Remote MAPpings and Remote activations

Mary Beth

• HearPeers Heroes

@MED-EL Moderator

I have been reading about a remote activation (with the child at home) and about remote MAPpings with already established patients from their homes recently.  In light of this pandemic and all the cancelled MAPpings and activations, will Med-El offer this to our clinical audiologists anytime soon so we can have our MAPs adjusted remotely from our homes?

On 4/24/2020 at 4:17 PM, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

I have been reading about a remote activation (with the child at home) and about remote MAPpings with already established patients from their homes recently.  In light of this pandemic and all the cancelled MAPpings and activations, will Med-El offer this to our clinical audiologists anytime soon so we can have our MAPs adjusted remotely from our homes?

Hi @Mary Beth, thanks for your question. I will check with our experts and get back to you soon. Best regards, Verena 

On 4/24/2020 at 4:17 PM, Mary Beth said:

@MED-EL Moderator

Hi @Mary Beth

I now do have an answer from our experts from the US team for you: 

We’re working individually with our clinicians to provide as much support as possible during these unprecedented times. We recommend contacting your clinician to set up a virtual appointment – our Clinical support team will work with your audiologist separately to make sure they have all the support and resources they need. 

Hope that helps!

Verena 

• Like 2

I cannot see how this would be remotely possible. The processor has to be connected to a PC to be able to adjust the settings. The only solution as I see it, is to setup an effective practice routine. I think that practice helps your brain to adjust so that when you have your next mapping it will be that much more effective. And when you have that mapping you begin again on a better plateau. After a year I still experience change. .

Peter 

• HearPeers Heroes

@pdk  I have not yet participated in a remote MAPping session but I have been reading research studies for a couple of years that show remote MAPping sessions are very effective.  The pandemic and subsequent closure of almost all CI centers has increased my interest in remote MAPping opportunities.  Here is a screenshot of one of the research studies.  It is from Med-El ‘s website.

138101EF-7C94-46D6-B3EB-1A5B5A5C8D1B.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

@pdk @Mary Beth

I read a Facebook post recently where a person was either activated or mapped remotely. Apparently the audiologist sent the person a device to plug into his computer and it worked! It wasn't Med-El though but it shows that doing these things remotely is indeed possible and now this pandemic will force all CI manufacturers to see how they can progress in that area. 

I certainly would love it as it would save me a lot of money as I would no longer have to travel to the US for mappings. My last mapping was October 2019 and by the look of things I don't see myself going to the US for another year. Remote mappings can't come too soon for me. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jewel

I agree with you completely.  My last MAPping was November 2019 and my CI center is in New York City.  I have no idea when they will open back up.

I trust Med-El is working on remote MAPping technology because the study I cited above is a Med-El study.  Things take so long to fully implement though and in the US we have the added complication of insurance billing.

All that would be needed is a USB connection to the CI and a program to read and transmit the data. So you would have to buy the cable and download and run the program. It could work from a phone. The audiologist would need a special interface as well. Communication via whatever, no big deal. So why are we waiting?? 

Peter 

• 3 months later...
  • HearPeers Heroes

@pdk

Lots of interest in remote CI programming, especially now with the pandemic.

Many studies called remote programming focus on people living far away from CI centers.  These studies require CI users to go to an office that is staffed and set up for an audiologist to program remotely.

Now with COVID, CI users are posting about wanting to be able to be MAPped by their CI audiologist remotely from their own home.  There are hearing aid brands that offer that now.  I wonder if that will become a possibility for us CI users too.