Audiolink / Roger / Rondo 3 / Sonnet 2

Melissa

Hi everyone,

I am the mother of an 11 year old CI candidate. Right now, he uses Roger technology with his hearing aids for school and sports (soccer, golf, basketball), and it is indispensible! I am assuming we will need ALD when he has implants, too

I know Sonnet 2 has an integrated Roger battery covers, but does anyone know how Rondo 3 may work with the Roger? Also, if we don't get integrated covers, how does the Audiolink compare as an ALD for school or sports? Can we just use Audiolink (instead of Roger)? Or can we use a universal Roger receiver plugged into Audiolink?

One concern I have is battery life. I understand using the Roger drains the battery very quickly (friends say their kids often have to change batteries at school), so I wonder if there is the same issue with the Audiolink and if not, is it comparable to the Roger?

Thanks for reading. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

Wishing your son the very best on his CI journey!

I am a Teacher of the Deaf as well as a bilateral Med-El CI user.  I have both Sonnets and Rondos.

The Roger System is far superior in school settings.  The possible need to switch batteries in the afternoon or choose to use PowerOne Implant disposable batteries is a small item given the superior access to sound in schools with Roger.  Are they using a Roger Touchscreen Mic at school?  That is my favorite Roger mic for schools.

Sonnet 2 has integrated Roger 21 receivers in the special battery cover.

Rondo 3 would require attaching the telecoil adapter to the Rondo 3 port and then using the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver.

For school purposes, Sonnet 2 may be easier.

I am excited for Rondo 3 for my upgrade processors.  It is an exciting processor to me but Sonnet 2 is easier to use with the Roger System.

I have the AudioLink.  It is not comparable to the Roger system for school use in my opinion.  The AudioLink does not have a three prong jack for a Roger receiver to be plugged into.  And even if it did, there is better sound quality using Sonnet Roger 21 battery covers.

I hope this helps.

• Like 2

Thank you! They use the Inspiro, and we have a Pen. I am going to look into the touchscreen mic.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

We had been using Roger Inspiro for years.  Then we upgraded to the Roger Touchscreen Mic.  The students reported better sound access and sound quality right away.  It has three mics that work together so when it is placed on a desk/table during small group work it does a great job picking up voices.  It is worn in a way that better positions it for the teacher’s voice.

• HearPeers Heroes

Mary Beth, this is SO helpful. Thank you. I am going to be bringing this to the next IEP meeting, as well.

Mary Beth, can you explain to me the bi-modal options for using Roger at school, since my son would initially have 1 CI and 1 HA. How could he use Roger with Sonnet 2 and his HA, so that they are in sync? I am assuming the Rondo 3 would not be the best school/Roger option? 

Also, I learned tonight that Med EL is including a option for the Artone 3 Max in the new patient kit.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Melissa

Bimodal listening with Roger is usually very easy and is always in sync.  Smile

Your son already has his hearing aids accessing Roger, right?  Is there a Roger receiver that he attaches to his hearing aids?

I’ll be able to post more accurate info after I know how your son’s hearing aids are receiving Roger.  The most common way is by attaching a Roger receiver to the hearing aid.

If that is the case,  then all that will be needed is to pair the Sonnet 2 Roger 21 receiver to the Roger transmitter (Inspiro or hopefully Roger Touchscreen Mic).

Then just like each hearing aid’s Roger receiver picks up the teacher’s voice from the Roger transmitter.... the Sonnet 2 and other hearing aid will pick up the teacher’s voice.  No setting changes are needed nor no special Sonnet 2 programs are needed.  Just use the Roger 21 Sonnet 2 battery cover after it has been paired with the Roger transmitter.

Make sense?

Rondo 3 and Roger requires that the telecoil adapter be plugged into the Rondo 3 port.  The Roger MyLink neckloop receiver (which is large) be worn around the neck.  The hearing aid be put into MT mode.  This is doable but not nearly as comfortable as the Sonnet 2 option.  And in my experience there are areas and rooms in schools where we encounter electromagnetic interference (EMI) from wiring in the walls, ceilings, fluorescent lights, etc.  Since using the Roger MyLink neckloop receiver requires using telecoil in the CI processor and hearing aid, this EMI is heard as buzzing.  I do not recommend this option for my students.  The Sonnet 2 option above will not encounter this issue.

I learned about the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop being added as a connectivity option in kits in the US yesterday too.  They discussed it specifically as an option for bimodal users, which is true.  However there are many many happy bilateral CI users using Artone.  I am one of them. By far the best connectivity option I have ever tested.  (And I have tested many!  Smile). I have been using mine every day for years.  (I own several so there are always fully charged ones ready.)

