collection and realized I couldn't even hear Robert Plant singing...

That was it for me😀

• HearPeers Heroes

I had sudden loss and wanted the implant from the start. But if I had any doubt it was erased when I was at a funeral - couldn't understand the speeches properly, and couldn't hear a word anyone was saying to me, even up close, in the noisy foyer afterwards. It was so awful.

• HearPeers Heroes

My employer met with me about my "medical condition." I realised that they would use my deafness to get rid of me. So I went to my audiologist who told me it was time for me to get a CI. I had been putting it off for years. I decided to go to the US and see if all I needed was the most powerful HA on the market or if I really did need a CI. Note they had told me I needed one about 6 years prior. But the meeting with my employer was the wakeup call for me. 

• Like 2

I pretty much did the hearing aid thing for years, upgrading and staying with the maximum power hearing aids available. It was "good enough" and let me get by in life. Last year, I noticed more-than-usual problems with hearing in my left ear. And I was struggling very much in meetings and every day life understanding people. I would be at a complete loss at understanding without my right hearing aid.  I went to the audiologist and ruled out the easily fixable things (e.g. ear wax, hearing aid malfunctions, etc), and was not successful. The audiologists have been suggesting that I look into CIs for years, but I've put it off because I've been doing ok with them and heavy reliance on lipreading. But, I decided that the hearing aid in my left ear wasn't good enough for me anymore. I went in to get my CI evaluation done and implanted 8 months ago.

As for timing, a lot of my hesitation was that I considered it to be a huge step since it's not really reversible back to hearing aids. Given that the hearing aid was no longer working well in my left ear, I was ready to take that step. The timing was right for me.

If you ask me about my right ear, I do plan to get a CI for it, but not until my left ear is ready to stand on its own. It's still improving every day.

• 2 weeks later...

My wake up call was: I was in sales and had to do a lot of negotiating and contracts dealsI lost a deal that I shouldn’t have I had a very understandings sales Vice President who also wore hearing  aids as I did at the time and he suggested to me about seeing a audiologists that specializes in Cochlear Implants and see if I qualify which I did.I qualified. Best decision I’ve ever made next to going bilateral.

I

It's an interesting experience. It must be scary to lose your hearing when your work and hobbies depend directly on it. I have always wondered if a hearing aid gives you the range of hearing frequencies that you have or can give you?

Reading these posts I realize they are me. I have been hesitating for some time, but I think I'm ready now. I've been tested by AUD who big surprise found me deaf. Next step is meeting surgeon next week. This forum and the one for AB are so very helpful.

• HearPeers Heroes

@EvaD

Wishing you the very best!  If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I was considered a candidate almost 3 years ago, but was scared to do it...worried about everything sounding robotic, losing my sense of taste, the surgery in general. I own a dance studio and teach 12 hours a week...music is so important to me both at work and outside of work...I have been unable to talk on the phone, etc. Over the past 6 months I could no longer hear my little dance students, and then eventually I could not hear adults either...social events on top of the business were too much...I finally decided my inability to hear people/words and music was more scary than the procedure and recovery...they were able to preserve my residual hearing in both ears...had a someone from Med El (from Austria) attend the surgery to demonstrate/oversee a new insertion technique...had a Med El rep at my activation appointment today too...was just activated an hour ago...bilateral...my typing sounds like bells, everything is so loud...the wind sounds like fire engine sirens (that I have not heard in years)...voices sound like I had read they would...tinny, high pitched, chipmunks, etc...I am loving every moment of it so far...feeling oh so grateful. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2

Yay!  The fun has begun!  Keep a listening journal.  Things change so quickly!  

Enjoy your journey!

I had been wearing hearing aids since 11. However, the crunch came nearly 4 years ago when talking to a friend in a bar and the hearing in right ear went. It was like some one had turned down a dimmer switch in a room. Odd. So left me with one hearing aid to use in left ear.Then I was really struggling, with that one ear. At the same time Dad had a stroke. Mum had trouble to get a response from me for help from house to car for example. After seeing the audiologist and our family doctor, their advice was to try for a cochlear implant. 

After a v. long and complicated wait, My implant operation is for this week. At the same time the surgeon decided to use the left ear which has some hearing in it rather than the right ear due to it being small with no hearing etc.

At the end of the day, I am grateful for the implant. Even if in only one ear. I'm aware that I won't hear from both ears, more mono? I hope that as my parent's get older, ( they are in their late 70's) I will be of less stress for them. As I'm hoping the implant will help me respond much quicker when a situation arises. 

So roll on next week!!