Upgrade to Rondo3?

MarkRichards

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik and @zeynepody

I agree with you both.  The Rondo 3 battery life should be much longer.  I hope Rondo 4 has a much longer battery life.

@zeynepody I am glad you like how Rondo 3 sounds.

3 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Salik and @zeynepody

I agree with you both.  The Rondo 3 battery life should be much longer.  I hope Rondo 4 has a much longer battery life.

@zeynepody I am glad you like how Rondo 3 sounds.

I think Rondo 2 and Rondo 3 battery size is same, no upgrade on battery life but i hope Rondo 4 does.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

People consistently report much longer battery life with Rondo 2 than with Rondo 3.

8 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Salik

People consistently report much longer battery life with Rondo 2 than with Rondo 3.

Yes that what hold me off to get Rondo 3, i dont know if its worth an upgrade from Rondo 2 because i really want ASM, dual mics and noise suppression which is big improvement over Rondo 2. i remember i had sonnet for a week and it was so much better in clarity with background noise, i want the same on Rondo 3 but battery life is big negative point.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Salik

That is a difficult decision.  If you are willing to either use the mini battery pack with cable to Rondo 3 or a power pack with the USB cable to Rondo 3, you would always be able to extend your battery life without “down time”.  I am not interested in doing that everyday.  So I gave up my wish for Rondo 3 and I will choose Sonnet 2.

After using AudioStream with my Sonnet 1, I am excited to choose Sonnet 2.  I really love streaming music with AudioStream.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, zeynepody said:

@Mary Beth yes , but I ordered powerbank for my Rondo 3 :)

did you order powerbank with built-in wireless charging pad or just a simple power bank connect with charging pad which i do on travelling.

18 hours ago, Mary Beth said:

@Salik

That is a difficult decision.  If you are willing to either use the mini battery pack with cable to Rondo 3 or a power pack with the USB cable to Rondo 3, you would always be able to extend your battery life without “down time”.  I am not interested in doing that everyday.  So I gave up my wish for Rondo 3 and I will choose Sonnet 2.

After using AudioStream with my Sonnet 1, I am excited to choose Sonnet 2.  I really love streaming music with AudioStream.

Even m not interested in using mini battery pack with cable or power pack with usb cable. I will rather charge from the wireless charging pad. Does Rondo 3 turn off by phone app connecting thru bluetooth or even from rondo 3 finetuner? It would be nice if it turn off from either app or finetuner without removing to extend your battery time for night time.

@AliU83I also got to Mass Eye & Ear and was just implanted in November 2020 for SSD. I have the Rondo 3 and I thought I would prefer it over the Sonnet but: I don't trust myself wearing it for some reason I'm always weary that it will fall off (and I don't want to use the clip they provide), and now that I use AudioStream I prefer not having to carry the AudioLink etc. I do wish the Rondo 3 had built in streaming capabilities that would prob. get me to use it more often but I love knowing I have a backup processor. But overall when I have used the Rondo 3 I haven't noticed a big difference between the 2 processors. I wish the FDA would approve ASM3 to see what kind of benefits we might get. 

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

I wish ASM 3 was available in the US too. Until we see the FDA approval, we will not know when Med-El submitted ASM 3 for FDA approval.  At this point we do not know whether ASM 3 has even been submitted yet to the FDA.

ASM 2 was available in Europe in 2014 but not available in the US until 2017. (3 years later)

ASM 3 has been available in Europe since fall 2019.

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

I know.  And maybe we will get lucky and ASM 3 will become available soon.  But I imagine the pandemic definitely isn’t helping the process if it involves research with CI users in person.  

• Like 1

I'm going to reach out to Medel and ask if they have submitted  it yet this is crazy town, before I got the implant I imagined that they would be doing constant firmware updates like I get with my Canon camera . . . . crazy town!

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

It’s my understanding that there are firmware updates.  But new front end sound pre-processing features require FDA approval.  I do not know what is involved beforehand in order to submit it to the FDA.  There may be requirements for research/testing that differ from the CE Mark approval process.

Until something receives FDA approval, Med-El US does not/can not discuss it.  That is my understanding.

One of the many benefits of this international forum for me is learning from others about features/devices as we await availability in the US.

