2 year check up

Kylie

• HearPeers Heroes

I am due for my 2 year check up very soon. After going so often in the first year it's been a seemingly long whole year since I last saw my audiologist. 

Any tips on what to expect, or things I should ask about? I honestly have no ideas! All my little questions have been answered in this forum 😉

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Kylie

nope.  If all is going great, just enjoy the appt.  smile. Let us know how things go.

• Like 2

@Kyliehow many times did you go during the first year? Did you ever feel like you weren't making progress? I feel like the last month while streaming and/or just daily living that I'm just spinning my wheels. I'm still completely thrilled to have gotten the implant etc. but I just hope I haven't already peaked

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

I’m sure Kylie will chime in when she can.  

I “peaked” in the test booth at some point BUT did not peak in my daily life.  Although the tests scored the same, significant improvements were happening in my real life.  It’s when I redirected my focus to real life listening only.

At today’s chat we discussed training for listening in noise and training for listening at a distance.  It really helped me a lot.

Listening in noise training:

BA855B78-4B9D-4919-8F2D-60A3A1C4D39B.jpeg

• HearPeers Heroes

@Jared Charney

and also download this new free app.  Skip the pretest.  Start with the left column and work across for more difficulty.  Going down within a column gives different activities at the same level.  

The bottom left has a button to turn on noise for speech in noise training.

B5729C1A-C3D6-4A2B-86F3-02BB978FE336.jpeg

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
19 minutes ago, Mary Beth said:

@Jared Charney

I’m sure Kylie will chime in when she can.  

I “peaked” in the test booth at some point BUT did not peak in my daily life.  Although the tests scored the same, significant improvements were happening in my real life.  It’s when I redirected my focus to real life listening only.

At today’s chat we discussed training for listening in noise and training for listening at a distance.  It really helped me a lot.

I'll second what Mary Beth said - no peak so far in real life!  Many sounds continue to gain clarity.  My listening in noise training is called "going to work".  🙂 

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Featherston

I laughed out loud!  So true!

But with retirement in a pandemic, I have returned to training speech in noise a bit to brush up!

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes

@Mary Beth yes, I can see that.  My challenge has been that in order to accomodate my masks, I've been using my Rondo2s this whole year, and while I am not back in the production areas as much as I used to be, I do walk through from time to time and man, there's a huge difference between standing next to the machine making masking tape with Rondos vs. Sonnets.

• Like 1

• HearPeers Heroes
On 4/18/2021 at 11:23 PM, Jared Charney said:

@Kyliehow many times did you go during the first year? Did you ever feel like you weren't making progress? I feel like the last month while streaming and/or just daily living that I'm just spinning my wheels. I'm still completely thrilled to have gotten the implant etc. but I just hope I haven't already peaked

I went every week for 4 weeks, then at 3 months, then 6 months, then 12 months. Now at 2 years.

I can't tell as much difference this year, I am doing less objective testing at home and more audiobooks and podcasts.  

Maybe I should pop back onto angelsounds and do some tests...

• Like 2

• HearPeers Heroes
On 4/18/2021 at 3:36 PM, Mary Beth said:

@Mary Featherston

You are missing the ASM 2 features of the Sonnets!  

Yes, I am.  And occasionally it bites me, but it's SO EASY to pop my mask on and off with the Rondo2s.  Mostly I sit in my office so I don't have to wear the mask until I get up.  I'm looking forward to using my Sonnets again, but for now this really makes things simple.