Working from home Q&A

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

So many of us are now working from home for the first time due to the pandemic.  This presents new listening challenges.

How are things going for you?

Are there any challenging listening experiences?

What is helping you hear effectively?  Are you using any assistive tech?

Let’s help each other through this difficult time by sharing our successes and brainstorming solutions to challenging listening experiences.

Stay well HPs!

There's a lot more conference calls nowadays. I've been using the artone along with VRS (video relay service) for them. It helps a lot.

I've been having to take more brain breaks between calls as it is a bit exhausting.

• HearPeers Heroes

I'm actually not working from home, my site is essential.  But we keep six feet away and I spend a lot of time in my office by myself.  Lots of conference calls with my Artone neckloop, like Watersail.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Watersail

and @Mary Featherston

The Artone is terrific for conference calls.

Google Hangouts Meet has an option for live captions.  Click on the three dots and then select turn on live captions.

Microsoft TEAMS has an option for live captions on their downloaded app (not the web browser).  It seems the IT Admin needs to enable it so it shows up.  Touch the video, then select captions.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth we have to use Skype (which is being phased out) and Microsoft Teams.  I'll have to check on the captions next week.  I'm off this week - I was supposed to go to Med-El to participate in the research but it was cancelled, and I decided to take the week off anyway.  It's the end of the first quarter, and I haven't used any vacation yet - it's not possible to use up five weeks in the second half of the year!

• HearPeers Heroes

Since I have been working from home I have been using my Rondo2 exclusively. I'm wondering whether my rechargeable batteries for my Sonnet will deteriorate as I haven't used them in a month and they may be parked for another month. 

I use Microsoft Teams with my department. We are connected the entire work day. I hear my coworkers pretty well. However, the lone male in the group connects earphones to the laptop and I find it hard to understand him much of the time unless I am actually looking at him. He also speaks nasally. Not sure how to handle that one. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

The Sonnet rechargeable batteries slowly lose their charge when not used.  Just remove them from the charger and charge them up in a few months.

Have you tried using the Artone with TEAMS?

Our TEAMS version has live captions as an option in the app, not the web version.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

A friend just ordered CozyPhones to use as headphones with her Rondos for video sessions.

• HearPeers Heroes
6 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Jewel

The Sonnet rechargeable batteries slowly lose their charge when not used.  Just remove them from the charger and charge them up in a few months.

Have you tried using the Artone with TEAMS?

Our TEAMS version has live captions as an option in the app, not the web version.

@Mary Beth

No I haven't tried Artone with Teams as I hear everyone but the male colleague well. Even my coworker's 5 year old comes through clearly. 

But I will try Artone on Monday and I will see how that goes. Will also check if the captions are enabled in the TEAMS app. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

For me in TEAMS I just tap the video and select the captions.  It is helpful when there is a bad audio connection.  In our region lots of families have very slow, limited internet service.  But not all accounts have the live captions option.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

I tried the captions on Teams this week. It's not very accurate. It couldn't understand the coworker I have trouble understanding. Today another coworker said it took her a long time to understand his accent. I recorded a few words he said so I can play for the audi at my next mapping.... whenever that will be. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I’m sorry to hear that TEAMS has been much more accurate than Google Meet for me.

• 7 months later...

If you happen to be a Roger pen person and have receivers on your HA and Sonnet - the pen works great with the Zoom audio signal from my laptop using the 3.5 mm pin audio connection wire to the Micro USB connection into the pen. Ditto with a Roger Select and the Select seems to sound even better for word recognition.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ron L Sinclair

You have both the Roger Pen and the Roger Select?

I am not a fan of the Roger Pen but I like the microphone technology of the Roger Select.

I am glad you found a good connectivity option for Zoom meetings.

Zoom has been slow to offer free automatic captions.  GoogleMeet offers them to everyone.

For people who want captions on Zoom, 2 work arounds seem most popular at the moment.

1) Use a second device to run a speech to text app (LiveTranscribe on Android or Otter on iPhone)

2) Call into the Zoom meeting for audio on your cellphone through InnoCaption while using your computer for video.  Then use InnoCaption desk view to see the captions on your computer.

Thanks Mary Beth - always thankful to you for suggesting the Artone 3 Max for telephone use. I now feel for me only the Select gives a tad better clarity and is quick to get going for a phone call. Being an old retired guy I just need phone capability occasionally.  The tough part for me is always the accent from folks that English  was not their birth language - there my word recognition drops quite a bit.

I must spend some time with Otter - as I use an iPhone. I hear it works well also.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ron L Sinclair

Good point about accents.  I practiced accents by listening to TedTalk presentations.  Lots of very interesting topics by people with all different kinds of accents.

Good idea. Practice makes perfect and you can always back "the tape" up and hear it again. I listen to podcasts daily of topics that interest me for the same reason.

But at my age it also sometimes helps to have "The hearing wife" along to translate for me on certain phone calls or conversations. Instant feedback.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Ron L Sinclair

Always helpful to have more ears listening!  Smile

For cell phone use .... have you tried the free app/service called InnoCaption?  It displays what the other person is saying as text on your phone and you speak for yourself.

No I haven't tried this one. A consideration is I am Canadian and some of the free captioning services are available only within the US due to their funding sources.

I also tend to try and find a way to cope using assistive tech - as long as I can. So far - so good for the majority of things even though it is a fairly steep learning curve and relatively expensive.