Ssd adult rehab with rondo 2

Lori m

Hello all, 

thank you in advance for any tips useful for rehab with single side deaf.

i still haven’t found anything particularly useful.

listening apps that are directed into c. I only, do not come even close to real life hearing. If I listen “out loud” to the apps, then my real ear hears instead of my bionic ear. This happens even with good ear plugs and noise canceling head phones. 

In real life, background noise and distance between me and the person speaking, make it impossible to catch words.

i haven’t figured out how to practice and improve my understanding.

Audi appointments do direct connect testIng,  and say that I’m doing great, when actually I am failing badly in real life.

any advice or past experience would be terrific!

lori

• HearPeers Heroes

I also am SSD. You need to plug into your listening app to isolate that CI side. Yes it sounds weird but it's the only way to force it to get better!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lori m

There was a difference in time for me between when I was able to repeat words correctly during speech testing and when those words sounded natural and full.  Even after my CI ear plateaued in speech testing scores, sound quality continued to improve.

We discussed experiences with single sided deafness & CI during our November video chat.  When people have one perfect acoustic ear and one CI, we wondered whether audio rehab should focus on pushing the CI ear as far as it can go separately or working both ears together in order to get the best combined outcome?

Aural rehab for single sided deaf with a CI is a relatively young field.

Let’s ask @MED-EL Moderator if they have resources specifically for aural rehab for adults with single sided deafness and CI.

Hi @Lori m, here is what rehab expert Natalie shared with me for you: 

Hi Lori

It sounds like you are doing a great job with your CI rehabilitation – trialling different conditions and continuing to challenge yourself. I encourage you to keep going!  

Here are a couple of tips

Although this material was written for professionals, it may be of help to you especially the section ‘Development of Binaural Benefit’ on page 4.

• I would encourage that you slowly add background noise to your practice condition. First, use familiar materials (ones that you find easy with your CI alone and a direct connection) add low background noise while listening ‘out loud’ with your CI and have your typically hearing ear blocked (noise cancelling headphones or ear plugs).

Then slowly increase the background noise volume.

Then vary the background noise in this condition.  White noise or orchestral music (anything without singing/lyrics) may be easier that speech babble background noise.

Also think about where you position the device which is playing the background noise and where you position the device with the target speech (what you want to listen to and understand). Change these conditions around e.g. target speech on CI side with noise on typically hearing ear side, both devices on your CI side, both on your typically hearing ear side.

• Like 2

Thank you Mary Beth for the list of articles. Very interesting content, all very clinical with glowing research results that I am a bit envious of.

Thank you verena for the fast reply.

i will look at attachment when I’m not working.   No I wouldn’t say I’m doing great at rehab, or trying different situations. I’m simply trying to participate in life at work and at home.  Currently both are full of frustration caused by missing/misunderstanding speech.

im also still hoping others will comment on travel case ideas.

thank you all and happy thanksgiving!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lori m

@Kylie has had a very interesting way of having her CI electrode levels measured for single sided deafness.

I did post about travel cases on a different topic perhaps?  I use a travel case from Med-El for backup processors and spare parts.  I use a zippered case for other items.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Lori m

travel case options from Med-El 

The zippered soft case I use is from Vera Bradley I believe.  Any zippered case would do.

18 hours ago, MED-EL Moderator said:

Hi @Lori m, here is what rehab expert Natalie shared with me for you: 

Hi Lori

It sounds like you are doing a great job with your CI rehabilitation – trialling different conditions and continuing to challenge yourself. I encourage you to keep going!  

Here are a couple of tips

Although this material was written for professionals, it may be of help to you especially the section ‘Development of Binaural Benefit’ on page 4.

• I would encourage that you slowly add background noise to your practice condition. First, use familiar materials (ones that you find easy with your CI alone and a direct connection) add low background noise while listening ‘out loud’ with your CI and have your typically hearing ear blocked (noise cancelling headphones or ear plugs).

Then slowly increase the background noise volume.

Then vary the background noise in this condition.  White noise or orchestral music (anything without singing/lyrics) may be easier that speech babble background noise.

Also think about where you position the device which is playing the background noise and where you position the device with the target speech (what you want to listen to and understand). Change these conditions around e.g. target speech on CI side with noise on typically hearing ear side, both devices on your CI side, both on your typically hearing ear side.

excellent article. Will definitely add more info about Med-El on my website. Med-El definitely has the most progressive forum and keeps adding new rehab resources. 

• Like 1