Put my CIs to a new challenge

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

Today two friends stopped by for a short socially distanced visit in our backyard.  Four people all wearing masks, sitting in chairs set up at 12:00, 3:00, 6:00 & 9:00 around a 12 foot circle.

Seems like some crazy CI research experiment.

I heard very well.

It blows my mind that before getting CIs, I couldn’t follow a conversation involving 4 people even if we were sitting around a small table.

I am very thankful for this gift of hearing from my bilateral CIs.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

Somewhat similar to this.  I have a coworker that I work closely with.  I tend to try to start conversations, when we're in our respective offices, with skype.  You know, I type, he types.  But Brian is a slow typist and he doesn't really like it.  Yesterday he called my office phone, and I knew it was him because we have caller ID.  So I answered and said, Brian, you KNOW I'm not that comfortable on the phone!  I never know if I will hear.

His response?  You CAN hear. 

I mean, sometimes he's wrong, but you know, mostly he's right.

• Like 3

• HearPeers Heroes

Well, right after that I had to ask him to repeat a name four times.  🙂

No context on names, you have to actually hear it.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

Names can be hit or miss, but you followed most of the telephone convo well. Sometimes my coworkera just video call me via Microsoft Teams instead of calling me on the phone. I definitely prefer the video call. Maybe you can try that with Brian as well. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

Does your Microsoft Teams video allow you to turn on live captions if you wish?  Some versions do and some do not right now.  Microsoft says it is in preview version.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth

Yes it does but I don't usually use it. It doesn't do a good job of understanding the Jamaican accent sometimes. 

• HearPeers Heroes

I haven't found it (captions) on the version we use at work.  I tend not to call into the Teams call with my computer because it's a laptop in the docking bay and off to one side of my desk, so the speakers are under the lid of the computer and about three feet away.  I call in separately with my desk phone or my cell phone/Artone neckloop.

I have started to get Microsoft Teams invites without dial-in numbers.  The work around sign in twice, through an app on iphone or ipad so that I can use the microphone as well as the computer if I need to present information or access files on the network to share during the call.

• HearPeers Heroes

@ShannonB

Sign in as two different users? Or does it let you sign in under the same username twice for a meeting?

• HearPeers Heroes
17 hours ago, Mary Featherston said:

I haven't found it (captions) on the version we use at work.  I tend not to call into the Teams call with my computer because it's a laptop in the docking bay and off to one side of my desk, so the speakers are under the lid of the computer and about three feet away.  I call in separately with my desk phone or my cell phone/Artone neckloop.

@Mary Featherston

I have a laptop and docking station as well which are connected to a large monitor. I simply shift the laptop and docking station closer to me and keep the laptop open if I have a Teams meeting and that setup works well for me. Maybe you can try it one day. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel kind of a lot of hassle for me.  I have two monitors that I keep centered on the desk and the phone's to the left, docking bay to the right.  A bunch of clutter under them all.  It would be easier just to use the laptop and not the docking bay and leave it open, but the other thing is that when I don't have to pay much attention to the screen I get up and walk in my office.  It add to my daily steps and I can generally keep up and listen, but it definitely works better with the cell phone and neckloop.