Tinnitus that started after implantation/activation

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Hi all

A CI researcher is interested in learning more from CI users who did not have tinnitus before their CI but do have tinnitus that started at CI surgery/activation.

This is not very common.

@Valentin you mentioned this happened to you correct?  Are you interested in sharing your experience with the CI researcher?

Has this happened to anyone else?

• HearPeers Heroes

Why not. If any day someone reach a solution for reduce or eliminate it with no colateral issues. I think it wold be genius

I acquired it 3 months after activation. Do you have more details about this research project?

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

I can put you in touch with the researcher if you private HP mail me your FB username or you can FB messenger me and I will connect you.

I do not have any info.

I was just thinking about you and this subject Mary Beth...I have had tinnitus for years...really loud. It is so much louder 5 days post op. I am struggling with it today. Was your experience similar? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2

I have had tinnitus since my early teens.  It changed and varied quite a bit post CI surgery but then it settled down.  After activation it was no longer noticeable while the processor was on but at bedtime when I removed the processor it went crazy.  I told myself it was my ear/brain reacting to all the new stimuli it processed that day and just embraced it.  That went away completely as I got used to the CI.  Sometimes after a new MAP, it would happen at night again for a few days.

My tinnitus is so much better compared to before CIs.  

Good to know...I know everyone has different experiences, but it is something to hold on to for now...I am a bit emotional/tired today too, which is not helping. I had mostly adjusted to it pre CI, but the past 2 days have been off the charts loud and my head hurts a bit today...I think I might need a nap! ;) Thanks for being so supportive...

• HearPeers Heroes

@DncTchr2

naps are always good.  Smile

Are you using a speech to text app while you wait for activation?  Most are free.

Android:  my favorite is LiveTranscribe 

I do not...I will look into it after my nap...thanks very much for the suggestion...two weeks until activation. My husband and I have been texting...funny, first time he texted me I started to text him back forgetting he can hear what I am saying...a much needed laugh yesterday! :) 

• HearPeers Heroes

LOL!  Hang in there.  The time between surgery and activation is difficult for many of us.  We understand.

@DncTchr2

Thanks...I will. I was doing pretty good until today actually. I'll get it back...thanks again!:)

Just had my surgery 2 days ago and I never before had tinnitus more than 10 sec at a time and not often. Now after surgery I hear a constant hum. Like fan blades going round and round. Driving me nuts!

• 2 weeks later...