Here is a link to my review and captioned videos of Artone in case anyone is interested.  I am not financially involved in the company.  I just love their product and I’m thankful to Med-El Innsbruck for introducing it to me.

http://www.handsonhearing.com/user-review-on-artone-3-max-bluetooth-neckloop/

• 3 weeks later...
Hi.
I have had IC Sonnet for three years. I have the Roger Pen, Roger Select, Roger Mylink, and Roger 21 system.

My experience is the following.
I use Roger Select for meetings. Works better than Roger Pen.
I use the Roger Pen if the person speaking can carry it.
I never use Roger 21 because it mixes the Roger system with Sonnet's hearing when I just want to use Roger.
Something similar to saying that I listen to MT system, when I only want to listen to T.
I always use Roger Mylink with Roger Pen and Roger Select on T system.
Now that we all wear masks I see a lot of difference between listening with the Roger system than without it.
I am very happy with the Roger system. 
Disadvantages:
System T has a problem. Sometimes (very rarely) there is interference from being near electromagnetic fields. For example, near the microwave.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Wind

I am glad you like the Roger system with your Sonnet.  The Roger MyLink neckloop receiver gives us more options than the Roger 21 integrated receiver.  We can easily adjust the volume level of the Roger audio by using the volume control on the Roger MyLink and we have the option to listen to Roger only (T setting) or mixed audio (MT setting).  I agree that encountering electromagnetic interference (EMI) while on T or MT is a disadvantage.

I am curious, have you ever had a person wear the Select using its magnetic clip?  

• 2 months later...

Hey @Mary Beth! I need you to come to my rescue 😘

So, I just had my device selection on Monday, and I chose two Rondo 3s with AudioLink. And now I'm thinking, I don't really need two Audiolinks.

So I thought about the Artone since youre always talking about it, but Rondo3 doesn't have a telecoil. I was also looking into Roger, and I don't see anything about a telecoil, but you mentioned in the comments above, having to use an adapter. So I am guessing that it needs a telecoil also.

One reason I was for Audiolink, was because it is wireless. But again, I don't need two. 

If I purchased this adapter, do you know if it would work with either Artone 3, or Roger clip? Would I need to purchase anything else, maybe?

If anybody knows, it's you! 😁

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

Exciting!  You only need 1 AudioLink. You have that already from your first CI kit?

Rondo 3 has a telecoil adapter.  I believe it comes in the kit automatically but check to be sure.  If you attach that telecoil adapter to your Rondo 3 port, you can easily use the Artone 3 MAX BT neckloop (my favorite connectivity device so far).

@Mary Beth, Thank you! 

I will check with my audiologist on Monday to see if it comes with an adapter. 

Have you used the Roger in any form? If so, why do you prefer Artone over it? 

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

Yes I have Roger and have used it in schools with students as well.  Roger is great for hearing speech at a distance.  That is what it was originally designed for and it excels in that.  Roger Select is very impressive also at hearing speech in noise at a small table.

But Roger is clumsy at streaming audio from phones, etc.  It handles phone calls via BT but requires use of cables or an A2DP converter app for music, podcasts, movies, audiobooks. (In this way Roger and the AudioLink are similar.)

Roger also always requires both a transmitter (Roger Select, Roger Pen, Roger Clip On....) and a receiver (Roger 21 or Roger X with FM cover for Sonnet/Sonnet 2, Roger MyLink neckloop receiver for Rondo 2/Rondo 3).  So it is cumbersome to use for phone calls.

Artone is soooo much smaller and lighter than the Roger MyLink.  It also connects to all BT.  And it streams ALL kinds of audio.  It has a built in mic to pick up our voices for others so calls are hands free and all we use is the one item.  Much more user friendly and much more flexible.

I have AudioLink, Roger Select/Roger MyLink and Artone.  The only one I use in my everyday life is the Artone.  For me it is the best by far.

People have individual preferences for tech.  So experimenting with tech options is helpful to find the tech that works best for you.

As I have mentioned before, my gauge on helpful tech is......  are we still using it one year later?  

I have been using the Artone almost everyday for over 4 years.  A winner in my book.  I own several.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Joan also has experimented a bit with Roger Select/Roger MyLink and she owns several Artone neckloops as well.  Maybe she will share her thoughts too?

@tmscarlett10 As @Mary Beth said, I have use the Artone neck loop and I also have several. I experimented briefly with the Roger Select/Roger MyLink system but found it to be more cumbersome and less effective than the Artone neck loop. 

The Artone neck loop is so light, small, and easy to use. I use it daily for audiobooks, music, and phone calls. I can also use it with my tv but usually do not need it for that.

I love the Artone neck loop and highly recommend it!

@Mary Bethand @Joan,

Thank you very much for both of your inputs!  🥰

It sounds like artone is pretty superior over Roger. 

I will ask my audiologist if she can make that change. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@tmscarlett10

It is for me.  If you are willing to pay $129, you can purchase the Artone online and choose the Roger in your kit.  Then you can see which works best for you.  The Artone is significantly less expensive than the Roger and AudioLink options.