If you hear anything about ASM 3 availability in the US, please let us know.  I have been checking for it as, like you, I am eager to experience the adaptive intelligence features of ASM 3.

• Like 1

@Jared Charney That's good that you can't tell a huge difference between the Sonnet and Rondo 3. The difference between Sonnet and Rondo 1 is huge. But, it took me over a year to realize just how large the difference was, while my brain adjusted. I wore the Rondo 1 primarily until I was able to capitalize on the benefits the sonnet has over it.

As for the clip--I made my own with the Rondo 1. It likely won't work for short hair, though. I have my own thin fishing wire that I loop through the notch and I attach a small sized bobby pin to it. It works GREAT and is easier on my hair. The Rondo will occasionally fall off and it never comes off my head because of the bobby pin.

• Like 2

Oo hello guys! Zeynep, so pleased to have seen you here, too! I am so delightful to see you have enjoyed Rondo 3 with such a much better higher improvement over Rondo1. Like you said the battery life longed only 16 hours? Still confused to get to know this fact, because Rondo 3 was told to be supposed to long almost till 24 hours..Anyway,  enjoy it! All the best!

Hello, all.

This is my first of probably many posts to this forum. I have just  had my assessment for a CI and I am a candidate. I live in Canada, and the implant and surgery is covered by our universal health care system, for which I am very grateful, but I don't get to choose the brand of implant. It is up to the surgeon and the implant team. However, the audiologist told me that it is very likely I will be implanted with Med-El as it is the implant of choice with my surgeon. I am okay with that due to the MRI safety. She went on to show me the BTE and OTE processors - the government will also cover the cost of the first processor. 

I was surprised that the audiologist seemed to really be endorsing the Rondo, inspite of my reservations. I am afraid of losing it, but battery life is the biggest drawback. However, she was very enamored of the Rondo and how it was all contained in a closed unit, eliminating all the fiddling with batteries etc. So I took another look at the Rondo3 and compared it to the Sonnet.

Med-El puts out great YouTube videos. I discovered that the maintenance of the Rondo3 is much less involved than the Sonnet. I did not know that the Sonnets (and I assume all BTE brands) have to be dried every night, and I am not impressed with how to change out the batteries - I am so used to flipping open my hearing aids and popping in a fresh disposable battery and snapping it shut again in seconds. These BTE processors are quite fiddly when it comes to changing batteries, and the contacts have to be cleaned ... my goodness, I am not sure I want to deal with that every evening.

So the Rondo3 is looking very attractive to me for ease of use. The battery life, though, still is disappointing, and being an enclosed unit means I cannot just rely on spare batteries.I do know about the external battery pack - but it doesn't thrill me to have to attach that for my last couple of hours in the evening. And what happens when that enclosed battery has reached its limit of recharging cycles? The audiologist reassured me that, if it is under warranty, I just get a new processor. Hmmm ... if it is out of warranty ... I would have no choice but to purchase a new processor ...

So with all that preamble out of the way ... I am now getting to my question:  I guess I am suspicious by nature, but I did wonder if my audiologist might be promoting the Rondo3 because it is perhaps cheaper than the Sonnet? Given the first processor is covered by the government, could her endorsement of the Rondo over the Sonnet be down to the cost? Or might she just be considering my age (mid 60's) and promoting it because it is simpler to use? Can anyone tell me if there is in fact any significant difference in cost? Thanks!

• HearPeers Heroes

@HuroniaGirl

Welcome to HearPeers.  Getting ready for CI surgery is very exciting!

In the US, Rondo 3 and Sonnet 2 kits are the same price.

It is quite easy to change the Sonnet 2 batteries.  I use Power One Implant disposable batteries and they work great.  Battery contacts only need to be cleaned periodically.  Placing Sonnet 2 processors in dry kits overnight only takes a moment.  Sonnet 2 has a new connectivity option for direct streaming from phones/tablets called AudioStream and it is amazing.  It also has a built in telecoil.

The battery life of Rondo 3 is too short for me to feel confident that I can hear all day without using cables.

• Like 1

@Mary Beth - thank you - that eliminates one concern. I just didn't want to be pushed into the Rondo for the wrong reasons!  I must admit that I am very tired of things hanging off my ears, and competing for space with my glasses. Do you find the the Sonnet heavy?